Jump to topic:

Is healthcare a right?

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 2:21:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think it is. If someone does not want to be sick or injured, tjey have the right to receive healthcare. without healthcare, I will die. I feel that I have the right to live and be healthy.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 3:34:45 PM
At 1/30/2015 2:21:25 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I think it is. If someone does not want to be sick or injured, tjey have the right to receive healthcare. without healthcare, I will die. I feel that I have the right to live and be healthy.

It's such a crazy idea - it just might work!
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:21:37 PM
At 1/30/2015 3:34:45 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

It's such a crazy idea - it just might work!
THANK YOU. :D
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:24:54 PM

healthcare is not a right.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:31:03 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:24:54 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

YES IT IS. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE HEALTHY. IF I DONT WANT TO BE SICK OR INJURED, I DONT HAVE TO.
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:39:51 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:31:03 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

YES IT IS. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE HEALTHY. IF I DONT WANT TO BE SICK OR INJURED, I DONT HAVE TO.

The only rights you have are the things you come into this world with. You are born with your rights which are life liberty and the pursuits of happiness. Things like healthcare, food, shelter, and clothing are not rights, you are not entitled to any of these things, but you have the right to try to obtain them through the pursuit of happiness. If the only way for some people to get it, is to force others to pay for it, then its not a right.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:42:45 PM
Is the right to life a negative or positive right?

Society is required to not kill you, but is society required to save you from being killed?
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:45:34 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:39:51 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

The only rights you have are the things you come into this world with. You are born with your rights which are life liberty and the pursuits of happiness. Things like healthcare, food, shelter, and clothing are not rights, you are not entitled to any of these things, but you have the right to try to obtain them through the pursuit of happiness. If the only way for some people to get it, is to force others to pay for it, then its not a right.
I HAVE THE RIGHT TO RECEIVE HEALTHCARE. WITHOUT HEALTHCARE, I WILL DIE, AND I HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE. YOU CONSERVATIVES NEVER CARE ABOUT PEOPLES RIGHTS.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:47:34 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:42:45 PM, Praesentya wrote:

Society is required to not kill you, but is society required to save you from being killed?

THE RIGHT TO LIFE IS BA POSITIVE RIGHT.
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:48:36 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:45:34 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO RECEIVE HEALTHCARE. WITHOUT HEALTHCARE, I WILL DIE, AND I HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE. YOU CONSERVATIVES NEVER CARE ABOUT PEOPLES RIGHTS.
False healthcare is not required for life, healthcare simply makes life better and most often longer, so it only improves life.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:53:54 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:48:36 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

False healthcare is not required for life, healthcare simply makes life better and most often longer, so it only improves life.

YOU ARE WRONG. I NEED HEALTHCARE TO LIVE. YOU HAVE NO IDEA QHAT MEDICAL PROBLEMS. IT IS MY BODY, MY RIGHT, AND MY CHOICE. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE HEALTHY. YOU WILL NOT CHANGE MY MIND ON HEALTHCARE RIGHTS.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:54:03 PM

What good is a "right to life" if that life that you have a right too doesn't at least have some sort quality of life protections. Eg health care, housing, food, water.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:54:39 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:47:34 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Then by your statement, health care is not a right insofar as saving human lives.

As far as I'm concerned, health care ought to be a privilege, not a right. Society should not be bailing out unhealthy people if they became unhealthy through years of laziness and/or other poor decisions. Health care should be an option for those who take the appropriate preventative measures to stay healthy, or those who have pre-existing conditions which stop them from being healthy.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:57:19 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:54:39 PM, Praesentya wrote:

Then by your statement, health care is not a right insofar as saving human lives.

As far as I'm concerned, health care ought to be a privilege, not a right. Society should not be bailing out unhealthy people if they became unhealthy through years of laziness and/or other poor decisions. Health care should be an option for those who take the appropriate preventative measures to stay healthy, or those who have pre-existing conditions which stop them from being healthy.
YES IT IS. HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT. I HAVEW THE RIGHT TO BE HEALTHY.
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:58:23 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:54:03 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

What good is a "right to life" if that life that you have a right too doesn't at least have some sort quality of life protections. Eg health care, housing, food, water.

The quality of your life should be dependent on you and the choices you make. It isn't the responsibility of others to make sure your happy.
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:00:04 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:58:23 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

The quality of your life should be dependent on you and the choices you make. It isn't the responsibility of others to make sure your happy.

You do not have the right to be healthy, whether or not your healthy is dependent on you and the choices you make.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:01:26 PM

This isn't about happiness, it's about some sort of minimal standards that we as a society won't let people drop below
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:02:27 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:53:54 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 1/30/2015 5:48:36 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

YOU ARE WRONG. I NEED HEALTHCARE TO LIVE. YOU HAVE NO IDEA QHAT MEDICAL PROBLEMS. IT IS MY BODY, MY RIGHT, AND MY CHOICE. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE HEALTHY. YOU WILL NOT CHANGE MY MIND ON HEALTHCARE RIGHTS.

You do not have the right to be healthy, whether or not your healthy is dependent on you and the choices you make. I don't care about changing your mind.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:02:28 PM

JOW VERY CONSERVATIVE OF YOU.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:03:29 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:57:19 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 1/30/2015 5:54:39 PM, Praesentya wrote:

YES IT IS. HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT. I HAVEW THE RIGHT TO BE HEALTHY.

Having the right to be healthy does not make health care a right, do you see what I'm saying?

You can be healthy or unhealthy if you want to. But health care isn't about you, or anyone in particular, it is about a society. While you may have the right to be healthy, does society have an obligation to make you healthy, thereby making health care a right?
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:04:31 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:01:26 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

This isn't about happiness, it's about some sort of minimal standards that we as a society won't let people drop below

Im just saying the standards on how you live should be dependent on you and your choices you.
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:05:37 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:02:28 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I'm a libertarian
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:11:06 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:04:31 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

Im just saying the standards on how you live should be dependent on you and your choices you.

In a perfect world perhaps...........but we live in a world where people straight of the bat are born into great discrepancy. The son of a king or president and the riches and privileged that will go with it to make their life easier.

The person born into crushing poverty and ill health and the hard ship that goes with it.

Until the day we live in such a world we have to take such things into account and stop pretending the poor, powerless, ill etc etc are there only if they had made better decisions while the rich and powerful are there cause they made such great decisions.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:13:15 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:05:37 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

I'm a libertarian

AND I AM A LIBERAL BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN HELPING THE POOR. YOU MAY VERY WELL BE A LIBERTARIAN, BUT YOUR VIEWS ON HEALTHCARE ARE CONSERVATIVE. I TOTALLY JUST GAINED RESPECT FOR YOU BECAUSAE I AGREE WITH LIBERTARIANS ON SOME THINGS WHILE DISAGREEING ON OTHERS. WE SHOULD CHAT SOMETIME.
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:14:32 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:11:06 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/30/2015 6:04:31 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

In a perfect world perhaps...........but we live in a world where people straight of the bat are born into great discrepancy. The son of a king or president and the riches and privileged that will go with it to make their life easier.

The person born into crushing poverty and ill health and the hard ship that goes with it.

Until the day we live in such a world we have to take such things into account and stop pretending the poor, powerless, ill etc etc are there only if they had made better decisions while the rich and powerful are there cause they made such great decisions.

so are you claiming that it is impossible for people that are born into poverty or ill health to reach successes
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:20:44 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:13:15 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I'm a libertarian

AND I AM A LIBERAL BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN HELPING THE POOR. YOU MAY VERY WELL BE A LIBERTARIAN, BUT YOUR VIEWS ON HEALTHCARE ARE CONSERVATIVE. I TOTALLY JUST GAINED RESPECT FOR YOU BECAUSAE I AGREE WITH LIBERTARIANS ON SOME THINGS WHILE DISAGREEING ON OTHERS. WE SHOULD CHAT SOMETIME.

I believe the people should be free to reach there own goals and there own success. The government doesn't care about the poor, they have no intention on helping people become independent from the government only to make people dependent on them. I think I'm getting off topic a little bit. You being healthy should be dependent on you not others.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:24:46 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:20:44 PM, Josh_debate wrote:

I'm a libertarian

I believe the people should be free to reach there own goals and there own success. The government doesn't care about the poor, they have no intention on helping people become independent from the government only to make people dependent on them. I think I'm getting off topic a little bit. You being healthy should be dependent on you not others.

FAOR ENOUGH. I STILL THINK HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT, BUT I CAN RESPECT YOUR STATEMENT. RON PAUL OR GARY JOHNSON?
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:25:33 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:24:46 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I'm a libertarian

FAOR ENOUGH. I STILL THINK HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT, BUT I CAN RESPECT YOUR STATEMENT. RON PAUL OR GARY JOHNSON?

thanks
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:28:33 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:25:33 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 1/30/2015 6:24:46 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I'm a libertarian

thanks

YOU BET. KETS START OVER?
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:32:34 PM

How is something a right, if by exercising that right, you strip others of their right?
If healthcare is a right, then someone MUST be forced to perform said healthcare, which means they have less rights, to their time, their money (can you pay?), their supplies, etc.

Further, if healthcare is a right, then why can I be sued by doctors for not paying for my what is a right?