Total Posts:133|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do you support healthcare rights?

Josh_debate
Posts: 170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:56:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healtrhy.

I don't support healthcare rights. You have the right to life, but not a healthy life. Whether or not, you are healthy is dependent on you and the choices you make. It is your responsibility to make sure you have healthcare, no one elses.
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 7:56:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healtrhy.

This is a standard positive vs negative rights argument.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:59:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I get the feeling of deja vu...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Josh_debate
Posts: 170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 9:52:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

I didn't say it was a right. I said it was a function of government under "general welfare "(a clause in the constitution).
Anarcho-Socialist
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 8:04:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healthy.

I think that a nation-state can be judged correctly by how well it treats its worst off citizens. Only their citizens though, not illegals.
Anarcho-Socialism
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need." - Louis Blanc
"Voluntary self-segregation now, voluntary self-segregation tomorrow, voluntary self-segregation forever!" - Anonymous
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 6:00:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2015 9:52:19 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

I didn't say it was a right. I said it was a function of government under "general welfare "(a clause in the constitution).

The general welfare clause (article one, section 8) authorizes congress ability to tax not transfer ability.

General welfare in the preamble text is "promote the general welfare" not provide.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 6:05:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/27/2015 8:04:23 AM, Anarcho-Socialist wrote:
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healthy.

I think that a nation-state can be judged correctly by how well it treats its worst off citizens. Only their citizens though, not illegals.

A nation-state should treat every citizen equally, both the worst-off and the best off. A person's economic status should not be a governmental matter.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 6:11:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2015 8:56:53 AM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healtrhy.

I don't support healthcare rights. You have the right to life, but not a healthy life. Whether or not, you are healthy is dependent on you and the choices you make. It is your responsibility to make sure you have healthcare, no one elses.

And what about times when choice is not a factor, like accidents and cancer?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 7:10:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/27/2015 6:11:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/26/2015 8:56:53 AM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healtrhy.

I don't support healthcare rights. You have the right to life, but not a healthy life. Whether or not, you are healthy is dependent on you and the choices you make. It is your responsibility to make sure you have healthcare, no one elses.

And what about times when choice is not a factor, like accidents and cancer?

Everyday has "accidents" unless you live in a coma in a closed system. Nothing is going to stop that.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 8:05:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/27/2015 7:10:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/27/2015 6:11:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/26/2015 8:56:53 AM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healtrhy.

I don't support healthcare rights. You have the right to life, but not a healthy life. Whether or not, you are healthy is dependent on you and the choices you make. It is your responsibility to make sure you have healthcare, no one elses.

And what about times when choice is not a factor, like accidents and cancer?

Everyday has "accidents" unless you live in a coma in a closed system. Nothing is going to stop that.

Way to not address the contention. By your logic the government has no responsibility to fund fire fighters because fires happen.

Josh asserts that people choose their health, this is false as there are numerous environmental and socio-economic factors that play into ones health and are beyond control.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 12:08:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.

Healthcare is a right becdause people have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 12:16:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.

Strawman fallacy. I never once said that I oppose paying for healthcare. All I said was trhe FACT that healthcare is a right.
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 12:17:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 12:08:51 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.

Healthcare is a right becdause people have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

How is a person prevented from receiving healthcare? A person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 12:48:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 12:17:12 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:08:51 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.

Healthcare is a right becdause people have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

How is a person prevented from receiving healthcare? A person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties.

Yes or no:Do you support healthcare rights?
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 1:05:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 12:48:03 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:17:12 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:08:51 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.

Healthcare is a right becdause people have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

How is a person prevented from receiving healthcare? A person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties.

Yes or no:Do you support healthcare rights?

A person has the right to voluntarily exchange any product or service without interference.

If that means, a person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties, then yes.

If that means, doctors being forced to provides services without compensation, or that a third party is forced to pay for service, then NO.

Most people that refer to healthcare as a right, mean that government should provide the health services or that others should pay. What is your definition of health care rights?
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 1:13:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 1:05:05 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:48:03 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:17:12 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:08:51 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.

Healthcare is a right becdause people have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

How is a person prevented from receiving healthcare? A person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties.

Yes or no:Do you support healthcare rights?

A person has the right to voluntarily exchange any product or service without interference.

If that means, a person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties, then yes.

If that means, doctors being forced to provides services without compensation, or that a third party is forced to pay for service, then NO.

Most people that refer to healthcare as a right, mean that government should provide the health services or that others should pay. What is your definition of health care rights?

SAo you are saying that poor people should be denied healthcare if they cannot afford it?
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 1:35:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healtrhy.

Yes. I definitely believe people have the right to affordable healthcare. I want to live in a community where people have this basic right. I think not providing this right would make our nation a pretty awful place to live.
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 4:54:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 1:13:10 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/2/2015 1:05:05 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:48:03 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:17:12 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:08:51 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.

Healthcare is a right becdause people have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

How is a person prevented from receiving healthcare? A person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties.

Yes or no:Do you support healthcare rights?

A person has the right to voluntarily exchange any product or service without interference.

If that means, a person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties, then yes.

If that means, doctors being forced to provides services without compensation, or that a third party is forced to pay for service, then NO.

Most people that refer to healthcare as a right, mean that government should provide the health services or that others should pay. What is your definition of health care rights?

SAo you are saying that poor people should be denied healthcare if they cannot afford it?

No, a person has a right to the best healthcare that they can receive in a voluntary exchange. Nobody should be denied healthcare, when both parties agree to the exchange.

Again, what is your definition of health care rights?
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
Josh_debate
Posts: 170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 12:55:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/27/2015 6:11:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/26/2015 8:56:53 AM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healtrhy.

I don't support healthcare rights. You have the right to life, but not a healthy life. Whether or not, you are healthy is dependent on you and the choices you make. It is your responsibility to make sure you have healthcare, no one elses.

And what about times when choice is not a factor, like accidents and cancer?

Then its still your responsibility to have healthcare, its your choices that depend on if you have healthcare or not.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 12:56:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 4:54:57 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 1:13:10 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/2/2015 1:05:05 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:48:03 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:17:12 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:08:51 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/1/2015 9:46:06 PM, Chang29 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

Try that at a clinic, find a doctor that will work for free. Good luck.

Healthcare is a right becdause people have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

How is a person prevented from receiving healthcare? A person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties.

Yes or no:Do you support healthcare rights?

A person has the right to voluntarily exchange any product or service without interference.

If that means, a person and a doctor can negotiate terms of service that benefit both parties, then yes.

If that means, doctors being forced to provides services without compensation, or that a third party is forced to pay for service, then NO.

Most people that refer to healthcare as a right, mean that government should provide the health services or that others should pay. What is your definition of health care rights?

SAo you are saying that poor people should be denied healthcare if they cannot afford it?

No, a person has a right to the best healthcare that they can receive in a voluntary exchange. Nobody should be denied healthcare, when both parties agree to the exchange.

Again, what is your definition of health care rights?
I disagree. People have the right to be healthy. Withi=out healthcare, I will die. I have the right to liver.
Josh_debate
Posts: 170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 12:58:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

You have the right to try and achieve being healthy.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 1:05:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 12:58:12 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

You have the right to try and achieve being healthy.
Agreed. So you believer that healthcare is a right?
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 1:08:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 1:05:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:58:12 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

You have the right to try and achieve being healthy.
Agreed. So you believer that healthcare is a right?

Please spell check before posting.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 1:09:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 1:35:05 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 2/18/2015 2:52:30 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I do because people have the right to be healtrhy.

Yes. I definitely believe people have the right to affordable healthcare. I want to live in a community where people have this basic right. I think not providing this right would make our nation a pretty awful place to live.

Agreed.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 1:14:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/2/2015 1:08:29 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/2/2015 1:05:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 3/2/2015 12:58:12 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 3/1/2015 5:05:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:12:39 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 2/26/2015 7:25:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I would say it's a "general welfare " function of government under the constitution.

A right can not impose any obligation on to others except for the obligation to leave you alone. Therefore healthcare is not a right

My body, my right. I Hvwe thge right to be healthy.

You have the right to try and achieve being healthy.
Agreed. So you believer that healthcare is a right?

Please spell check before posting.
Yes or no: Do you support healthcare rights?