Jump to topic:

What is Anarchy

Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 9:32:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is a call to all you anarchists out there, from the anarcho-caps, to the anarcho-commies. To tell me what Anarchy is about tell me what an anarichal system would be like. Not just your platform and what you want, but explain to me how your system would work, explain what an Anarchist world would look like, tell me what the day in the life of someone who lived in an anarchist planet would be like. Tell the pro's and con's of Anarchy try and convert me to Anarchy.
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 9:35:42 AM
At 7/2/2010 9:32:31 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
Tell the pro's and con's of Anarchy try and convert me to Anarchy.

Why should I? You're not the boss of me.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 9:37:12 AM
At 7/2/2010 9:35:42 AM, Reasoning wrote:

LOL, funny but seriously I am on a quest for knowledge and want to know what anarchy really is as I live in middle class Christian suburb in the middle of Utah I am not exposed to a whole lot of "radical" ideas
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 9:43:06 AM

See, society requires coercion or it fails.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:01:32 AM
At 7/2/2010 9:43:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

See, society requires coercion or it fails.

Only in retaliation.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:08:00 AM
See, the problem with that is each anarchist has different ideas. Anarchy can be split into two schools of thought (social and individualistic), but even inside of that, people choose what they support. I'll give you a very brief and limited synopsis:

Social anarchism is the belief in communes, rather than government. Mikhail Bakunin and Johann Most are commonly linked with social anarchism. Inside of social anarchism there is "anarcho-communism" and "anarcho-syndicalism", which appeared in the early 20th century. The beliefs that all three share is the rejection of private property, seeing it as a source of social inequality. Social anarchism is used to specifically describe tendencies within anarchism that have an emphasis on the communitarian and cooperative aspects of anarchist theory and practice.

However, there is dispute (of course). Anarchist communists propose that the freest form of social organisation would be a society composed of self-governing communes with collective use of the means of production, organized by direct democracy or, and related to other communes through federation. However, some anarchist communists oppose the majoritarian nature of direct democracy, feeling that it can impede individual liberty.

Individualistic anarchism emphasizes the individual and their will over any kinds of external determinants such as groups, society, traditions, and ideological systems. Individualist anarchism is not a single philosophy but refers to a group of individualistic philosophies that sometimes are in conflict. The basic beliefs that are usually in common are: The concentration on the individual and his/her will over any construction such as morality, ideology, social custom, religion, metaphysics, ideas or the will of others; The rejection or reservations on the idea of revolution seeing it as a time of mass uprising which could bring about new hierarchies.

Instead they favor more evolutionary methods of bringing about anarchy through alternative experiences and experiments and education which could be brought about today. Also because it is not seen desirable for individuals the fact of having to wait for revolution to start experiencing alternative experiences outside what is offered in the current social system; and lastly, the view that relationships with other persons or things can only be of one's own interest and can be as transitory and without compromises as desired since in individualist anarchism sacrifice is usually rejected.

Now keep in mind that this is a very basic, and brief overview. Not all anarchists feel they fit in these categories and may only agree with few of these points. I think that the most basic belief for all of anarchists is: The government is corrupt and useless; get rid of it. :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:13:03 AM
At 7/2/2010 10:08:00 AM, annhasle wrote:

You have given me a good answer but you have not answered the question make me understand what an anarchial society is like. You for example say your ideology is Anarchist if you could remake the entire world to fit the type of anarchy that you describe what would change what would it be like to live a day in the life of your anarchy?

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:22:02 AM
"Anarchy is the radical notion that other people are not your property." - Roderick Long
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:22:49 AM
At 7/2/2010 10:22:02 AM, Reasoning wrote:
"Anarchy is the radical notion that other people are not your property." - Roderick Long

Again although technically correct not the type of answer I seek

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:24:46 AM
At 7/2/2010 10:22:02 AM, Reasoning wrote:

Um, I think Roderick is missing is dictionary. Many non-anarchists still disagree with that statement.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:26:06 AM
At 7/2/2010 10:24:46 AM, mongeese wrote:
Um, I think Roderick is missing is dictionary. Many non-anarchists still disagree with that statement.

The anarchists are the only ones that truly believe it, though.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:28:33 AM
At 7/2/2010 10:26:06 AM, Reasoning wrote:
At 7/2/2010 10:24:46 AM, mongeese wrote:

The anarchists are the only ones that truly believe it, though.

Am I an anarchist?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:34:50 AM
At 7/2/2010 10:13:03 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

You have given me a good answer but you have not answered the question make me understand what an anarchial society is like. You for example say your ideology is Anarchist if you could remake the entire world to fit the type of anarchy that you describe what would change what would it be like to live a day in the life of your anarchy?

Hmm.... the thing is, I'm one of those anarchists that don't necessarily fall into one of those categories. I like points on both sides, but some can conflict. :P

I do believe in personal property, since I believe bad leadership and stupid economical sanctions as the source of inequity. I have the basic individualistic anarchism ideal; free from any kind of external determinants such as groups, society, traditions, and ideological systems but only to an extent. I do not want to be "forced" into a group or certain kind of society. However, the existence of communes would be helpful. You should be free to choose if you wanted to join in on a commune of live by your own creed on personal property.

I do not believe violent actions should be imposed to enforce any kind of anarchist agenda. Violence leads to the setting up of gangs/groups to further enforce violence so that they can "keep it in order". Then we have a sort of hierarchy set up. Counter productive, much? I think a good regulatory system would be a free market. :)

Now, I can't say what daily life would really be like because as you can see, trying to imagine every detail of a new government and weighing out the pros and cons of each idea put into action. '-_-
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:35:55 AM
At 7/2/2010 10:34:50 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 7/2/2010 10:13:03 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

Hmm.... the thing is, I'm one of those anarchists that don't necessarily fall into one of those categories. I like points on both sides, but some can conflict. :P

I do believe in personal property, since I believe bad leadership and stupid economical sanctions as the source of inequity. I have the basic individualistic anarchism ideal; free from any kind of external determinants such as groups, society, traditions, and ideological systems but only to an extent. I do not want to be "forced" into a group or certain kind of society. However, the existence of communes would be helpful. You should be free to choose if you wanted to join in on a commune of live by your own creed on personal property.

I do not believe violent actions should be imposed to enforce any kind of anarchist agenda. Violence leads to the setting up of gangs/groups to further enforce violence so that they can "keep it in order". Then we have a sort of hierarchy set up. Counter productive, much? I think a good regulatory system would be a free market. :)

Now, I can't say what daily life would really be like because as you can see, trying to imagine every detail of a new government and weighing out the pros and cons of each idea put into action. '-_-

Thank you you have been more helpful than most of the other answers I have gotten

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 10:40:04 AM
...Baby don't rule me. Baby don't rule me. No more.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.