Jump to topic:

100% income tax

emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 9:34:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm hoping to gather some thoughts. What does everyone think of the 100% income tax. Essentially, the State has decided to arbitrarily tax all of your income so that you end with no money left and you essentially are a slave to your government's whim.
My real question is, at what point is taxation theft and at what point is it not?
Does social contract theory justify a 100% income tax because said tax is written into law?
According to social contract theory, remaining within the confines of a State's jurisdiction is some sort of "tacit consent" to be subject to and obey all of its laws. However, how are you supposed to travel outside of the government's jurisdiction without any money to travel?
I think this has grave consequences on the argument that taxation is consensual and is therefore not theft.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:30:09 PM
100% income tax means you get 0% of your labor, so no one will work. That makes it an economically impossible concept.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:33:13 PM
As for how to travel without money. It's called walking. You walk to another country. People do it all the time without money.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:39:30 PM
A free market example would be a pay to park garage in a free market. Where you pay by the hour. While you are in there, taking up their resources (in this example, a parking spot), you have to pay the fees. If you don't like their fees, you can go to a different garage. If you don't like any of them, though, that is what the free market gave you.

In the garage example, it only becomes theft if the garage itself is preventing you from leaving so that they can collect fees. If other factors are preventing you that is not caused by the garage (like you left you light on and now have a dead battery), that is not theft.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 3:54:21 PM
At 3/17/2015 9:34:21 AM, emospongebob527 wrote:
I'm hoping to gather some thoughts. What does everyone think of the 100% income tax. Essentially, the State has decided to arbitrarily tax all of your income so that you end with no money left and you essentially are a slave to your government's whim.
My real question is, at what point is taxation theft and at what point is it not?
Does social contract theory justify a 100% income tax because said tax is written into law?
According to social contract theory, remaining within the confines of a State's jurisdiction is some sort of "tacit consent" to be subject to and obey all of its laws. However, how are you supposed to travel outside of the government's jurisdiction without any money to travel?
I think this has grave consequences on the argument that taxation is consensual and is therefore not theft.

Are you familiar with the well known American Revolution era quote "Taxation without representation is tyranny!"? That should go a ways in pointing you towards your answer.

Your argument is not well served by your absurd premise, any more than the opposite view would be served by a "0% taxation society" premise. So, to your final thought here-- no, absurdly framed arguments do not have grave consequences for more reasoned arguments...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz