Jump to topic:

Giving the Kurds a Country?

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 4:43:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Recently Rand Paul came out and stated that we should give the Kurds a nation and then arm the nation so that they may fight ISIS. (http://www.tpnn.com...)

What are your thoughts on this? What are the Pro's and the COn's of this plan?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Spectre2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 5:04:07 PM
At 3/13/2015 4:43:03 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Recently Rand Paul came out and stated that we should give the Kurds a nation and then arm the nation so that they may fight ISIS. (http://www.tpnn.com...)

Pros:

Kurds have a nation where they are no longer discriminated against

They have to fight ISIS so they will join the fight

Cons:

We might regret it down the road when they threaten US interests.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 5:05:43 PM
At 3/13/2015 5:04:07 PM, Spectre2 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Threaten our interests how?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Spectre2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 6:05:40 PM
At 3/13/2015 5:05:43 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Get power, defeat ISIS, get power hungry, challenge the US in the middle east.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 6:09:41 PM
At 3/13/2015 6:05:40 PM, Spectre2 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

What backing to you have on that? They would be a great power check against the Irianians.

Spectre2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 6:10:31 PM
At 3/13/2015 6:09:41 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

What backing to you have on that? They would be a great power check against the Irianians.

Nothing. Im just weary of trusting muslims
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 6:11:44 PM
At 3/13/2015 6:10:31 PM, Spectre2 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

If you don't and we continue our current foreign policy towards them they are more likely to preform acts of terror against the US.

Spectre2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 6:13:07 PM
At 3/13/2015 6:11:44 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

If you don't and we continue our current foreign policy towards them they are more likely to preform acts of terror against the US.

Lets go in there and fight them by ourselves. Cut funding to all departments by a decent percentage and increase the military budget
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 6:17:23 PM
At 3/13/2015 6:13:07 PM, Spectre2 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Lets go in there and fight them by ourselves. Cut funding to all departments by a decent percentage and increase the military budget

No, that will just p*ss off the Muslims and is exactly what they want. Do you realize how much the US debt and inflation has sprung since 2001? Do you realize how devistating that it's been? I'm all for fighting ISIS, but the Middle East doesn't want US boots on the ground. They would take US weapons to fight ISIS and I would definately support arming the Kurds.

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 6:47:11 PM
I'm not sure. I have no doubt Kurdistan could be a viable state if created, and I also think it is very likely it would be a free country, as their attitudes are fairly moderate (except for their unfortunate practice of FGM) and they are positive towards Israel and the US. I'm not sure breaking up the region even more with ISIS on the run, however, is a great idea.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 6:57:02 PM

Pros:
-Right to self determination

Cons:
-Land for this new nation would have to come from somewhere, neither Turkey nor Iraq are willing. Taking land from Iraq would weaken them in their fight against ISIS.
-it will immensely piss off turkey, as Kurds are seen as terrorists in Turkey.

The kurds are already fighting ISIS, they don't need a nation to spur them to battle. It's probably better to support the kurds through a federal 3 state iraqi system.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 7:11:25 PM
At 3/13/2015 6:57:02 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
-Land for this new nation would have to come from somewhere, neither Turkey nor Iraq are willing. Taking land from Iraq would weaken them in their fight against ISIS.
: -it will immensely piss off turkey, as Kurds are seen as terrorists in Turkey.

Yeah, this is why it won't happen unless Turkey backstabs the West.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 7:17:03 PM
At 3/13/2015 7:11:25 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
: -it will immensely piss off turkey, as Kurds are seen as terrorists in Turkey.

Pretty much. But I'd argue Turkey is in a way backstabbing by being a sh!tty ally and aiding ISIS.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 7:41:54 PM
I like the idea of the Kurds having their own country. I like that idea very much, actually. The Kurds have been historically a very strong ally of the United States, they have consistently acted in our best interest and they have seemed to ignore the some of the really bad things we have indirectly done to them. However, I don't think the United States is in much of a position to be giving anyone a state of their own.

As I have said before, I supported the War in Iraq because I believed in the hope of a democratic future for that country. I naively thought that Iraq could be a place where democracy would flourish, and that would build a strong alliance with the United States in the region. What I did not anticipate (because I was 12 when we invaded Iraq) were the geopolitical consequences. Iraq as a country was far more fragile than I, and also George W. Bush, thought.

Like Bush, I believed at the time that American-style democracy was so good, in and of itself, that it didn't need to be "sold" to the Iraqi people. I assumed, again naively, that they would welcome us with open arms, and that they would work with us (rather than expend every conceivable effort to thwart us) in pursuit of a common objective: the Iraqi people's political freedom. I believed this in large part because I had an optimistic, rather than a pragmatic and realistic view of human nature, and I was largely ignorant of Iraq's culture at the time. I was so ignorant, in fact, that I didn't know what I didn't know. I didn't ask more questions because I didn't think to ask more questions. I thought that remodeling Iraq would be like remodeling an old house.

But Iraq wasn't really like a "house" in the sense that there was no viable existing political infrastructure. There was nothing more than a hierarchy of malevolent thugs who were promoted on the basis of the extent to which they bent over for the Hussein family (literally or figuratively). Iraq's people had grown bitter and helpless in the wake of Saddam's totalitarianism. Even though Iraq was bathed in near perpetual sunlight, a cloud of darkness hung over the country that prevented the Iraqi people from even being able to recognize "light" when they saw it.

So, when we invaded... we were not liberators: we were "what came next." The was but one glimmer of hope in regard to Iraq when Saddam hung from a rope before the people that he brutalized; and any hope of democratic change died in what is now, with ISIL, analogous to the Reign of Terror following the French Revolution. Unlike the French, however, the Iraqis have NO culture upon which they might salvage their nation, they have NO institutional memory of functioning political government, and generally they have no hope whatsoever in the area of rebuilding their country until at least a majority of Iraqis decides to take back the reigns from the likes of ISIL.

What that all means is that the Kurds, if they ever wanted to create their own country, have a very limited window of opportunity that narrows with each passing day: they can, and should take their country from ISIL, and salvage what little they can before the entirety of Iraq implodes under its own weight.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 7:50:32 PM
At 3/13/2015 7:17:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Pretty much. But I'd argue Turkey is in a way backstabbing by being a sh!tty ally and aiding ISIS.

That's just Turkey though, lol. They were a shitty ally by fighting Greece in Cyprus as well. We just want them for their straights and overall tactical position.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:29:22 PM
Sure, I am a fan of the Jews and Israel, so I am gonna be the fan of the Kurds and Kurdistan.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 12:00:09 AM
At 3/13/2015 6:17:23 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/13/2015 6:13:07 PM, Spectre2 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

No, that will just p*ss off the Muslims and is exactly what they want. Do you realize how much the US debt and inflation has sprung since 2001? Do you realize how devistating that it's been? I'm all for fighting ISIS, but the Middle East doesn't want US boots on the ground. They would take US weapons to fight ISIS and I would definately support arming the Kurds.

Isn't this the sort of logic that was employed when we gave the Afghanis weapons to fight the Russians?

Not sure that worked out terribly well, a few decades down the road.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 12:03:09 AM
Before we try to fix every other place in the world, why don't we fix our own country first? We spend an inane amount of money on defense, and nothing changes...maybe it's time to stop banging our heads against the wall.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 12:18:09 AM

- I think the West must cease meddling in the affairs of other peoples.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 1:56:23 AM

Pros:

Cons:

- Actually, the relationship between the Kurds & the Turkish government led my Erdogan is much better than what it was in the past.

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 11:02:10 AM
At 3/14/2015 1:56:23 AM, YassineB wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

- Actually, the relationship between the Kurds & the Turkish government led my Erdogan is much better than what it was in the past.

Yeah, but he's pushing hard for Turkish unity. I doubt that he wants an independent state trying to break away from Turkey, especially along an already unstable border. I think that, if that happens, it will happen with Western support, as an attempt to sow conflict within Turkey's borders in retribution for a perceived slight.

The three big powers in the Middle East are Turkey, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. We maintain influence in Turkey and Saudi Arabia. If Turkey breaks away from the West, then the West may seek regime change in order to maintain our power in the region. Support for a Kurdish state would also serve as a tool if we go that route, as there are also Kurdish minorities in Iran who might raise a clamor once they see independence as a distinct possibility. We'd essentially be weakening two 'enemies' (from a Western perspective) while creating a new client state between them.
- Hilaire Belloc -
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 11:21:58 AM
At 3/14/2015 11:02:10 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/14/2015 1:56:23 AM, YassineB wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Yeah, but he's pushing hard for Turkish unity. I doubt that he wants an independent state trying to break away from Turkey, especially along an already unstable border. I think that, if that happens, it will happen with Western support, as an attempt to sow conflict within Turkey's borders in retribution for a perceived slight.

The three big powers in the Middle East are Turkey, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. We maintain influence in Turkey and Saudi Arabia. If Turkey breaks away from the West, then the West may seek regime change in order to maintain our power in the region. Support for a Kurdish state would also serve as a tool if we go that route, as there are also Kurdish minorities in Iran who might raise a clamor once they see independence as a distinct possibility. We'd essentially be weakening two 'enemies' (from a Western perspective) while creating a new client state between them.

- It's like you're reading my mind, & I am pretty sure they're cooking up something already.