Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Is selective sex abortion ok?

gingerbread-man
Posts: 301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 10:50:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Ethically, I think it is very hard to argue either side.
Tsar of DDO
gingerbread-man
Posts: 301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 12:41:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 10:50:06 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Ethically, I think it is very hard to argue either side.

Male vs female or "normal" abortion Vs sex selective abortion?
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 12:41:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 12:41:12 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
At 1/31/2015 10:50:06 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Ethically, I think it is very hard to argue either side.

Male vs female or "normal" abortion Vs sex selective abortion?

It is very hard to argue for or against sex selective abortion.
Tsar of DDO
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 1:26:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Another question or variation is this; "If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body," why then are there any limits on abortion at all? Wouldn't a law that says no elective abortions after 24 weeks be a violation of her rights?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
gingerbread-man
Posts: 301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 1:37:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 12:41:59 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/31/2015 12:41:12 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
At 1/31/2015 10:50:06 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Ethically, I think it is very hard to argue either side.

Male vs female or "normal" abortion Vs sex selective abortion?

It is very hard to argue for or against sex selective abortion.

Why would arguing for sex selective abortion be hard, especially in countries where one particular sex can result in a family being very financially disadvantaged?
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:03:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 10:50:06 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Ethically, I think it is very hard to argue either side.

Pretty easy to argue against it if you believe that life begins at conception.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:06:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Pro-abortion people absolutely squirm when you ask them this. Completely tears down their farcical "abortion rights are to protect women" stance.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:14:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 2:06:44 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Pro-abortion people

Do you mean pro-choice?

absolutely squirm when you ask them this.

Psh. I am pro-choice and think it is fine (if it is still before the 3rd trimester).

Completely tears down their farcical "abortion rights are to protect women" stance.

Not everyone that is pro-choice uses the same arguments.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:35:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 2:14:37 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/31/2015 2:06:44 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

Pro-abortion people

Do you mean pro-choice?

No, I mean people who want abortion to be legal. They are hence pro-abortion.

absolutely squirm when you ask them this.

Psh. I am pro-choice and think it is fine (if it is still before the 3rd trimester).

Lol so what magically happens between the second and third trimesters that turns abortion from right to wrong?

Completely tears down their farcical "abortion rights are to protect women" stance.

Not everyone that is pro-choice uses the same arguments.

True. But they are all essentially trying to justify murder.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 3:12:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 2:35:03 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 2:14:37 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you mean pro-choice?

No, I mean people who want abortion to be legal. They are hence pro-abortion.

Someone can be against abortion, but still take the position that it is the women's choice. Saying "pro-abortion" instead of "pro-choice" is a strawman.

Psh. I am pro-choice and think it is fine (if it is still before the 3rd trimester).

Lol so what magically happens between the second and third trimesters that turns abortion from right to wrong?

The cerebral cortex starts working, giving the fetus higher brain functions, making it is person.

Not everyone that is pro-choice uses the same arguments.

True. But they are all essentially trying to justify murder.

Abortion=/=murder
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 3:14:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 5:58:31 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, is it ok if she decides to abort her pregnancy based on the sex of the baby.

yes.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 3:19:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 3:12:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/31/2015 2:35:03 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 2:14:37 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you mean pro-choice?

No, I mean people who want abortion to be legal. They are hence pro-abortion.

Someone can be against abortion, but still take the position that it is the women's choice. Saying "pro-abortion" instead of "pro-choice" is a strawman.

Not really. Saying pro-choice instead of pro-abortion is a weasel way of distancing yourself from the implications of your actions. For example, say I want to legalize slavery. But I am personally against slavery, I just want it to be the slaveowner's choice. Would you say I am pro-choice or pro-slavery? Or say I want to legalize dog-fighting. I don't personally want to make dogs fight each other, I just think it should be the dog owner's choice. Am I pro-choice, or pro-dogfighting?

Psh. I am pro-choice and think it is fine (if it is still before the 3rd trimester).

Lol so what magically happens between the second and third trimesters that turns abortion from right to wrong?

The cerebral cortex starts working, giving the fetus higher brain functions, making it is person.

So, do you think severely retarded people or people who are in comas are not people?

Not everyone that is pro-choice uses the same arguments.

True. But they are all essentially trying to justify murder.

Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 3:42:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 3:19:31 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
True. But they are all essentially trying to justify murder.

Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

Murder means UNLAWFUL killing. So maybe you mean that abortion should be classified as murder not that it is.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:27:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 3:19:31 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:12:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
The cerebral cortex starts working, giving the fetus higher brain functions, making it is person.

So, do you think severely retarded people or people who are in comas are not people?

Those people still have a functioning cerebral cortex.

Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

I don't give a damn if it is alive or not at conception, I only care if it is a person. It does not gain personhood until the 3rd trimester. Murder is killing a person.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:33:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 3:42:57 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:19:31 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
True. But they are all essentially trying to justify murder.

Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

Murder means UNLAWFUL killing. So maybe you mean that abortion should be classified as murder not that it is.

The argument that abortion should be declared murder begins with the allegation that abortion IS murder.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:38:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 4:33:35 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

Murder means UNLAWFUL killing. So maybe you mean that abortion should be classified as murder not that it is.

The argument that abortion should be declared murder begins with the allegation that abortion IS murder.

It's just about what words mean. It can't be unlawful when it's legal. But I suppose you're being poetic/emotive which is fair enough. Carry on.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:42:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 4:38:12 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 1/31/2015 4:33:35 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

Murder means UNLAWFUL killing. So maybe you mean that abortion should be classified as murder not that it is.

The argument that abortion should be declared murder begins with the allegation that abortion IS murder.

It's just about what words mean. It can't be unlawful when it's legal. But I suppose you're being poetic/emotive which is fair enough. Carry on.

No. It's about whether the laws which allow for abortions to continue are Constitutional or not.

A legalized murder is still a murder because any law which 'legalizes' the violation of a person's rights is automatically unconstitutional.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:11:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 4:27:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:19:31 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:12:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
The cerebral cortex starts working, giving the fetus higher brain functions, making it is person.

So, do you think severely retarded people or people who are in comas are not people?

Those people still have a functioning cerebral cortex.

Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

I don't give a damn if it is alive or not at conception, I only care if it is a person. It does not gain personhood until the 3rd trimester. Murder is killing a person.

That is simply your incorrect opinion. There's nothing magical about a cerebral cortex that defines personhood. The fact is that all abortion terminates human life. If you are ok with that, step up and admit it. One thing all abortion supporters do have in common is that they try to weasel their way out of accepting responsibility for advocating murder. It's really disingenuous and requires a bunch of mental gymnastics.
gingerbread-man
Posts: 301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:26:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 4:27:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:19:31 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:12:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
The cerebral cortex starts working, giving the fetus higher brain functions, making it is person.

So, do you think severely retarded people or people who are in comas are not people?

Those people still have a functioning cerebral cortex.

Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

I don't give a damn if it is alive or not at conception, I only care if it is a person. It does not gain personhood until the 3rd trimester. Murder is killing a person.

Do you care if it is not a person, and the only reason why the abortion is happening is because the featus is female?
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:58:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 5:26:10 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
At 1/31/2015 4:27:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:19:31 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:12:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
The cerebral cortex starts working, giving the fetus higher brain functions, making it is person.

So, do you think severely retarded people or people who are in comas are not people?

Those people still have a functioning cerebral cortex.

Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

I don't give a damn if it is alive or not at conception, I only care if it is a person. It does not gain personhood until the 3rd trimester. Murder is killing a person.

Do you care if it is not a person, and the only reason why the abortion is happening is because the featus is female?

If the fetus hasn't yet reached personhood, I do not give a damn why someone wants an abortion.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 6:00:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 5:11:32 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 4:27:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:19:31 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/31/2015 3:12:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
The cerebral cortex starts working, giving the fetus higher brain functions, making it is person.

So, do you think severely retarded people or people who are in comas are not people?

Those people still have a functioning cerebral cortex.

Abortion=/=murder

Only if you don't understand that life begins at conception.

I don't give a damn if it is alive or not at conception, I only care if it is a person. It does not gain personhood until the 3rd trimester. Murder is killing a person.

That is simply your incorrect opinion. There's nothing magical about a cerebral cortex that defines personhood.

Depending on your definition of personhood, the cerebral cortex has A LOT to do with defining personhood.

The fact is that all abortion terminates human life. If you are ok with that, step up and admit it.

So what if it is a human? Just because it is a human does not mean it is a person/human BEING.

One thing all abortion supporters do have in common is that they try to weasel their way out of accepting responsibility for advocating murder. It's really disingenuous and requires a bunch of mental gymnastics.

Again, abortion=/=murder.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 7:39:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 6:00:20 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Depending on your definition of personhood, the cerebral cortex has A LOT to do with defining personhood.


The only definition that legally matters is the legal definition and it says nothing about it. In fact, our laws and courts rulings already say that sentience and sapience (a functioning cerebral cortex) is not a requirement for personhood. Children born with no cerebral cortex at all (anencephalia) have just as much of a right to the protections of our laws as anyone else does.

The fact is that all abortion terminates human life. If you are ok with that, step up and admit it.

So what if it is a human? Just because it is a human does not mean it is a person/human BEING.


Natural Person
a human being as distinguished from a person (as a corporation) created by operation of law compare - See more at: http://dictionary.findlaw.com...

One thing all abortion supporters do have in common is that they try to weasel their way out of accepting responsibility for advocating murder. It's really disingenuous and requires a bunch of mental gymnastics.

Again, abortion=/=murder.

Yes it does.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
christysmh
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:52:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
well just think of it this way. if your mother decided to abort you because you were the "wrong sex", would you be ok with it? A whole life cut off short because they were the "wrong sex". No matter how you look at abortion, its really just playing god, choosing who lives and who doesnt. if a women doesnt want a baby then, by all means, its the womens choice to not get pregnant then, but once you are pregnant, youve got a little living human inside of you, entrusting you as a mother to keep it safe so it can grow up big like you someday. If you dont want the baby for whatever reason, adopt them out, then someone else who maybe cant even have children will appreciate them as the beautiful human being they are...
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:33:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The important concept here is a fertilized egg cell is not a human being. You may believe it is, but that is a religious belief, not a fact.