Jump to topic:

DDO Economic Summit

Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:18:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I saw on another thread that Europe is holding an Economic Summit in a little while to try and solve the world's financial problems. Then I was struck by an idea why don't we have an Economic Summit here on DDO we couldn't do any worse than the idiots trying to figure it out. We would have the brightest economic minds on here try and solve it. What do you guys think and anyone want to help me organize it
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:20:45 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:18:09 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
I saw on another thread that Europe is holding an Economic Summit

Where was this again? I only saw the European Exopolitics summit.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:21:31 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:20:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/9/2010 7:18:09 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
I saw on another thread that Europe is holding an Economic Summit

Where was this again? I only saw the European Exopolitics summit.

Whatever it was it isn't going to do anyone a whole lot of good so we might as well try and solve the problems ourselves
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:22:34 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:21:31 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
Whatever it was it isn't going to do anyone a whole lot of good so we might as well try and solve the problems ourselves

Just so you know, exopolitics is about the relationship of governments with alien species.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:23:48 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:22:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/9/2010 7:21:31 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

Just so you know, exopolitics is about the relationship of governments with alien species.

Regardless it still got me thinking about an economic summit for DDO and I think that firmly cements my point about the fact that no one in government is smart enough to fix the problem of the economy

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:24:45 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:23:48 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
Regardless it still got me thinking about an economic summit for DDO and I think that firmly cements my point about the fact that no one in government is smart enough to fix the problem of the economy

Ron Paul.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:33:25 PM
Capitalism allows certain individuals to have a ridiculous amount of money. So much money that their decisions effect the entire economy.

Simplified: More money equals more power.
More power equals more say.
In a Democratic system, shouldn't everyone have the same say?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:35:45 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:33:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Capitalism allows certain individuals to have a ridiculous amount of money. So much money that their decisions effect the entire economy.

There is no "say" in a free market. Everything is voluntary.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:37:13 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:35:45 PM, Nags wrote:

So someone cannot voluntarily get a say?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:39:24 PM

You know what is a truly Democratic system? Mob lynches. Oh, yeah.

As far as the "ridiculous amount of money," how do you think that money got there? They made that money through business deals. Or a family member did, but that's beside the point. The point is, they end up with lots of money because they do something that people are willing to pay that much money to have them do.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:39:49 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:38:25 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/9/2010 7:37:13 PM, Volkov wrote:

A say in what?

A say in the free market. If they voluntarily gain influence in the markets, markets which are free, have they not voluntarily gotten a say?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:40:14 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:37:13 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/9/2010 7:35:45 PM, Nags wrote:

You get however much of a say in what YOU do as you want.

You get however much a say in what somebody else does as THEY want.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:42:33 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:39:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
A say in the free market. If they voluntarily gain influence in the markets, markets which are free, have they not voluntarily gotten a say?

Uhh, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Everyone influences the market by engaging in the market. You influence the market by buying a candy bar at your local store. Bill Gates has more influence than you, sure, but what are you trying to drive at? Bill Gates can't make you spend your money in ways in which you don't want to, but the government can.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:43:55 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:39:24 PM, mongeese wrote:

If a majority of people think someone should be lynched, why not. There is certainly a few people out there who I think should be.

As far as the "ridiculous amount of money," how do you think that money got there? They made that money through business deals. Or a family member did, but that's beside the point. The point is, they end up with lots of money because they do something that people are willing to pay that much money to have them do.

Do you think because someone has more money then you, they should have more say in how the country is run?

Muh threads
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:45:10 PM
People please refocus now I am thinking each country should get three representatives a far left a far right and a moderate

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:45:22 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:42:33 PM, Nags wrote:

Uhh, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Everyone influences the market by engaging in the market. You influence the market by buying a candy bar at your local store. Bill Gates has more influence than you, sure, but what are you trying to drive at? Bill Gates can't make you spend your money in ways in which you don't want to, but the government can.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:45:51 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:43:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
If a majority of people think someone should be lynched, why not. There is certainly a few people out there who I think should be.

If my friend and I decide to rape you, you should be raped?

Do you think because someone has more money then you, they should have more say in how the country is run?

See, that's where you're misguided. In a free market, no one has a say in a countries' economic policy.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:46:53 PM
Bill Gates can't make you spend your money in ways in which you don't want to, but the government can.

Actually, he can. By me buying his product, he can increase his influence over the markets, thereby having greater control over it, which can lead to him monopolizing the market ('cause Bill gates would never do that), and other such sordid things.

Not that there aren't ways around it, of course. But that takes collective effort, and me being the little individual I am, can't influence events as much as Bill Gates, a great big individual, can. In the end, I'm screwed.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:46:57 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:45:22 PM, mongoose wrote:

10/10 love that video.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:47:26 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:45:10 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
People please refocus now I am thinking each country should get three representatives a far left a far right and a moderate

Yeah, 'cause that is always the recipe for success.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:48:02 PM

I don't think Bill Gates is a good example. You're paying for his products right now.

Muh threads
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:48:08 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:47:26 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/9/2010 7:45:10 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

Yeah, 'cause that is always the recipe for success.

Do you have a better idea?

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:48:10 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:43:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/9/2010 7:39:24 PM, mongeese wrote:

Vote to lynch tvellalott

Not in how the country is run, no. The country shouldn't have that much influence. They should have more say in how their money is used, though.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:49:03 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:46:53 PM, Volkov wrote:
Actually, he can. By me buying his product

Don't buy his product then.

he can increase his influence over the markets, thereby having greater control over it, which can lead to him monopolizing the market ('cause Bill gates would never do that), and other such sordid things.

Monopolies can't exist in a free market. And what other "sordid things" do you speak of.

Not that there aren't ways around it, of course. But that takes collective effort, and me being the little individual I am, can't influence events as much as Bill Gates, a great big individual, can. In the end, I'm screwed.

Nothing to refute here - just babble.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:49:50 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:48:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I don't think Bill Gates is a good example. You're paying for his products right now.

Voluntarily. I could have bought Steve Jobs' Apple instead if I wanted.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:50:32 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:49:50 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/9/2010 7:48:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Voluntarily. I could have bought Steve Jobs' Apple instead if I wanted.

or even better you could've gotten Linux for free and it actually works

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:52:35 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:46:53 PM, Volkov wrote:
Bill Gates can't make you spend your money in ways in which you don't want to, but the government can.

Actually, he can. By me buying his product, he can increase his influence over the markets, thereby having greater control over it, which can lead to him monopolizing the market ('cause Bill gates would never do that), and other such sordid things.

You weren't forced to buy his product. You could have gone without it. He sort of played a key role in improving it. The only thing he would be able to monopolize would be something he invented, and why wouldn't he be able to? It's not like that would hurt anybody.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:54:04 PM
Though really, I say

Remove minimum wage.
Increase free trade (remove ALL tariffs and quotas)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:55:16 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:49:03 PM, Nags wrote:
Nothing to refute here - just babble.

I have to agree, though possibly not in the context you mean...

The simple fact is that if Bill Gates has more influence than I do, he can influence the ways I spend my money. If he owns the largest share of the market, and I don't buy his product, then I have no choice but to rely on smaller, less reliable and probably less reputable sources for the product. If I want a better product than what the anti-Gates can provide, I have no other route but Bill - it leaves me with a false choice, being that I can either suck it up and join, or suffer. Like God and Heaven/Hell.

How is that not influencing my choices on how to spend my money?