Should abortion be legal?

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 4:27:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/6/2015 4:13:52 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I say yes because it is wrong to force women to give birth.

I say no because it is wrong to kill babies.

That was easy.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 4:33:31 PM
At 2/6/2015 4:27:07 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

That was easy.
So you are saying that women should be forced to give birth?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 4:34:42 PM
At 2/6/2015 4:33:31 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

That was easy.

So you are saying that babies should be killed?
(I can't wait until Ectogenesis is developed.)
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 5:15:35 PM

The woman is responsible for that action in the first place, so why should her rights outweight the baby's right to live? Are you saying the right to live is not a right?
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 5:23:54 PM
At 2/6/2015 4:34:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

That was easy.

Yes or no: Do you think that women shoould be forced to give birth?
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 5:26:48 PM
At 2/6/2015 4:34:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

That was easy.

The fetus is not a baby. I have the right to choose what to do with my body. If I dont want to give birth, I dont have to.
AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 5:31:57 PM
Is everyone saying that an undeveloped collection of cells, blood, tissue and muscle constitute a human? Are the people against abortion saying that life begins at conception? If thats the case sperm has a right to live and you should preserve it until it dies. Same with the mold that you wipe away or fungus that you kill when it grows in your home.

These are all questions to consider :)
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 7:04:41 PM

Abortions are a severe form of forced birth. The child is forcibly removed / delivered from the womb in an abortion. The only difference is that he or she (the child) is intentionally killed in the process.

Under our Constitution, if the child survives the attempt, they qualify as a "born" American Citizen.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 7:30:01 PM
At 2/6/2015 7:04:41 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Abortions are a severe form of forced birth. The child is forcibly removed / delivered from the womb in an abortion. The only difference is that he or she (the child) is intentionally killed in the process.

Under our Constitution, if the child survives the attempt, they qualify as a "born" American Citizen.
I dont agree woth abortion, but I make exceptions for medical problems or iif thew mother is raped.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 7:34:00 PM
At 2/6/2015 7:30:01 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I dont agree woth abortion, but I make exceptions for medical problems or iif thew mother is raped.

A lot of pro life people agree with you there. They don't support abortion accept for certain cases like rape or the mother's life being in danger.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 7:34:58 PM
At 2/6/2015 5:31:57 PM, AFism wrote:
Is everyone saying that an undeveloped collection of cells, blood, tissue and muscle constitute a human? Are the people against abortion saying that life begins at conception? If thats the case sperm has a right to live and you should preserve it until it dies. Same with the mold that you wipe away or fungus that you kill when it grows in your home.

These are all questions to consider :)
I am having doubts about abortion. What if I am wrong?
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 7:46:26 PM
At 2/6/2015 7:34:00 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/6/2015 7:30:01 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

A lot of pro life people agree with you there. They don't support abortion except for certain cases like rape or the mother's life being in danger.

This^^.

Fixed.

And, FWIW, that's why I don't call myself "pro-life." "Anti-abortion" is much more fitting. Because, even as I can accept that some abortions might be justifies (to save the mother for example) I am opposed to voluntary "abortion on demand."

"Anti - elective - abortion" if you will.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 9:42:53 PM
At 2/6/2015 5:15:35 PM, Varrack wrote:

The woman is responsible for that action in the first place, so why should her rights outweight the baby's right to live?

1. Rights do not pertain when they are dependent on stripping others of their rights. Or are you one of the people arguing that healthcare is a right?

2. The action the woman took is having sex. Sex is not a punishable act.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 10:55:04 AM
At 2/6/2015 9:42:53 PM, Double_R wrote:

The woman is responsible for that action in the first place, so why should her rights outweight the baby's right to live?

1. Rights do not pertain when they are dependent on stripping others of their rights. Or are you one of the people arguing that healthcare is a right?

The same logic can be applied to the mother stripping the baby of his/her right to live. And no, I'm not arguing that healthcare is a right.

No, but she is responsible for having that act. She knows that because she is participating in that act she is putting herself at risk of becoming pregnant.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 12:50:07 PM
At 2/7/2015 10:55:04 AM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/6/2015 9:42:53 PM, Double_R wrote:

The same logic can be applied to the mother stripping the baby of his/her right to live.

No, it can't.

You are starting off with the presupposition that the unborn fetus has a right to life. That is the position you are supposed to be justifying.

You cannot grant a right to someone who is incapable of fulfilling that right on their own. That is why I made the comment about healthcare. People who argue that healthcare is a right are basically saying that the sick have a right to the labor and recourses of others. I think we both recognize how silly that is, yet the exact same principle applies to a fetus and its mother.

No, but she is responsible for having that act. She knows that because she is participating in that act she is putting herself at risk of becoming pregnant.

So what? I asked if sex were a punishable offense for a reason. Give me one example of a legal consequence imposed solely on the results of an action that is not restricted, regulated, or prohibited in any way.

Until you can come up with a restriction or regulation to impose on the act of sex itself, you cannot use the act to justify imposing legal consequences.