Jump to topic:

Ted Cruz announces presidential run

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 8:01:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Not my first choice, but he's popular among the base and also is a good enough orator (was a champion debater at Princeton).

Of course, the Ted Cruz birthers won't stop saying he can't run for President because he was born in Canada. Not the best image given how vehemently the left hates Obama birthers. I thought there was an agreement that line of attack was a bad idea?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:13:32 AM
People will cry about his birthplace. Who cares really. He is allowed to run based upon his parents. Even assuming Obama is Keynyan--which he is not--he is still a 'natural' born citizen. He has a 'murican mother.

I prefer Santorum and Jeb. :p
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:25:16 AM
At 3/23/2015 8:01:34 AM, TN05 wrote:
Not my first choice, but he's popular among the base and also is a good enough orator (was a champion debater at Princeton).

I don't care about his oral sex skills, but I do support his run. I'll either vote for him or Paul in the primaries.

Of course, the Ted Cruz birthers won't stop saying he can't run for President because he was born in Canada. Not the best image given how vehemently the left hates Obama birthers. I thought there was an agreement that line of attack was a bad idea?
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:38:40 AM

He grew up in the US, his mom was born in Delaware, and legal scholars seem to agree that his birthplace won't be a problem (it all depends on how you interpret it). The SCOTUS hasn't weighed in so I think he has a green light.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:41:05 AM
At 3/23/2015 9:38:40 AM, Varrack wrote:

He grew up in the US, his mom was born in Delaware, and legal scholars seem to agree that his birthplace won't be a problem (it all depends on how you interpret it). The SCOTUS hasn't weighed in so I think he has a green light.

That is my take also. Legal scholars seem to agree, but I think the Supreme Court might be overrun with activist judges who disagree.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:49:05 AM
At 3/23/2015 9:41:05 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 3/23/2015 9:38:40 AM, Varrack wrote:

That is my take also. Legal scholars seem to agree, but I think the Supreme Court might be overrun with activist judges who disagree.

I hope that's not the case. He seems like a guy with guts.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:57:22 AM
At 3/23/2015 9:13:32 AM, 16kadams wrote:
People will cry about his birthplace. Who cares really. He is allowed to run based upon his parents. Even assuming Obama is Keynyan--which he is not--he is still a 'natural' born citizen. He has a 'murican mother.

I prefer Santorum and Jeb. :P

I'd prefer Scott Walker, personally.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:59:37 AM
At 3/23/2015 9:57:22 AM, TN05 wrote:

The guy who refuses to answer media questions when the Obama "love your country" thing was going on? I mean sure, I like his politics more, but he doesn't seem good with the media asking him the dumb questions, and he needs to know how to handle it.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:00:51 AM
At 3/23/2015 9:59:37 AM, 16kadams wrote:

The guy who refuses to answer media questions when the Obama "love your country" thing was going on? I mean sure, I like his politics more, but he doesn't seem good with the media asking him the dumb questions, and he needs to know how to handle it.

ugh but Jeb is so awful. He was a decent governor but anyone who says they can win the nomination without the conservatives pisses me off. Why even say that? It's so dismissive and disrespectful of a significant part of your base.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:14:21 AM
At 3/23/2015 10:00:51 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

ugh but Jeb is so awful. He was a decent governor but anyone who says they can win the nomination without the conservatives pisses me off. Why even say that? It's so dismissive and disrespectful of a significant part of your base.

Bro you know how extremist I am and I like him. I dunno what it is, but I like him more than the rest. I am being the Obama voter in the primaries: vote for him because he seems cool :P. Nah I dunno I like Jeb.

I mean, Conservatives should love this guy. He was literally the best governor when he was there and also considered the most conservative. Save for amnesty and common core, he is a hard-line conservative--and even I support amnesty now, we have no plan to deport 11 million people. Secure the border, let the 11 million people stay (except criminals, of course), and review the evidence in regards to amnesty to future immigrants. His views make sense honestly.

And of course I like Santorum again if he runs ;D
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:16:17 AM
At 3/23/2015 10:14:21 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Bro you know how extremist I am and I like him. I dunno what it is, but I like him more than the rest. I am being the Obama voter in the primaries: vote for him because he seems cool :P. Nah I dunno I like Jeb.

I mean, Conservatives should love this guy. He was literally the best governor when he was there and also considered the most conservative. Save for amnesty and common core, he is a hard-line conservative--and even I support amnesty now, we have no plan to deport 11 million people. Secure the border, let the 11 million people stay (except criminals, of course), and review the evidence in regards to amnesty to future immigrants. His views make sense honestly.

He's a political chameleon. Him and Clinton are just in it for the power and prestige or they'd get out of the way. Their time has passed. Time for a new generation of politics.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:20:21 AM
At 3/23/2015 10:16:17 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/23/2015 10:14:21 AM, 16kadams wrote:

He's a political chameleon. Him and Clinton are just in it for the power and prestige or they'd get out of the way. Their time has passed. Time for a new generation of politics.

lol, pretty sure anyone who runs for president is in it for power. They all genuine want to help the country but, come on, most powerful man on earth? Hell yeah!
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:24:40 AM
At 3/23/2015 9:57:40 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
His announcement speech was really good. I didn't know he was such a good orator.

Let the games begin.

He was a debate champion at Princeton.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 1:16:23 PM

I would question if the loud, vocal minority of the far, far right actually represent the Republican "bsse".
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 2:26:01 PM

Blech!!
Even when I was anti-gay marriage, I couldn't stand Santorum. I don't trust him or like him. Why do you?
My work here is, finally, done.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 2:36:37 PM
Ted Cruz isn't that far of a cry away from most of the major Republicans in the news anyway--even for as much as Cruz would like for us to believe.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 3:05:46 PM
At 3/23/2015 2:36:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Ted Cruz isn't that far of a cry away from most of the major Republicans in the news anyway--even for as much as Cruz would like for us to believe.

Yeah but he's at least unabashedly conservative. Someone needs to be and he's better than the recent conservatives who have tried to run in recent years because of his skill set.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 3:10:08 PM

^

I don't like Santorum by any standard, but if I had to choose a Republican candidate, I'd take Jeb.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 3:17:11 PM
At 3/23/2015 3:05:46 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Yeah but he's at least unabashedly conservative. Someone needs to be and he's better than the recent conservatives who have tried to run in recent years because of his skill set.

Why should we have an "unabashed conservative" in office in the first place? It would seem that, apart from whether or not you agree with conservatism, the Republicans, in my assessment, just can't afford the same brand of conservatism that it's always been peddling. It just doesn't really work, especially considering the fact that the old guard, the baby boomers, etc, are all starting to lose relevance politically, and just literally die.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 3:17:13 PM
At 3/23/2015 3:10:08 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

^

I don't like Santorum by any standard, but if I had to choose a Republican candidate, I'd take Jeb.

Santorum won't make any inroads this election cycle. Don't worry about it.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 3:18:03 PM
At 3/23/2015 3:17:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Why should we have an "unabashed conservative" in office in the first place? It would seem that, apart from whether or not you agree with conservatism, the Republicans, in my assessment, just can't afford the same brand of conservatism that it's always been peddling. It just doesn't really work, especially considering the fact that the old guard, the baby boomers, etc, are all starting to lose relevance politically, and just literally die.

I never said he had to be in office, I said he's a good foil for the party and better than the recent hardline conservative candidates.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 3:29:10 PM
At 3/23/2015 3:18:03 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/23/2015 3:17:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I never said he had to be in office, I said he's a good foil for the party and better than the recent hardline conservative candidates.

Maybe, but all the same, being a good foil is itself far away from being a good candidate in and of oneself.

Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 4:59:42 PM
http://www.nytimes.com...

The Republicans shouldn't even bother trying if they're going to be seriously considering nominating people like Ted Cruz and Rick Santorum. Neither of those two have a hope in hell at appealing to any political moderates, contrasted with other candidates.

He won't win anyway, though. The democrats would love it if he did, but he won't.

Jeb Bush is the best candidate for the GOP if they actually want to attempt to beat Hillary, imho.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 5:05:19 PM
.. what lol

Aren't those two on, like, total opposite ends of the GOP spectrum..
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 5:16:41 PM
At 3/23/2015 4:59:42 PM, Daltonian wrote:

The Republicans shouldn't even bother trying if they're going to be seriously considering nominating people like Ted Cruz and Rick Santorum. Neither of those two have a hope in hell at appealing to any political moderates, contrasted with other candidates.

He won't win anyway, though. The democrats would love it if he did, but he won't.

Jeb Bush is the best candidate for the GOP if they actually want to attempt to beat Hillary, imho.

If Obama could trounce weak candidates like McCain and Romney, pretty sure the bar will be as low to beat weak Hillary.

So funny to see that the Crony government lately can only field weak, atrophied candidates like a dying Roman Senate.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 5:24:15 PM
At 3/23/2015 5:16:41 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

If Obama could trounce weak candidates like McCain and Romney, pretty sure the bar will be as low to beat weak Hillary.
Hillary is polling 10+ points above all of them, as of right now.

So funny to see that the Crony government lately can only field weak, atrophied candidates like a dying Roman Senate.
I would actually consider voting for Jeb Bush over Hillary Clinton. If I could even vote in the election anyway, lol.

However, if I ever uttered, or even came close to uttering, the words "I might vote for Rick Santorum", I would ask you take a baseball bat, and brutally, savagely beat me with it until I am dead.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 5:25:08 PM
At 3/23/2015 5:13:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The real game of thrones!
Even the incest parts?
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 5:30:45 PM

You are right on the money. Ted Cruz is a niche candidate that evangelical christians will flock around, extreme social conservative where gov has right to regulate individual freedom in the name of morality and extreme fiscal conservative as far as fed gov with domestic policy but big fed gov when comes to military presence around the world.

The press will rip him apart despite him being an extremely intelligent person who can debate with a bit of charisma. The simple fact that he believes the Fed should be prosecuting Fed marijuana laws over the will of Colorado, Washington, and other states indicates he is filled with hypocrisy and is out of touch with the nation as a whole. The press will have a field day with him as they bring his radical views to the fore front.