Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Religious protection racket

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 9:56:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Do you live in the United States? If you do, go to the pantry and select a number of packaged food items at random. Don't worry, I'll wait…

…Got them? Okay, good. Now, please examine the packaging carefully and look for a small (K) or (U) or one of the symbols on this list:

http://www.kosherquest.org...

You'll have to look hard as they are usually tucked away in corner somewhere but you'll find one on most products.

Do you know what this symbol means? No? Well, it means "Kosher Tax Paid".

What has happened is that a Jewish company such as OK Kosher or a Jewish organisation such as the Orthodox Union has sent a representative to the manufacturer of the product to threaten them with accusations of anti-Semitism and a Jewish boycott unless they pay them for their kosher certification service.

This sting nets the kosher certification industry billions of dollars every year and the money they squeeze out of the food and beverage manufacturers is distributed between the rabbis, the certification companies and controversial organisations such as the extreme right-wing Institute for Public Affairs, which rejects the United Nations and international law; is opposed to stem-cell research and same-sex marriages and fights against the closure of tax loopholes for the rich.

http://www.ou.org...

You may be Jewish yourself, or perhaps you are happy to donate your money to rabbis and Jewish businessmen, in which case the Kosher Tax will not be a problem for you.

However, becuase almost all manufacturers have bowed to the pressure from the kosher certification racketeers and there are almost no products that do not carry a kosher symbol, if you don't want to pay the Kosher Tax you will find it very hard to find products that are not subject to it.

http://www.ok.org...)
http://www.oukosher.org...

So, because the cost of kosher certification is passed on to you, the customer, you are the indirect victim of a religious protection racket.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:00:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This sounds too ridiculous to be true, although I am not able to research it at this time as I am at work.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:26:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Eh...

I looked through cereal boxes, packaged cookies, and more. I found eco-friendly stamps, a few union stamps, but no Jewish conspiracy stamps...

...sorry.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:54:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I walked into my pantry and immediately saw it on everything I looked at.

But how do I know it mean what you say?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 4:10:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:54:27 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I walked into my pantry and immediately saw it on everything I looked at.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 4:15:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Wait, what does putting symbols on food have to do with paying a Kosher tax? That doesn't even make sense. Companies could pay the tax without using the symbol, and they could use the symbol without paying the tax.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 4:49:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
How is this a "tax" or forced?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 5:34:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 4:49:18 PM, mongoose wrote:
How is this a "tax" or forced?

I don't think it is. If I understand it correctly, it's most likely just a voluntary label the companies allow on/pay to have it on, or whatever.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 6:11:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I tend to eat alot of kosher foods so I don't mind the money going to Rabbis and Jewish organizations. If it's being used to fund Israel directly, however, that could be a problem. I suppose it's better than funding Hamas though.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 6:20:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
As much as I wanted this to be true, I didn't find it on anything. However, I'm in Australia...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 6:29:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 6:20:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
As much as I wanted this to be true, I didn't find it on anything. However, I'm in Australia...

What didn't you find? The kosher label? It's surprisingly quite common if you look. At least, here it is.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 1:41:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It is true.

And the Orthodox Union does send some of the money to Israeli charities which support illegal West Bank settlers and the Apartheid Wall.

How would Jewish people feel if it was a Halal Tax instead and the money was sent to pro-Palestinian charities?

It is not anti-Semitic to expose a hidden religious tax.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 1:47:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 1:41:35 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
[video]

Oh, it's a (U) and not a (K) in the United States? I see it now.

MUST BURN CHEERIOS!!!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 2:24:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Brian, a tax is what that government you love so much does. Boycotts are well within anyone's rights, and threatening them a tax does not make. They are being paid to certify that the product is suitable for certain category of customer preferences. Unless you can show us that they are actually being fraudulent, certifying products that do not in fact meet the claimed standard, they've earned every penny.

As for sponsoring the Israeli end of the conflict with Palestine, makes no difference to me. It's not like there's a good end of that conflict, so it doesn't make a difference if they happen to spend their money on picking between the bads :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 2:28:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
And people are quite free to give up the business of a cusomer category if they don't want to get the certification that category responds to.

I'm sure the computer you're typing on is certified by all sorts of agencies. Some of those agencies spend money on politics. They probably spend on a mix of policies such that it would offend both of us. There's nothing unique here. You can't get anywhere by consistently buying only from people who agree with you.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 8:39:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 2:24:12 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

As for sponsoring the Israeli end of the conflict with Palestine, makes no difference to me. It's not like there's a good end of that conflict, so it doesn't make a difference if they happen to spend their money on picking between the bads :P.

Yea, true. However, Israel seems like the lesser evil so If I must choose a side then it's Israel.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 9:02:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:31:48 PM, Volkov wrote:
Is it just me, or has Brian become steadily more anti-Semetic over the past while?

There was nothing anti-semitic in his first post.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 9:06:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 9:02:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:31:48 PM, Volkov wrote:
Is it just me, or has Brian become steadily more anti-Semetic over the past while?

There was nothing anti-semitic in his first post.

That reminds me of those people who scream "Anti-Semite!" whenever they see or hear anything even remotely Anti-Israel and/or Pro-Palestine.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 9:13:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
this is absolutely brilliant. just checked my fridge for a few tags there and found nothing. haven't come across many jews over here though.
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 9:16:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 9:13:24 AM, badger wrote:
this is absolutely brilliant. just checked my fridge for a few tags there and found nothing. haven't come across many jews over here though.

It's strange. We don't have many Jews here yet there seems to be kosher products. Hmm... :/ About the only thing I haven't come across is kosher meat.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 2:51:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 9:13:24 AM, badger wrote:
this is absolutely brilliant. just checked my fridge for a few tags there and found nothing. haven't come across many jews over here though.

Badger, this is an American scam...it would is outlawed here under European law.

I know you know that, I'm just saying...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...