Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Supreme Court upholds Wisconsin voter ID law

Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:53:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/23/2015 11:32:25 AM, TN05 wrote:
Big win for Scott Walker.

I think it was the state Supreme Court, since it seems to be appealed.
https://www.aclu.org...
My work here is, finally, done.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 12:11:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/23/2015 11:53:17 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/23/2015 11:32:25 AM, TN05 wrote:
Big win for Scott Walker.

I think it was the state Supreme Court, since it seems to be appealed.
https://www.aclu.org...

No, it was SCOTUS. They declined to review it, which upheld it (for reference, at least four justices must agree for a review). What the ACLU is doing is trying to stay the law from taking effect, ostensibly because some areas have already begun primaries and elections, and it isn't allowed for a new law to be imposed weeks before elections, and because some areas have already sent out ballots or allowed early voting.

Of course, they'll repeat this every year, by claiming it is impossible for it to ever take effect because 'x' election is going on. I don't think it will work.
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 1:12:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Voter ID laws make me pretty uncomfortable. Do I think it's that unreasonable to want identification for voting? No. Am I also 99% sure that the motives for passing these laws are cynical and political and designed with the intent to disenfranchise people? Yes. If I were a legislator, I would vote against laws like this even though I think demanding an ID is pretty reasonable.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 1:38:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/23/2015 1:12:42 PM, thett3 wrote:
Voter ID laws actually make me pretty uncomfortable. Do I think it's that unreasonable to want identification for voting? No. Am I also 99% sure that the motives for passing these laws are cynical and political and designed with the intent to disenfranchise people? Yes. If I were a legislator, I would vote against laws like this even though I think demanding an ID is pretty reasonable.

I agree, but disagree with your stance.
When MN tried to pass the law, it provided for free state IDs, which was stupid but necessary via the poll tax argument (which I disagree with). At worst, this would affect 10% of the population, I think was the stat, but IIRC, the majority of them had expired/incorrect IDs, and by law, needed to renew them anyway.
Further, if I need to have an ID to buy medicine for my wife (Dayquil), I don't see why someone shouldn't have to have an ID to vote on some idiot who would pass such a law.

Also, I am not sure how this is supposed to help any side win. To my knowledge, this law affects three main groups:
1. Elderly, who generally vote GOP (at least, that's what I've always been told), so, this shoots the GOP in the foot.
2. The poor, generally DFL, but to my knowledge, don't vote much.
3. College kids, who also don't vote much.

To me, it seems the effect is close to a wash.

On the other side of the issue is the fraud, which I don't know how big of an issue it is. In my state, fraud is really easy to commit, if one were so inclined, but I do not know how rampant it is. But, when two of our major elections were settled by a slim margin recently (312 for US Senator, and, 8,840 for governor), both the fraud prevention and the disenfranchisement are of concerns.

Frankly, if I were a politician, I would not care why the law was being passed, but pass it on its merit, and I feel that if you can't be responsible to be prepared to vote, you should not vote.
My work here is, finally, done.