Jump to topic:

Marriage License vs. Business License

KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 11:05:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Can anyone explain to me why it is apparently unconstitutional for one state to not recognize another state's marriage license (DOMA), but it is constitutional to shut down a business that does not comport to requirements in one state that did meet requirements in the state I had moved from?

For example, I read that an exterminator in Tennesse has to have four years experience and take two exams, while in Kentucky, I need only spend $25 and pass one test. So, if I had a pre-existing business in Kentucky for two years, and moved to Tennessee, I would be barred from operating my business, but, my marriage of two days must be upheld.
Hell, I couldn't even serve a Tennessean customer from my place of business in Kentucky.

http://www.forbes.com...

Why is there a difference in these two licenses?
They seem of equal "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" merits, and, you know, driver's licenses cross states lines, too.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 11:08:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/31/2015 11:05:48 AM, KhaosMage wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why it is apparently unconstitutional for one state to not recognize another state's marriage license (DOMA), but it is constitutional to shut down a business that does not comport to requirements in one state that did meet requirements in the state I had moved from?

Probably because marriage licenses are issued publicly (a justice of the peace or civil official, etc) while the employment status and standards of operation are generally private.

For example, I read that an exterminator in Tennesse has to have four years experience and take two exams, while in Kentucky, I need only spend $25 and pass one test. So, if I had a pre-existing business in Kentucky for two years, and moved to Tennessee, I would be barred from operating my business, but, my marriage of two days must be upheld.
Hell, I couldn't even serve a Tennessean customer from my place of business in Kentucky.

http://www.forbes.com...

Why is there a difference in these two licenses?
They seem of equal "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" merits, and, you know, driver's licenses cross states lines, too.