Jump to topic:

China: It's Illegal to Reincarnate

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 6:38:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
From the article (this article mischaracterizes Tibeten beliefs, but it's hilarious):

China tells living Buddhas to obtain permission before they reincarnate

Jane Macartney in Beijing

Tibet's living Buddhas have been banned from reincarnation without permission from China's atheist leaders. The ban is included in new rules intended to assert Beijing's authority over Tibet's restive and deeply Buddhist people.

"The so-called reincarnated living Buddha without government approval is illegal and invalid," according to the order, which comes into effect on September 1.

The 14-part regulation issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs is aimed at limiting the influence of Tibet's exiled god-king, the Dalai Lama, and at preventing the re-incarnation of the 72-year-old monk without approval from Beijing.

It is the latest in a series of measures by the Communist authorities to tighten their grip over Tibet. Reincarnate lamas, known as tulkus, often lead religious communities and oversee the training of monks, giving them enormous influence over religious life in the Himalayan region. Anyone outside China is banned from taking part in the process of seeking and recognising a living Buddha, effectively excluding the Dalai Lama, who traditionally can play an important role in giving recognition to candidate reincarnates.

For the first time China has given the Government the power to ensure that no new living Buddha can be identified, sounding a possible death knell to a mystical system that dates back at least as far as the 12th century.

China already insists that only the Government can approve the appointments of Tibet's two most important monks, the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama. The Dalai Lama's announcement in May 1995 that a search inside Tibet — and with the co- operation of a prominent abbot — had identified the 11th reincarnation of the Panchen Lama, who died in 1989, enraged Beijing. That prompted the Communist authorities to restart the search and to send a senior Politburo member to Lhasa to oversee the final choice. This resulted in top Communist officials presiding over a ceremony at the main Jokhang temple in Lhasa in which names of three boys inscribed on ivory sticks were placed inside a golden urn and a lot was then drawn to find the true reincarnation.

The boy chosen by the Dalai Lama has disappeared. The abbot who worked with the Dalai Lama was jailed and has since vanished. Several sets of rules on seeking out "soul boys" were promulgated in 1995, but were effectively in abeyance and hundreds of living Buddhas are now believed to live inside and outside China.

All Tibetans believe in reincarnation, but only the holiest or most outstanding individuals are believed to be recognisable — a tulku, or apparent body. One Tibetan monk told The Times: "In the past there was no such regulation. The management of living Buddhas is becoming more strict."

The search for a reincarnation is a mystical process involving clues left by the deceased and visions among leading monks on where to look. The current Dalai Lama, the fourteenth of the line, was identified in 1937 when monks came to his village.

China has long insisted that it must have the final say over the appointment of the most senior lamas. Tibet experts said that the new regulations may also be aimed at limiting the influence of new lamas.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 6:41:51 PM
Hahaha - and its funny because they're dead serious!

But, no, it is just another intrusion of the Chinese state into religious matters - simply because they fear any organized movement, whether its against them or not. They're trying to demonstrate their control over both the movement and the individuals/leaders within it.

Still damn funny, though.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 6:43:22 PM
Lmao. China has good food and a nice wall, but other then that I don't like it too much. I'd rather visit South Korea.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 7:06:35 PM
My grandmother who is uber-rich used to go to China for most of her vacations... There must be something appealing about it.

How is western religion any less ridiculous, exactly?
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 7:10:13 PM
At 7/20/2010 7:06:35 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
My grandmother who is uber-rich used to go to China for most of her vacations... There must be something appealing about it.

How is western religion any less ridiculous, exactly?

Its not. I'd find Buddhism or Wicca way easier to belive then Christianity. Just saying.

Well it prolly has some pretty nice scenery. Nothing I'd wanna stick around to see for the rest of my life with the way China is.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 8:20:22 PM
At 7/20/2010 6:41:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
But, no, it is just another intrusion of the Chinese state into religious matters - simply because they fear any organized movement, whether its against them or not. They're trying to demonstrate their control over both the movement and the individuals/leaders within it.

Which is funny because the Tibetans are the last group of people to be feared, especially by the Chinese government.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 8:26:51 PM
At 7/20/2010 8:20:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Which is funny because the Tibetans are the last group of people to be feared, especially by the Chinese government.

I know, but its the fact that they do not have control over it that annoys them. Totalitarianism-lite, you could call it; Chinese private lives are fairly excluded from government snooping, but organized groups are heavily infiltrated to ensure that they aren't "counter-revolutionary." Biggest fear of the government in China is that those billion and a half people start getting organized.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:46:54 AM
I'd love to see how a government which is A Theist checks to see phi a spirit has reincarnated. Lmfao.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 6:40:18 AM
At 7/20/2010 6:38:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

China tells living Buddhas to obtain permission before they reincarnate

Now that is a strong emigration policy.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 6:56:50 AM
At 7/20/2010 6:38:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
From the article (this article mischaracterizes Tibeten beliefs, but it's hilarious):

China tells living Buddhas to obtain permission before they reincarnate:

Good luck verifying that... But really, who expected anything less from a horribly repressive government that harvests living people's organs and sells them on the black market?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 7:00:54 AM
I'm surprised China are doing that as it partly legitimises the religion.

I think the Chinese are right to suppress religious activities because churches, mosques and temples drain the people of their time and money and religion can also lead to civil unrest, as witnessed recently in Urumqi when the Han Chinese clashed with Muslims.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 7:13:22 AM
I think the Chinese are right to suppress religious activities because churches, mosques and temples drain the people of their time and money and religion can also lead to civil unrest, as witnessed recently in Urumqi when the Han Chinese clashed with Muslims.:

That's scary of you to say, especially in light of just how much civil unrest has been caused because of China's atheist policies.

Here's a revolutionary idea: Let's let people decide what they want to believe, so long has it does not harm other people. We'll call it "Freedom." I know, I know.... Crazy!!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 7:26:40 PM
At 7/21/2010 7:00:54 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I think the Chinese are right to suppress religious activities because churches, mosques and temples drain the people of their time and money and religion can also lead to civil unrest, as witnessed recently in Urumqi when the Han Chinese clashed with Muslims.

Buddhists aren't violent and there's not one passage in scripture that advocates violence. So you can't attribute civil unrest to Buddhist temples.

http://www.debate.org...

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 9:04:15 PM
At 7/21/2010 7:00:54 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn...

Are you serious?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!