Jump to topic:

The word "homosexual"

ELDRITCH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 8:23:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Has anyone else noticed that very few people that aren't homophobes use the word homosexual in a nonacademic context? The word itself isn't inherently bigoted, but it's favored among bigots, kind of like fox news or calling black people "colored".
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 8:32:50 AM
At 2/4/2015 8:23:46 AM, ELDRITCH wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that very few people that aren't homophobes use the word homosexual in a nonacademic context? The word itself isn't inherently bigoted, but it's favored among bigots, kind of like fox news or calling black people "colored".

And what is the proper term, then?
ELDRITCH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 8:37:31 AM
At 2/4/2015 8:32:50 AM, KhaosMage wrote:

There's no "proper" term. I'm not the language police. I'm just pointing out that most people with no form of prejudice just call them gay or LGBT in casual conversation.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 8:42:16 AM
At 2/4/2015 8:37:31 AM, ELDRITCH wrote:
At 2/4/2015 8:32:50 AM, KhaosMage wrote:

There's no "proper" term. I'm not the language police. I'm just pointing out that most people with no form of prejudice just call them gay or LGBT in casual conversation.

Well, I suppose it depends on the specific context, since gay usually refers to men, in casual settings, and LGBT is just cumbersome and off-point.
However, I find it odd that you seem to know what most people do, on both sides.

Also, homosexual is a much "smarter" and longer term, and thus, sounds condescending. As such, I would not be surprised bigots would use it.