Jump to topic:

Isreal PM and the US Congress

Dsparks16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 8:21:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Isreal Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will speak before the Congress of the United States in a few days. The American Democratic Party opposes Netanyahu's speech as the American Republican Party favors it. The controversy has been House Speaker John Boehner invited Benjamin Netanyahu without consulting with President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry. The questions for you to answer will include, should John Boehner have consulted with the President? Should Democrats not attend Netanyahu's speech, why/why not? John Boehner also invited Pope Francis to speak in front of Congress, does a House Speaker have the authority to invite guests or does it compromise America's Foreign policy? Debate on!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 10:49:37 PM
I think that the legislature ought to have the authority to decide who speaks to them; the fact that anyone from the executive branch needs to 'approve' smacks of overreach to me. That said, I cannot abide Netanyahu and his condescension towards the US. We sacrifice a lot of international credibility to sanction his actions, which become bolder and more strident everyday. He has no place questioning our policies, and should be thankful we haven't given Israel the cold shoulder which its recent actions merit.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 8:39:39 AM
Ted Cruz
"If you will not stand with Israel and the Jews, then I will not stand with you. Thank you and God bless you,"

"I told the attendees that those who hate Israel also hate America, that those who hate Jews also hate Christians, and that anyone who hates Israel and the Jewish people is not following the teachings of Christ,"

That is all that needs to be said about this. The great irony in all of this is that the radical christian movement is really no friend of the Jews. They just want them all back home so god can destroy the world. Practically goo'ing their pants over it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 9:47:10 AM
At 2/28/2015 8:21:29 PM, Dsparks16 wrote:
Isreal Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will speak before the Congress of the United States in a few days. The American Democratic Party opposes Netanyahu's speech as the American Republican Party favors it. The controversy has been House Speaker John Boehner invited Benjamin Netanyahu without consulting with President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry. The questions for you to answer will include, should John Boehner have consulted with the President? Should Democrats not attend Netanyahu's speech, why/why not? John Boehner also invited Pope Francis to speak in front of Congress, does a House Speaker have the authority to invite guests or does it compromise America's Foreign policy? Debate on!

Not all of the Democratic party opposes Bibi's speech, but I generally agree that Bibi's visit will be destructive to what the Obama administration is trying to do in Iran.

It is my general belief that the Iranians cannot be trusted, the Israeli's usually can and our alliance with Israel is among the most valuable in that region. That said, the status quo is getting ready to change. Either Iran will continue its nuclear program in defiance of the United States (and will continue to fortify its facilities as would make them immune to missile strikes), or Iran will capitulate.

Getting Iran to defer requires something more than Bibi can accomplish; but Bibi can destroy that if he so choses. Once the Republicans in the house invited him to come, Bibi had to come or else look rude. He knows it's a political play by the Republicans.

That said, I think Netanyahu will keep the fiery rhetoric in check because he really wants what Obama wants too -he just can't appear to want it or he wouldn't get reelected. He also knows that the Republicans are just trying to sabotage this sh!t with Iran so that Obama looks bad.

Basically, inviting Netanyahu was nothing more than the GOP stirring the pot, when there are already too many cooks in the kitchen. John Boehner needs to learn his place, and he needs to get on board with what is objectively best for everyone here. The GOP needs to stop screwing things up for political points.

tl;dr inviting Bibi was nothing more than a sophomoric political stunt...
Tsar of DDO