The United Nations...

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 12:50:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Continues to be a unmitigated joke.

The Commission of the Status of Women named Israel the WORST country in the world for women's rights...

What?

Surely there are worse countries in the world for women than Israel? How about the west African nations which practice universal female mutilation and child brides? Or Iran and Saudi Arabia who stone their women and prevent them from doing basic things like traveling, driving and voting? Or China, where female babies are killed on a regular basis to enforce a male bias?

No none of these states are the worst. Israel is.

The Commission of the Status of Women is made up of 45 elector states. Let's look and see what kind of nations are on the Commission...

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia
(full list here: http://www.unwomen.org...)

None of these countries have good records for human rights in general and many of them have had blatant and horrible problems in recent years regarding women and women's rights. But Israel is the enemy here.

The organization is a joke and becoming more and more blatantly so.

http://www.algemeiner.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 1:05:39 AM
At 3/21/2015 12:50:19 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

The Commission of the Status of Women named Israel the WORST country in the world for women's rights...

What?

Surely there are worse countries in the world for women than Israel? How about the west African nations which practice universal female mutilation and child brides? Or Iran and Saudi Arabia who stone their women and prevent them from doing basic things like traveling, driving and voting? Or China, where female babies are killed on a regular basis to enforce a male bias?

The Commission of the Status of Women is made up of 45 elector states. Let's look and see what kind of nations are on the Commission...

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

None of these countries have good records for human rights in general and many of them have had blatant and horrible problems in recent years regarding women and women's rights. But Israel is the enemy here.

I don't think there's anyone informed left who actually believes that the UN is a principled defender of anything, instead of just another political organization subject to all of the foibles of politics. Hey, at least it doesn't have the power to enforce any of this nonsense.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 1:08:32 AM
At 3/21/2015 1:05:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

I don't think there's anyone informed left who actually believes that the UN is a principled defender of anything, instead of just another political organization subject to all of the foibles of politics. Hey, at least it doesn't have the power to enforce any of this nonsense.

I think that makes it worse. It has no real power. They make a lot of useless noise and distractions all while sucking in huge amounts of money (mainly from the United States). And for what? So they can do this kind of nonsense? Everyone knows the UN has no power... which makes me ask, not for the first time, what's the point? It's such a waste of resources: time, attention, money, capital, manpower.

A complete and utter waste... imagine if we took all this money and time and manpower and used it for other more constructive purposes. Like actual state building.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 1:12:50 AM
At 3/21/2015 1:08:32 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

I think that makes it worse. It has no real power. They make a lot of useless noise and distractions all while sucking in huge amounts of money (mainly from the United States). And for what? So they can do this kind of nonsense? Everyone knows the UN has no power... which makes me ask, not for the first time, what's the point? It's such a waste of resources: time, attention, money, capital, manpower.

A complete and utter waste... imagine if we took all this money and time and manpower and used it for other more constructive purposes. Like actual state building.

The useless noise is the purpose. It's a playpen, a distraction, and a way for the most powerful players on the world stage to cement their legitimacy through playacting which, to the informed, is patently absurd, but which seems meaningful to the uninformed. It creates the illusion of representation, however fragile, for the disenfranchised while the playmasters further their own agendas. The very structure of the UN sets up a set of nations as above all others to this purpose.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 1:13:51 AM
At 3/21/2015 1:12:50 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

The useless noise is the purpose. It's a playpen, a distraction, and a way for the most powerful players on the world stage to cement their legitimacy through playacting which, to the informed, is patently absurd, but which seems meaningful to the uninformed. It creates the illusion of representation, however fragile, for the disenfranchised while the playmasters further their own agendas. The very structure of the UN sets up a set of nations as above all others to this purpose.

I mean that's no secret. The Security Council Nations are the real players. I know that's the purpose but it just fundamentally bothers me.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 1:15:40 AM
At 3/21/2015 1:13:51 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

I mean that's no secret. The Security Council Nations are the real players. I know that's the purpose but it just fundamentally bothers me.

Haha, sort of like car alarms on an international level.
- Hilaire Belloc -
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 1:17:15 AM
At 3/21/2015 1:15:40 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/21/2015 1:13:51 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

Haha, sort of like car alarms on an international level.

Except the car alarms distract everyone in the parking lot as the dealership next door is robbed and set up to out compete you simultaneously.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 8:49:30 AM

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

That's because a large part of the entire platform has become a political playground rather than its originally intended purpose, a diplomatic institution dedicated to solving world issues and preserving peace.

That being said, the UN as a whole is definitely not a waste of space, and it is not purposeless. These councils and assemblies - a lot of which are indeed a waste of time - do not constitute the UN in its entirety. There are branch organizations of the United Nations, like UN Peacekeepers, International Lawyers and Doctors, etc that do a lot of charitable and important work all around the world.

Like pretty much every other existent bureaucratic system in the world, the people making the difference within the UN are the hard workers and individuals at the base level, not the select hundred diplomats at the very top that you'll see participating in high level discussions like the commission on the status of women. Should the entirety of the United States Government and all government employees be considered "a waste" or "a joke" because congress is horrible at getting things done? No, just congress should be. That's the essence of the situation.

You do carry a fair point, though. I participate in Model UN assemblies throughout North America and, even with young people vehemently and stubbornly depending the views of countries like Iran and Pakistan or even with people *from* those countries participating, we still come up with more comprehensive resolutions than the actual UN does (which is usually none)
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:25:37 AM
At 3/21/2015 8:49:30 AM, Daltonian wrote:

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

That's because a large part of the entire platform has become a political playground rather than its originally intended purpose, a diplomatic institution dedicated to solving world issues and preserving peace.

That being said, the UN as a whole is definitely not a waste of space, and it is not purposeless. These councils and assemblies - a lot of which are indeed a waste of time - do not constitute the UN in its entirety. There are branch organizations of the United Nations, like UN Peacekeepers, International Lawyers and Doctors, etc that do a lot of charitable and important work all around the world.

Like pretty much every other existent bureaucratic system in the world, the people making the difference within the UN are the hard workers and individuals at the base level, not the select hundred diplomats at the very top that you'll see participating in high level discussions like the commission on the status of women. Should the entirety of the United States Government and all government employees be considered "a waste" or "a joke" because congress is horrible at getting things done? No, just congress should be. That's the essence of the situation.

You do carry a fair point, though. I participate in Model UN assemblies throughout North America and, even with young people vehemently and stubbornly depending the views of countries like Iran and Pakistan or even with people *from* those countries participating, we still come up with more comprehensive resolutions than the actual UN does (which is usually none)

You could easily take those useful parts (UNESCO, Peacekeepers, etc) could be stripped off and merged with better organizations like Interpol or something.

And Congress actually gets a lot done. It's a misunderstanding that it gets nothing done. They pass bills all the time, bills no one cares about. Bills people probably should care about. They only tune in when the media tells them to.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:34:05 AM
At 3/21/2015 9:25:37 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

You could easily take those useful parts (UNESCO, Peacekeepers, etc) could be stripped off and merged with better organizations like Interpol or something.
But would it really be worth it to change the essence of the organization and its namesake, and to devote all of that funding to major organizational changes, just because they are loosely associated to parts of the UN that don't function well?

There are more people working for UN organizations like the Peacekeepers or UNESCO to an exponentially higher level than there are participants in things like these commissions. The failure of the few doesn't justify the larger punishment of the many people who are part of the UN and doing good in the world. Just fix or reform the problematic part of the UN and move on (easier said that done, but inevitably necessary).

And Congress actually gets a lot done. It's a misunderstanding that it gets nothing done. They pass bills all the time, bills no one cares about. Bills people probably should care about. They only tune in when the media tells them to.
In contrast to the amount they've gotten done in the past, I might be inclined to disagree. It might entirely depend on how partisan congress is feeling at any given point, though.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:37:26 AM
At 3/21/2015 9:34:05 AM, Daltonian wrote:
At 3/21/2015 9:25:37 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

But would it really be worth it to change the essence of the organization and its namesake, and to devote all of that funding to major organizational changes, just because they are loosely associated to parts of the UN that don't function well?

There are more people working for UN organizations like the Peacekeepers or UNESCO to an exponentially higher level than there are participants in things like these commissions. The failure of the few doesn't justify the larger punishment of the many people who are part of the UN and doing good in the world. Just fix or reform the problematic part of the UN and move on (easier said that done, but inevitably necessary).

In contrast to the amount they've gotten done in the past, I might be inclined to disagree. It might entirely depend on how partisan congress is feeling at any given point, though.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. This Congress has gotten plenty done. Financial reform, banking reform, healthcare reform, budgets passed, regulations galore.

These are all the bills passed by the 113th Congress.
http://www.congress-summary.com...

Like I said, its a complete media fabrication.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:23:16 AM
At 3/21/2015 9:37:26 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. This Congress has gotten plenty done. Financial reform, banking reform, healthcare reform, budgets passed, regulations galore.

These are all the bills passed by the 113th Congress.
http://www.congress-summary.com...

Like I said, its a complete media fabrication.
Just because congress is passing "plenty" of bills doesn't mean that they're doing as much as historically deemed sufficient, or how many their predecessors did.

http://www.washingtonpost.com...
http://www.brennancenter.org...
http://i1291.photobucket.com...

Now, the argument could certainly be made that the numerical number of bills congress has successfully passed isn't reflective of their success. That could be argued under the mindset that each bill later congresses have passed, on balance, have had more substance. I'm not sure how true that is, though.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:53:22 AM
s made up of 45 elector states. Let's look and see what kind of nations are on the Commission...

China

The Chinese government has done much work to promote equality of the sexes in recent years. They've already passed a law to ensure equal wages and against the abandonment of female babies. I don't know how well these are enforced, but it's certainly better to be a woman in China than in the Middle East.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:58:53 AM
At 3/21/2015 11:53:22 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

China

The Chinese government has done much work to promote equality of the sexes in recent years. They've already passed a law to ensure equal wages and against the abandonment of female babies. I don't know how well these are enforced, but it's certainly better to be a woman in China than in the Middle East.

Or China, where female babies are killed on a regular basis to enforce a male bias?

I'm not sure if I've misunderstood your statement, but it sounds like you said female babies are killed institutionally to ensure imbalanced demographics. The government does not kill female babies for the purpose of making sure there are more males (although there are government officials who kill second-borns, regardless of gender, to ensure adherence to the one-child policy); what happens is that people abandon female babies because of the family planning policy. China has already passed laws to curb the trend - a male-dominant demographic has never been beneficial for the country.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 12:16:44 PM
I agree with just about everything said in this thread.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 12:33:40 PM

What?

Iran
China
Cuba
Congo
Ghana
India
Russia
Sudan
Uganda
Thailand
Georgia

Unfortunately for Israel, there are a lot of intellectually dishonest people out there who actually use the UN and international law as a valid source to condemn Israel with, and further actually believe that its an organization that is truly committed to upholding human rights.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 12:58:23 PM
At 3/21/2015 11:58:53 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 3/21/2015 11:53:22 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

China

Or China, where female babies are killed on a regular basis to enforce a male bias?

I'm not sure if I've misunderstood your statement, but it sounds like you said female babies are killed institutionally to ensure imbalanced demographics. The government does not kill female babies for the purpose of making sure there are more males (although there are government officials who kill second-borns, regardless of gender, to ensure adherence to the one-child policy); what happens is that people abandon female babies because of the family planning policy. China has already passed laws to curb the trend - a male-dominant demographic has never been beneficial for the country.

It's not government enforced... its socially institutionalized.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:24:41 PM

I don't think so. I don't think UN commissions rank countries like that. Here's what one news source says they said:

"The resolution stressed the quest for equality and reaffirmed "that the Israeli occupation remains the major obstacle for Palestinian women with regard to their advancement, self-reliance and integration in the development of their society." It called on the international community to continue providing urgently needed assistance and services "to alleviate the dire humanitarian crisis being faced by Palestinian women and their families."

It also condemned last summer's Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Gaza which killed and injured thousands of civilians including hundreds of Palestinian women and girls."

http://abcnews.go.com...

There's nothing there about Israel being the worst country in the world, although it is a strong statement against the occupation. It would be interesting to see what other resolutions the commission has passed. Do you have a link for the actual resolutions? Because I haven't been able to find it.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 10:40:24 PM
At 3/21/2015 9:24:41 PM, Garbanza wrote:

I don't think so. I don't think UN commissions rank countries like that. Here's what one news source says they said:

"The resolution stressed the quest for equality and reaffirmed "that the Israeli occupation remains the major obstacle for Palestinian women with regard to their advancement, self-reliance and integration in the development of their society." It called on the international community to continue providing urgently needed assistance and services "to alleviate the dire humanitarian crisis being faced by Palestinian women and their families."

It also condemned last summer's Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Gaza which killed and injured thousands of civilians including hundreds of Palestinian women and girls."

There's nothing there about Israel being the worst country in the world, although it is a strong statement against the occupation. It would be interesting to see what other resolutions the commission has passed. Do you have a link for the actual resolutions? Because I haven't been able to find it.

Multiple, multiple sources has it saying they were labeled the #1 worst offender of women's rights.
http://www.iwf.org...
https://www.ijreview.com...
Need I go on?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 10:41:08 PM

It's not a resolution... It was the findings of the March 20th meeting of the commission on women's rights.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 10:51:44 PM
At 3/21/2015 10:41:08 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

It's not a resolution... It was the findings of the March 20th meeting of the commission on women's rights.

I will grant you that calling Israel the worst on women's rights when a place like Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan or any country in Africa that practices female circumcision exists is sort of one of those things where the judgement is more condemning of the judge than the subject of the judgement itself.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:02:04 PM

I've found this draft resolution. I'm not sure if the wording was changed before it was passed.

http://unispal.un.org...

There's nothing here about Israel being the worst country in the world on women's rights although there's a strong statement about the occupation and its effect on women's and girls' well-being. There's nothing ranking and comparative at all.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:03:55 PM
At 3/21/2015 10:51:44 PM, YYW wrote:

I will grant you that calling Israel the worst on women's rights when a place like Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan or any country in Africa that practices female circumcision exists is sort of one of those things where the judgement is more condemning of the judge than the subject of the judgement itself.

It's just something made up by the media. The commission never said that, of course.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:08:16 PM

Here's the 20th March press release. There's nothing about it on there. Do you mean another document? It would be good if you could put a link if you do meant that.

http://www.unwomen.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:11:10 PM
At 3/21/2015 11:03:55 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 3/21/2015 10:51:44 PM, YYW wrote:

It's just something made up by the media. The commission never said that, of course.

I'd have been really surprised if it did...

What country did the UN decide had the worst record on women's rights?
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:12:46 PM
At 3/21/2015 11:11:10 PM, YYW wrote:

I don't think they ever make those sorts of comparisons. What would be the point?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 11:14:39 PM
At 3/21/2015 11:12:46 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 3/21/2015 11:11:10 PM, YYW wrote:

I don't think they ever make those sorts of comparisons. What would be the point?

Idk... there are all kinds of UN commissions on all kinds of things... but when a UN commission publishes a report, it's usually viewable online. I'd like to see the report in question here... because I really am skeptical.