Send a Message
2/28/2015 4:21:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

Think these results mean anything? I don't, except maybe that Carson could get VP if one of these guys gets the nomination :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 7:03:57 PM
At 2/28/2015 4:21:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

Think these results mean anything? I don't, except maybe that Carson could get VP if one of these guys gets the nomination :P

Hopefully it means that conservatives have no tolerance for another "electable" moderate that will lose the general election.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 7:04:51 PM
At 2/28/2015 7:03:57 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

Hopefully it means that conservatives have no tolerance for another "electable" moderate that will lose the general election.

I dunno I kind of like Jeb
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 7:14:26 PM
At 2/28/2015 7:04:51 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

Lol if we had another Bush vs. Clinton again, it would likely be an easy win for Clinton. It was nausea-inducing how Jeb's supporters applauded him when he spoke in support of amnesty.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 7:20:14 PM
At 2/28/2015 7:14:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

Lol if we had another Bush vs. Clinton again, it would likely be an easy win for Clinton. It was nausea-inducing how Jeb's supporters applauded him when he spoke in support of amnesty.

You say that to me like it is a bad thing when I am a Latino myself :P
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:15:48 PM
At 2/28/2015 7:20:14 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

It is a bad thing to any person that respects and desires to preserve American culture and tradition, including concepts of limited government, free speech and rule of law. You are one of those people, from what I gather, though I may be mistaken.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:22:51 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:15:48 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

It is a bad thing to any person that respects and desires to preserve American culture and tradition, including concepts of limited government, free speech and rule of law. You are one of those people, from what I gather, though I may be mistaken.

What is "American culture"? American culture IS an immigrant culture. Jeb really made a good point which you have to face: what should we do with 11 million immigrants? Deporting them all would be very expensive and inefficient. Securing the border and giving them amnesty is really the only practical solution.

How do immigrants subvert free speech?

How do immigrants subvert the rule of law? Arguably they are more likely to be criminals because they are not citizens, and not being a citizen reduces their pay. This causes them to be poor, which in turn forces many to become criminals.

There is no good evidence that immigration harms America. The CIS has some cool studies saying it decreases wages, but we must remember if we make it easier to become a citizen they can no longer be paid below minimum wage, thus they would be in competition with other workers and would not be simple shoe-ins. Other research, however, argues illegal immigration increases wages (http://www.nber.org...). So really, the case against amnesty is pretty bad. I lean towards securing the border, mainly for national security reasons, but allowing immigration (with, of course, the proper precautions) would not harm America, and it would be beneficial.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 7:59:55 PM
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

How is Carson a viable candidate? The guy is a neurosurgeon, not a guy that is put in charge of extremely important foreign relations. He should probably stick to being a neurosurgeon, because he's a damn good one, too.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:02:29 PM
At 3/2/2015 7:59:55 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

How is Carson a viable candidate? The guy is a neurosurgeon, not a guy that is put in charge of extremely important foreign relations. He should probably stick to being a neurosurgeon, because he's a damn good one, too.

He already retired. Also I don't see how not being a politician means you shouldn't be president.

I must note I support Jeb, btw.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:05:57 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:02:29 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

He already retired. Also I don't see how not being a politician means you shouldn't be president.

I'd still take a guy that has been a Governor, Senator or whatever than a guy that made one speech that a lot of people agreed with.

He's probably the best of the five.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:09:28 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:05:57 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

I'd still take a guy that has been a Governor, Senator or whatever than a guy that made one speech that a lot of people agreed with.

I do agree with that. I would vote for someone like that for those positions, though. I think moving up for presidency makes sense. Honestly, I would prefer voting for a PhD economist for Senator than most people that run XD

That's why I like him :P
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:16:42 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:09:28 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

I do agree with that. I would vote for someone like that for those positions, though. I think moving up for presidency makes sense. Honestly, I would prefer voting for a PhD economist for Senator than most people that run XD

I would rather vote for a semi-retarded, autistic dog than re-elect some of those people.

If the Republicans were to win, I'd hope he'd be the one.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:18:50 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:16:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

I would rather vote for a semi-retarded, autistic dog than re-elect some of those people.

lololol

Honestly even though I disagree with Progressivedem I would totally vote him for pres because he understands how the economy works. He is too young though :P

I loooooove jebbbbbb. He is the smartest one. And I pretty much agree with him on everything. I am becoming moderate :(

Nah I am more extreme than him on economics but, overall, he is the best one for the job. I hate Hillary so much :P
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:23:01 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:18:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

lololol

Honestly even though I disagree with Progressivedem I would totally vote him for pres because he understands how the economy works. He is too young though :P

We probably do need more people that understand the economy in there...or just anything in general...anything above a person that works solely to please a donor would be helpful...

I loooooove jebbbbbb. He is the smartest one. And I pretty much agree with him on everything. I am becoming moderate :)

Fix'd.

Nah I am more extreme than him on economics but, overall, he is the best one for the job. I hate Hillary so much :P

Lol I want Hillary to win...but I'll agree that he's the best Republican for the job.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:24:05 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:23:01 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/2/2015 8:18:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

lololol

We probably do need more people that understand the economy in there...or just anything in general...anything above a person that works solely to please a donor would be helpful...

yes

I loooooove jebbbbbb. He is the smartest one. And I pretty much agree with him on everything. I am becoming moderate :)

Fix'd.

lol

Lol I want Hillary to win...but I'll agree that he's the best Republican for the job.

I don't since I read peer-reviewed papers on how taxes work :P
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:24:37 PM
5. Jeb Bush
Why do you like Jeb Bush?
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:26:04 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:24:37 PM, That1User wrote:
5. Jeb Bush

Well I am a conservative...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:27:24 PM
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

Ron/Rand Paul has won 5 of the last 6 years (before this one). I don't think it really tells you much.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:29:13 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:26:04 PM, 16kadams wrote:
5. Jeb Bush

I know you are a conservative and I know Jeb Bush and the other canidates are conversative, but why do you like Jeb Bush over the other canidates? Is it his fiscal policy?
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 8:47:25 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:29:13 PM, That1User wrote:
5. Jeb Bush

I know you are a conservative and I know Jeb Bush and the other canidates are conversative, but why do you like Jeb Bush over the other canidates? Is it his fiscal policy?

Not necessarily. The majority of them have similar views, though Rand and Ted have a few issues I significantly differ on.

(1) Rand: He wants to edit the Fed, like they have done something wrong. It should be noted they already have many audits going on, and adding another one will simply make it harder for the Fed to do its job. The Fed is very important for monetary stimulus which mitigates recessions and causes economic growth. Further, it would give congress more control over monetary policy, not something we really want as the Fed does a pretty good job. Would you rather a PhD in economics control the Fed or random politicians--regardless the party--which have an axe to grind. It would also cause financial volatility. Overall, terrible idea. I also think he likes the gold standard -- ew!

(2) Jeb is more qualified, probably, to handle foreign policy than Ted is. Jeb seems to keep a cooler head. Also supports the dumb audit the Fed idea. He also opposes amnesty, something I support. So no Ted.

(3) I like Carson, but I don't think he would be a good president because of experience. Maybe as VP or an advisor--but I think he should have some experience before he runs.

(4) I like Santorum a lot, actually, and he is probably my ideal choice. But let's be realistic--Jeb is gonna win the general, Santorum has no chance. Jeb is a better speaker, too

(5) I like Walker, but I think Jeb is smarter. I would have to look into Walker
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 9:00:51 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:47:25 PM, 16kadams wrote:
5. Jeb Bush

Not necessarily. The majority of them have similar views, though Rand and Ted have a few issues I significantly differ on.

(1) Rand: He wants to edit the Fed, like they have done something wrong. It should be noted they already have many audits going on, and adding another one will simply make it harder for the Fed to do its job. The Fed is very important for monetary stimulus which mitigates recessions and causes economic growth. Further, it would give congress more control over monetary policy, not something we really want as the Fed does a pretty good job. Would you rather a PhD in economics control the Fed or random politicians--regardless the party--which have an axe to grind. It would also cause financial volatility. Overall, terrible idea. I also think he likes the gold standard -- ew!

Ron Paul's policy appealed in 2008, but now I realize how of a bad monetary policy that is. I will have to look into the gold standard though.

(2) Jeb is more qualified, probably, to handle foreign policy than Ted is. Jeb seems to keep a cooler head. Also supports the dumb audit the Fed idea. He also opposes amnesty, something I support. So no Ted.

Agreed.

(3) I like Carson, but I don't think he would be a good president because of experience. Maybe as VP or an advisor--but I think he should have some experience before he runs.

I like Carson too, and I initially supported him, but he definiately needs more political expierence.
(4) I like Santorum a lot, actually, and he is probably my ideal choice. But let's be realistic--Jeb is gonna win the general, Santorum has no chance. Jeb is a better speaker, too

Why Santorum? Santorum is too extreme for me to be honest, and is too extreme for others, so yeah, he's not going to win. I'm just curious, as you are one of the few Santorum supporters I know, and the only Santorum who is an atheist.
I don't know much about Walker, so I'm in the same boat with you.

Bush's economic policy seems sound while he was Governor of Florida and his protection of the Everglades adds points to his environmental policy. It does seem like Jeb would be a decent canidate.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 9:04:50 PM
At 3/2/2015 9:00:51 PM, That1User wrote:
At 3/2/2015 8:47:25 PM, 16kadams wrote:
5. Jeb Bush

Ron Paul's policy appealed in 2008, but now I realize how of a bad monetary policy that is. I will have to look into the gold standard though.

Read my gold standard debate with HG, it should be in my sig

Agreed.

I like Carson too, and I initially supported him, but he definitely needs more political expierence.

Why Santorum? Santorum is too extreme for me to be honest, and is too extreme for others, so yeah, he's not going to win. I'm just curious, as you are one of the few Santorum supporters I know, and the only Santorum who is an atheist.

I am an extremist too :P

I don't know much about Walker, so I'm in the same boat with you.

Bush's economic policy seems sound while he was Governor of Florida and his protection of the Everglades adds points to his environmental policy. It does seem like Jeb would be a decent candidate.

Yeah he is by no means a moderate like the GOP says he is. I mean, he supports some moderate things (amnesty, environmental protection, common core). I don't have an opinion on common core. I oppose it from the little I have read, but one issue isn't enough to scare me away.
Raccoon98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 9:07:52 PM
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

i liek tslian /D
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 9:08:33 PM
At 3/2/2015 9:07:52 PM, Raccoon98 wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

i liek tslian /D

LOL
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 10:27:24 PM
At 3/2/2015 8:27:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

Ron/Rand Paul has won 5 of the last 6 years (before this one). I don't think it really tells you much.

You are probably right.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 12:13:27 AM
At 3/2/2015 5:22:51 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

What is "American culture"? American culture IS an immigrant culture.

At its core, it is the remnants of WASP America, as well as what I said before: limited government, rule of law, and free speech. The current wave of immigrants has no conception of constitutionally limited government whatsoever. Nor will they encounter it in the modern USA.
Jeb really made a good point which you have to face: what should we do with 11 million immigrants? Deporting them all would be very expensive and inefficient. Securing the border and giving them amnesty is really the only practical solution.

Securing the border is a no-brainer. Deportations were considered "expensive and inefficient" in 1986 when there were only 3 million immigrants, so they did amnesty. As a result we now have 11 million illegals costing taxpayers around $55 billion a year.
http://www.heritage.org...

How do immigrants subvert the rule of law? Arguably they are more likely to be criminals because they are not citizens, and not being a citizen reduces their pay. This causes them to be poor, which in turn forces many to become criminals.

The very fact that they are illegally crossing our border shows they have no regards for our sovereignty and laws. This free speech conflicts are more common in European countries with high populations of Muslims.
There is no good evidence that immigration harms America. The CIS has some cool studies saying it decreases wages, but we must remember if we make it easier to become a citizen they can no longer be paid below minimum wage, thus they would be in competition with other workers and would not be simple shoe-ins. Other research, however, argues illegal immigration increases wages (http://www.nber.org...). So really, the case against amnesty is pretty bad. I lean towards securing the border, mainly for national security reasons, but allowing immigration (with, of course, the proper precautions) would not harm America, and it would be beneficial.

The most significant depressant effect on wages over the last several decades has been due to women entering the workforce. The reason is that the new working women were already consumers, so they did not bring the associated increase in consumption (and demand for labor) that the immigrants do.

But hopefully you don't believe the effects of immigration reach no further than changes in wages. Immigration in controlled amounts is fine and often beneficial. The mass immigration (read: invasion) we have had since 1965 is a far different story. The geographic relocation of millions of poor people from within another country's border to our own hasn't magically transformed them into something besides poor people. If Americans wanted to live in a third-world country, they would move to one.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 12:27:51 AM
At 3/3/2015 12:13:27 AM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 3/2/2015 5:22:51 PM, 16kadams wrote:
1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Ted Cruz
4. Ben Carson
5. Jeb Bush

What is "American culture"? American culture IS an immigrant culture.

At its core, it is the remnants of WASP America, as well as what I said before: limited government, rule of law, and free speech. The current wave of immigrants has no conception of constitutionally limited government whatsoever. Nor will they encounter it in the modern USA.

Why don't they? That is just a racist statement. Many Cubans are very conservative because they oppose anything that even resembles communism. I suppose I am not an immigrant, but are you saying my mother, who was born in Puerto Rico, has no conception of a constitutionally limited government? Plus, if you think that is an issue, why not just ban liberalism? This argument is silly.

Jeb really made a good point which you have to face: what should we do with 11 million immigrants? Deporting them all would be very expensive and inefficient. Securing the border and giving them amnesty is really the only practical solution.

Securing the border is a no-brainer. Deportations were considered "expensive and inefficient" in 1986 when there were only 3 million immigrants, so they did amnesty. As a result we now have 11 million illegals costing taxpayers around $55 billion a year.
http://www.heritage.org...

This is a weak argument.
(1) If the Mexican economy improves, we would not see so many immigrants. Thus, policies aimed at fixing the Mexican economy--not just shipping them back--would actually increase the welfare of their lives and--in your opinion--benefit us.
(2) Any amnesty Bush supports includes securing the border, something which did not occur in 1986.
(3) The reason they cost us money is because they are illegal. Legal citizens pay taxes. If we closed the border--but allowed immigrants to come legally if they filled out the paper work--they would pay taxes and not cause financial harm.

The very fact that they are illegally crossing our border shows they have no regards for our sovereignty and laws. This free speech conflicts are more common in European countries with high populations of Muslims.

This isn't really true. Breaking unjust rules is not immoral. Imagine if you lived in Juarez, dirt poor, no running water, violence, and constant threat. Working at a McDonalds, shoveling crap, and doing the stuff you white people don't want to do is an attractive deal.

The most significant depressant effect on wages over the last several decades has been due to women entering the workforce. The reason is that the new working women were already consumers, so they did not bring the associated increase in consumption (and demand for labor) that the immigrants do.

So let's ban women in the workforce, by your logic.

But hopefully you don't believe the effects of immigration reach no further than changes in wages. Immigration in controlled amounts is fine and often beneficial. The mass immigration (read: invasion) we have had since 1965 is a far different story. The geographic relocation of millions of poor people from within another country's border to our own hasn't magically transformed them into something besides poor people. If Americans wanted to live in a third-world country, they would move to one.

Bush agrees with this. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY to get rid of all of the people here. Secure the borders, send the criminals back, and give amnesty to the rest. And we can study different policies at that point. Really, his point is the best solution at this time. Other than the economic cost--like education, welfare, roads--there is really no good argument against immigration. And even then, that is remedied by making them legal and securing the border XD

Also, the poor people here are a lot better off here than in Mexico. You are severely out of touch with what immigrants go through. A one percenter knows what a worker goes through because you bust your a**. Someone who thinks they are just as poor here as they are in Columbia or Mexico is just blind.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 12:30:43 AM
The Republicans have a really good bench this time around. Democrats, not so much.

Other than Clinton, they literally only have an arch progressive first term senator and a semi senile (but admittedly badass) old man. I don't think Clinton is as strong as the early polls indicate she is, either. Depending on how unpopular Obama becomes by the end of his term the GOP could complete its control of everything by taking the whitehouse.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 12:40:21 AM
At 3/3/2015 12:30:43 AM, thett3 wrote:
The Republicans have a really good bench this time around. Democrats, not so much.

Other than Clinton, they literally only have an arch progressive first term senator and a semi senile (but admittedly badass) old man. I don't think Clinton is as strong as the early polls indicate she is, either. Depending on how unpopular Obama becomes by the end of his term the GOP could complete its control of everything by taking the whitehouse.

The argument the the Republican party is dying is so dumb, lol. It's scarcely been stronger since reconstruction, and that was when the Democratic south was literally under a military occupation from the North.

I kind of get the argument that the GOP needs to do better among minorities especially since those groups are growing, but having a diverse coalition isn't a good thing if you can't keep it together. Right now the GOP is winning with an almost purely homogenous (aka white) base. George Bush won over 40% of the Hispanic vote in 2004. If Romney had gotten that margin, he would've easily become president. Republicans only have to poach a little bit of the hodgepodge that is the Democratic "base" to win. Good luck keeping together a coalition of a dozen different groups when you no longer have the perfect candidate with an experienced VP running against two morons or an incumbent president running against a candidate who said he didn't want the votes of 47% of the country.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 1:23:06 AM
At 3/3/2015 12:40:21 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/3/2015 12:30:43 AM, thett3 wrote:

The argument the the Republican party is dying is so dumb, lol. It's scarcely been stronger since reconstruction, and that was when the Democratic south was literally under a military occupation from the North.

I kind of get the argument that the GOP needs to do better among minorities especially since those groups are growing, but having a diverse coalition isn't a good thing if you can't keep it together. Right now the GOP is winning with an almost purely homogenous (aka white) base. George Bush won over 40% of the Hispanic vote in 2004. If Romney had gotten that margin, he would've easily become president. Republicans only have to poach a little bit of the hodgepodge that is the Democratic "base" to win. Good luck keeping together a coalition of a dozen different groups when you no longer have the perfect candidate with an experienced VP running against two morons or an incumbent president running against a candidate who said he didn't want the votes of 47% of the country.

Good luck getting any sane candidate through the Republican primary process intact =P

Seriously, the Republicans could have easily won if their primaries weren't rigged in favor of horrible candidates, or towards making broken hypocrites out of good candidates.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -