Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

The Right has not drifted extreme

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 12:21:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I see and hear a lot of commentary about the Conservative/Right Wing in the US, and how they've gone so far to the right they are intolerable extremists who will destroy Constitutional rights and all that. But aren't by virtue of them being conservative, they have pretty much stayed in place?

If a conservative is trying to keep things the way they were, that's not really drifting. On the other hand, if you're a progressive today, abortion and gay marriage and a progressive income tax and open borders were NOT legal or tolerated 200y ago. If you're progressive, you are by definition TRYING to change things. If you are conservative, you are TRYING to hold ground on to tradition/established values. By the basic nature of things the claim some make that the Right has "gone" so far to the right is absurd. The progressive movement has moved so far to the left that what was the center of our national policies is now very far to the right of them.

This is not an attack on the policies of either side, though I do take sides. This is only me calling out the absurd argument that conservatives are on the move and progressives are staying put, near some arbitrary "center".
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.