Jump to topic:

Welfare?

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:10:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does social welfare, (by which I primarily mean when the State grants money/goods/services to those unable to work) inevitably lead to a culture of dependency?

What can be done to mitigate this?

If not social welfare, what ought to be done for those unable to support themselves?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:12:50 AM
Directing free things towards specific groups of people causes too much bureaucracy. Providing a minimum standard of living universally to all citizens is most beneficial to society.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:16:08 AM
At 7/10/2010 12:12:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Directing free things towards specific groups of people causes too much bureaucracy. Providing a minimum standard of living universally to all citizens is most beneficial to society.

What would be the minimum?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:27:39 AM
At 7/10/2010 12:16:08 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Things necessary for survival. People should be struggling to thrive, not to survive.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:31:07 AM
At 7/10/2010 12:27:39 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Things necessary for survival. People should be struggling to thrive, not to survive.

It really isn't hard to provide that which is necessary to survive for yourself.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:36:23 AM
At 7/10/2010 12:31:07 AM, Korashk wrote:

It really isn't hard to provide that which is necessary to survive for yourself.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:37:25 AM
At 7/10/2010 12:36:23 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/10/2010 12:31:07 AM, Korashk wrote:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com...

This.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:38:08 AM
But actually I do think there should be a few more things than basic survival. Just things that anyone in a modern society should expect to have like education and communication.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 12:42:00 AM

You can't just provide it out of thin air. Provision requires both a supply and an agency of provision.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 2:50:26 PM
By implementing welfare payments that are subsistence level only, means testing, and reducing welfare if employed spouses, partners, etc. exist.

Also, introduce worker training, make job-seeking compulsory and implement voluntary work schemes.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:44:06 PM
At 7/10/2010 12:42:00 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

You can't just provide it out of thin air. Provision requires both a supply and an agency of provision.

lol
signature
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:11:43 PM
At 7/10/2010 12:10:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Does social welfare, (by which I primarily mean when the State grants money/goods/services to those unable to work) inevitably lead to a culture of dependency?

Yes.
The real question is, does it inevitably lead to a culture of complacency?

And that answer is harder to answer.

Get rid of it.
Or
Only allow people to be on it for a short time.

If not social welfare, what ought to be done for those unable to support themselves?

Like?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:37:50 PM

Yes, I definately think so. You end up with people with the mentality that they earned the welfare; who don't need to work and don't.

Tough question. We have a reasonably good system in Australia but it is still heavily flawed. I think more should be done to weed out people who don't WANT to work and make them useful members of society.

Soylent Green?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 9:51:09 PM

What a grim prognostication.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:41:13 AM
At 7/10/2010 9:51:09 PM, comoncents wrote:

What a grim prognostication.

Well it does seem like a pertinent question.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 7:57:40 AM
Nothing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:04:20 AM
We should help the less fortunate ones by giving them opportunities to lead their own lives by working. We need a society that functions as one. There is nothing wrong with helping people who are in need. Those who have enough to pay to help those in need are, in fact, helping themselves, too. When more people get into work and more people can live standard lives, then the economy can rise and we can all have improved qualities of life.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:06:23 AM
At 7/11/2010 7:57:40 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Nothing.
I would definitely like to interview you if you were ever in need of help from people who are able to help you. I would like to see what you would scream for to give food, shelter, and clothes to yourself and your children.

I hope it never happens to you or anyone else, but try to imagine being in the shoes of a less fortunate human being, and maybe you will come with positive comments instead of such nonsense like "nothing."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:14:55 AM
Why in a thousand hells would I have children in such a situation? :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:19:44 AM
At 7/11/2010 9:14:55 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Hobo love is supposed to be one of the most romantic forms of loves in the world
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:19:45 AM
You never know what drops from the sky the next day.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:50:03 AM
At 7/11/2010 9:19:45 AM, Mirza wrote:

Babies come from storks?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:54:24 AM
At 7/11/2010 9:50:03 AM, Puck wrote:
At 7/11/2010 9:19:45 AM, Mirza wrote:

Babies come from storks?

I think he mixed up his Koran and a Xanth novel.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:58:39 AM
This was after mixing up a biology textbook and the Koran of course.
vivalayeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 10:02:41 AM
The government should not have that much control of someone's life. I don't like social welfare. I can see when it is necessary though, for people with disabilities. But Job seeker's allowance, and the dole are idiotic. I have a friend who is working 70 hour's a week at the minute, while some people sit around and get money from the government.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 11:19:26 AM
Actually, our family is very poor right now because other people stole things (for which we ended up being forced to pay, for some strange reason) and wrote a lot of bad checks which wouldn't cash, for which we also ended up having to pay. Now we literally have no money for groceries, we can't pay most of our bills, and we're slowly having to sell furniture/have yard sales. We'll be selling our house soon. Even in such a "needy" situation, I abhor the thought of even being offered a welfare check.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 12:06:31 PM
At 7/11/2010 11:19:26 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Actually, our family is very poor right now because other people stole things (for which we ended up being forced to pay, for some strange reason) and wrote a lot of bad checks which wouldn't cash, for which we also ended up having to pay. Now we literally have no money for groceries, we can't pay most of our bills, and we're slowly having to sell furniture/have yard sales. We'll be selling our house soon. Even in such a "needy" situation, I abhor the thought of even being offered a welfare check.

For real?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 12:13:36 PM
At 7/11/2010 11:19:26 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Welfare = help

Would you also abhor me offering you a job? That is another form of welfare. You are in need of money and I offer you a job. Just because you work for money here does not change the fact that it is welfare, or in other words, social aid. If you were about to die from starvation, would you also abhor free food? Self-destruct is better than welfare, is that what you think?

I must say that it is quite shocking that people hold nonsensical views of welfare. Helping people to stand straight and move on with their lives is nothing negative.