HRCs Amicus Brief to SCOTUS : SSM

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:27:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://peoplesbrief.org...

I just downloaded the pdf file and read the whole thing. I believe it presents the most complete and compelling argument for same sex marriage I have ever encountered. Anyone who asks "Why should same sex marriage be legal? " should read it (or remain willfully ignorant).

For those of us that support same sex marriage, I urge to not only read the brief, but also to sign the petition in support of the brief.

For those opposed to same sex marriage, you face a formidable battle to win your case. Pardon me if I refrain from wishing you good luck.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 2:09:53 PM
Thank you for posting, WSM. What's fascinating is that despite many anti-equality lobbyists denying moral condemnation or hatred, the brief has no trouble inferring both from indifference to need and suffering, and perception of threat.

Here in Australia where nationally we have an overwhelming majority in support of gay marriage (one of the highest levels of support for any public policy issue on record), both major parties refuse to table it as an issue -- and hide behind the same 'not condemning it; just preserving the status quo' cop-out language.

I hope this progresses, simply because every recalcitrant democratic legislature in the world, and every cowardly representative will have it cited in their faces, time and again.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 2:26:24 PM
At 2/22/2015 2:09:53 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
Thank you for posting, WSM. What's fascinating is that despite many anti-equality lobbyists denying moral condemnation or hatred, the brief has no trouble inferring both from indifference to need and suffering, and perception of threat.

Here in Australia where nationally we have an overwhelming majority in support of gay marriage (one of the highest levels of support for any public policy issue on record), both major parties refuse to table it as an issue -- and hide behind the same 'not condemning it; just preserving the status quo' cop-out language.

I hope this progresses, simply because every recalcitrant democratic legislature in the world, and every cowardly representative will have it cited in their faces, time and again.

I am not familiar with Australia's legal system. Can't it be challenged there?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 2:49:50 PM
At 2/22/2015 2:26:24 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I am not familiar with Australia's legal system. Can't it be challenged there?

Alas, no. We're one of the few countries in the world with running water but no constitutional assertion of human rights. :p So essentially, oppressive legislation can be revoked and then restored endlessly, and that's exactly what has happened.

In one jurisdiction, it was legislated to recognise same-sex marriage. But then the conservative government of the day redefined marriage federally in 2004 so that legislation would have no power. Despite overwhelming public support to overturn that legislation and essentially uphold same-sex marriage, the so-called progressive government which followed upheld it anyway (and this under an atheist Prime Minister in a common law relationship. :p)

Why? Well it wasn't that they thought repealing it would be an unpopular decision. A majority of Australians support same-sex marriage, including majorities among people of faith, and people over 55. I think it was for three reasons:

1. The Prime Minister so didn't believe in marriage, she didn't want to legitimise it further (a defensible but rather self-indulgent 1970s Baby Boomer/second wave feminist position);
2. Parliamentary members don't reflect the diversity of society; and
3. Even a wildly popular position can still be attacked by well-funded political interests (let's say, by churches in this case, whose views are apparently different from their parishioners), and cost marginal seats -- and this was a minority government.

So, in the end, narrow-mindedness, bigotry and cowardice saw us take a bold stride backwards. C'est la vie.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 3:09:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. But in a way, it gives me even more respect for the US constitution and form of government. It is by no means perfect, though. Currently we are experiencing partisan political gridlock on a unprecedented scale, with both sides beholden to BIG money individuals and corporations. It's disgusting. Then we have the idealogs who would sell their very souls for a single vote.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 4:43:05 PM
At 2/22/2015 12:27:12 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

I just downloaded the pdf file and read the whole thing. I believe it presents the most complete and compelling argument for same sex marriage I have ever encountered. Anyone who asks "Why should same sex marriage be legal? " should read it (or remain willfully ignorant).

For those of us that support same sex marriage, I urge to not only read the brief, but also to sign the petition in support of the brief.

For those opposed to same sex marriage, you face a formidable battle to win your case. Pardon me if I refrain from wishing you good luck.

I'd prefer not to download it. Could you copy and paste it here?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 5:37:38 PM
At 2/22/2015 4:43:05 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I would be glad to, except, keep in mind, this is a legal brief, 35 pages long, 262.2 Kb pdf file I don't think it would even fit in my clipboard cache, much less the space allowed here.

My phone automatically scans downloads for viruses. I was easily able to open the file in an Android app WPS Office.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 5:47:18 PM
At 2/22/2015 5:37:38 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

I would be glad to, except, keep in mind, this is a legal brief, 35 pages long, 262.2 Kb pdf file I don't think it would even fit in my clipboard cache, much less the space allowed here.

My phone automatically scans downloads for viruses. I was easily able to open the file in an Android app WPS Office.

Why would someone on here read something that's 35 pages long?
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 6:08:12 PM
At 2/22/2015 5:47:18 PM, Varrack wrote:

Because they choose not to remain ignorant.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 6:41:32 PM
At 2/22/2015 6:08:12 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Lol. Nice try, but if you can't even make an argument in your own words than no one cares.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:08:03 PM
At 2/22/2015 6:41:32 PM, Varrack wrote:

Lol. Nice try, but if you can't even make an argument in your own words than no one cares.

-) :-) :-) Nice try. :-) :-) :-)
Explain it to SCOTUS. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 10:00:37 PM
At 2/22/2015 7:08:03 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Explain it to SCOTUS. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

You seem very incapable of making a single argument yourself. If that's the case, you probably shouldn't be on debate.org.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:09:20 PM
Ima read it
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:09:28 PM
At 2/22/2015 10:00:37 PM, Varrack wrote:

You seem very incapable of making a single argument yourself. If that's the case, you probably shouldn't be on debate.org.

The case has already been made, time and time and time again. You are just dreading the results at the end of June. I'm looking forward to it.

Suck it up and at least ACT like a man.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:10:35 PM
At 2/22/2015 11:09:28 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

The case has already been made, time and time and time again. You are just dreading the results at the end of June. I'm looking forward to it.

A case that you're afraid to present, lol.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:23:34 PM
At 2/22/2015 11:18:07 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/22/2015 11:09:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Ima read it

It's 35 pages.

So? You have an attention span problem?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:24:17 PM
At 2/22/2015 11:18:07 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/22/2015 11:09:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Ima read it

It's 35 pages.

I have read books on different issues, lol
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:26:59 PM
The argument is pretty flawed. It argues (1) Discrimination and (2) it harms gay people. (1) is incorrect or correct depending on how you define marriage. And (2) is interesting but fairly weak. The benefits are given in order to promote *something*. The something may be the goodness of heterosexual union. If it is, then the benefits are justly being taken away. They proved that discrimination is occurring--but is it just? The answer is, well, maybe. It was a good read but it is not very convincing. I will read the Windsor case since I have heard the Court made some interesting points.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:28:16 PM
"Yet legal barriers to the
recognition of the relationship between gay parents, and
between gay parents and their own children, deprive them of
many significant rights and protections under state law."

Gay parents actually are worse, not because of discrimination. You only get no difference when biology is controlled for (Sullins, 2014). So harming the children is not necessarily an issue
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:34:28 PM
Also, cohabiting couples should get benefits--they love each other and don't get any!

The case isn't very strong.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:37:32 PM
Here is Windsor vs US (pdf): http://www.supremecourt.gov...
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:42:31 PM
At 2/22/2015 11:10:35 PM, Varrack wrote:

Why should anyone have to present the same to you over and over and over and over again?? You either get it or you don't.

Unfortunately for you, you JUST DON'T GET IT!!!

You better get a BIG bottle of Scotch ( or whatever) to drown yourself with come the end of June.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:50:39 PM
At 2/22/2015 11:42:31 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Why should anyone have to present the same to you over and over and over and over again?? You either get it or you i

What case? You've presented no case at all besides a link to an extremely lengthy essay that no one wants to read.

Get what?

You better get a BIG bottle of Scotch ( or whatever) to drown yourself with come the end of June.

LOL. I don't really care about the issue that much. It's already legal in my state so big whoop. But nice personal attack.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:52:07 PM
At 2/22/2015 11:28:16 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Gay parents actually are worse, not because of discrimination. You only get no difference when biology is controlled for (Sullins, 2014). So harming the children is not necessarily an issue

Has any court (especially federal) agreed with you evaluation and upheld same sex marriage bans on that argument?
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:13:19 AM
At 2/22/2015 11:50:39 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/22/2015 11:42:31 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Why should anyone have to present the same to you over and over and over and over again?? You either get it or you i

What case? You've presented no case at all besides a link to an extremely lengthy essay that no one wants to read.

Get what?

LOL. I don't really care about the issue that much. It's already legal in my state so big whoop. But nice personal attack.

Poor baby. Did I hurt your widdle feelings? Try 65 years of being bullied, condensation etc, etc, etc, etc. If you are looking for sympathy, you won't find it here. Am I bitter? You're damned right I am!!!! I've put up with your kind of crap my whole life and I'm not going to any more without speaking out.

And you wonder why people stand up and say "I'm gay and I'm proud ".????? We've had more than enough of bigotry.

God told me he would set me free by July 4th, 2015. He's keeping his word.

(Hope you understand sarcasm).
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 8:20:26 AM
At 2/22/2015 11:52:07 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 2/22/2015 11:28:16 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Has any court (especially federal) agreed with you evaluation and upheld same sex marriage bans on that argument?

Actually, yes.

Conaway v Deane 2007 (MD Supreme Court)
Hernandez v Robles (NY Supreme Court)
Andersen v King County 2006 (Wash Supreme Court)
Citizens for equal protection v. Bruning 2006 (Federal Appeals Court)
Morrison v Sadler 2005 (State appeals court)
Wilson v. Ake (Federal Trial Court)
Schalk v Austria 2010 (European Court)
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 8:52:54 AM

Am I the only one that thinks this is an issue?
It implies that the Supreme Court should bend to public opinion, which is dangerous, IMO. The supreme court should be focused on laws and interpretations, not public opinion.
My work here is, finally, done.