Jump to topic:

Your most important political issue

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 12:05:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
For me; Of all the political issues, the one I criticize most vehemently and am most concerned with is the educational system. It is from the conditions of our minds that the state of all other political affairs find their root.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 12:44:51 AM
At 7/3/2010 12:05:05 AM, FREEDO wrote:
For me; Of all the political issues, the one I criticize most vehemently and am most concerned with is the educational system. It is from the conditions of our minds that the state of all other political affairs find their root.

I don't know if it's necessarily political, but the issue I most firmly recognize is the proper usage of the semicolon. Please educate yourself: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com...
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 12:53:05 AM
At 7/3/2010 12:44:51 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

I don't know if it's necessarily political, but the issue I most firmly recognize is the proper usage of the semicolon. Please educate yourself: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com...

ROFL
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 1:00:11 AM
The Illuminati. The existence of a control system. The monetary system.

Education should have nothing to do with the government to begin with.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 1:05:27 AM
At 7/3/2010 1:00:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Illuminati. The existence of a control system. The monetary system.

Education should have nothing to do with the government to begin with.

The government shouldn't have anything to do with anything.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 9:07:49 AM
At 7/3/2010 12:44:51 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

Awesome!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 9:37:31 AM
No real key issue, but drug legalisation would be up there. Then secularization and abortion.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 10:49:27 AM
I am going to go with economy because that controls everything else in times of bad economy people worry less about social issues in times of good economy they do it is like a little button you can press to ignite change
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Christian1993
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 11:26:51 AM
Well, I think Federal Reserve policy is extremely important. Poor monetary policy damages the economy, makes wars more practical in the short run, causes recessions and depressions, and makes impractical spending seem more practical because of a basically limitless supply of money. Monetary policy is really the universal issue.
minervx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 11:28:51 AM
Keeping a strong national defense, stopping Iran and North Korea from developing their nuclear programs, defeating Al Qaeda, as well as other terrorist organizations, and concluding the Iraq and Afghanistan wars with victory and honor.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 12:15:08 PM
At 7/3/2010 11:28:51 AM, minervx wrote:
Keeping a strong national defense, stopping Iran and North Korea from developing their nuclear programs, defeating Al Qaeda, as well as other terrorist organizations, and concluding the Iraq and Afghanistan wars with victory and honor.

But these things can't be done if we don't have the money to pay for our wars and equipment and troops so economy would supersede that of National Defense
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 2:32:07 PM
My most important political issue is lack of true accountability. Of the people, by the people, for the people is a mere cute catch phrase. Checks and balances are not really checks and balances. Where the rubber meets the road, there is no real accountability.

To paraphrase Wanda Sykes, No accountability? What you mean no accountability? I want receipts d_ _ n it!
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 2:39:55 PM
The war on drugs is perhaps the most significant human rights crisis of our era.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 2:43:45 PM
At 7/3/2010 2:39:55 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Texas.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 3:20:39 PM
I'm a little surprised about multiple mentions of illegal drugs as the "biggest issue." Unfortunately, it is disproportionately more important to people like us who are thinkers than it is to the general voting public who don't get past step 1: drugs=bad. Face-palm.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 3:29:48 PM
At 7/3/2010 3:20:39 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I'm a little surprised about multiple mentions of illegal drugs as the "biggest issue." Unfortunately, it is disproportionately more important to people like us who are thinkers than it is to the general voting public who don't get past step 1: drugs=bad. Face-palm.

That is interesting. Were all of you serious?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 3:36:03 PM
The war on drugs is perhaps the most significant human rights crisis of our era.

Lol, I'm gonna hafta side with the homos. At least drugs are illegal for everyone (without prescription) :p
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 3:38:44 PM
At 7/3/2010 3:20:39 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I'm a little surprised about multiple mentions of illegal drugs as the "biggest issue."

That's because it has so much to do with other areas of public policy. For instance, we need more police and other law enforcement to promote this futile "war." That costs a lot of tax payer money. It's also expensive for those who get caught, not to mention being put into "the system" ruins a lot of lives. The system in general is expensive, intrusive, etc. and our prison system is absurd. I'm in a group called SSDP - Students for Sensible Drug Policy and we talk about all of the ways in which bad drug legislation ruins so many areas of society. Let's not forget that Mexican drug cartels are thriving thanks to the war on drugs, making conditions in Mexico worse which infiltrates U.S. society -- as well as encourages desperate Mexicans to sneak over the border, etc.
President of DDO
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 3:40:22 PM
At 7/3/2010 3:36:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Lol, I'm gonna hafta side with the homos. At least drugs are illegal for everyone (without prescription) :p

But do homosexuals get put in jail(at least in modernized countries) for being homosexuals? People get put in jail for drug possession.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 3:40:32 PM
At 7/3/2010 10:58:16 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Principles. Show me the principles a man advocates, and I'll show you the way every other issue turns out.

How is that a political issue?
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 3:41:29 PM
At 7/3/2010 3:36:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Yeah, seriously.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 3:43:41 PM
I'm going to have to go ahead and say that gay marriage and other laws against gay adoption are the most important political issues that hit close to home.

When I accused Ragnar in the past of not caring about unfair social issues (and focusing more on economic liberties) he said that it's because the economic injustices are the most relevant to his life. Not so for me. Well, rather I don't mind forking over some money to the government for things which I believe are better collectively paid for such as police and roads.

On the other hand, gay marriage being illegal is something that effects my life personally and in a more negative way. At least I get something out of paying taxes (social services). With gay marriage not being legal, I am missing out on a crap ton of benefits and other insurance that I would have had if I had chosen to be in a relationship with a man (which seems so absurd and absolutely unfair and retarded - because it means the government gets to dictate what is "proper" -- -- this goes against everything our government is supposed to stand for in terms of secular politics).

The discrimination is just so blatantly unjust and bigoted that it's more frustrating to me than paying taxes for, say, our military and education system. In a perfect or better world there would be huge adjustments made regarding the size and scope of our government; however, the gay issues are just so embarrassing as a society I think.
President of DDO