Same sex couples have the right to get marrie

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:29:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/23/2015 8:56:22 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
If you don't like same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex.

I agree; God gave human beings free will to do that which is sinful. They do indeed have a right to get married, as it hurts no person.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:05:01 PM
At 3/23/2015 9:29:15 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I agree; God gave human beings free will to do that which is sinful. They do indeed have a right to get married, as it hurts no person.

Same sex marriage is not a sin. That is a bigoted thing to say. I have included in my signature a websitee that proves it. The antigay position is a religious idea that has no place dictating the law.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:07:57 PM
At 3/23/2015 10:05:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Same sex marriage is not a sin. That is a bigoted thing to say. I have included in my signature a websitee that proves it. The antigay position is a religious idea that has no place dictating the law.

You heard nothing that I said, did you? Read it again, please. What I said was that God gave human beings free will, and thus behavior which doesn't harm others should be allowed.
But yes, homosexuality is sinful according to the Bible. And no, it is not by default bigoted to believe this.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:00:14 PM

Marriage in and of itself is not a right, for any couple of any sex. Why? Because rights have to be inalienable. Marriage cannot be a right because if no one agrees to marry you, you can't get married. That disqualifies marriage from being a right because it is dependent on others for it to come to fruition, which is basically the exact opposite of a true right.

http://www.dailyfreethinker.com...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:01:09 PM
At 3/23/2015 11:00:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Marriage in and of itself is not a right, for any couple of any sex. Why? Because rights have to be inalienable. Marriage cannot be a right because if no one agrees to marry you, you can't get married. That disqualifies marriage from being a right because it is dependent on others for it to come to fruition, which is basically the exact opposite of a true right.

That being said it can still be a civil privilege or a protected contract or agreement in which there are less valid excuses for blocking homosexuals from entering into one.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:09:47 PM

Yes it is. Same sex couples have the same rights as other people. You have no right to force your religious opinion on other people. If you have a problem with gays, don't marry a gay.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:11:00 PM
At 3/23/2015 11:09:47 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Yes it is. Same sex couples have the same rights as other people. You have no right to force your religious opinion on other people. If you have a problem with gays, don't marry a gay.

Did you even read what I wrote? It's not about religion in the slightest. Marriage isn't a right because it doesn't fit the classical definition of a right. Religion has no part of it. The state can grant marriages to whoever it wants.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:11:58 PM
At 3/23/2015 11:01:09 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

That being said it can still be a civil privilege or a protected contract or agreement in which there are less valid excuses for blocking homosexuals from entering into one.

Thank you for being a reasonable conservative. :)
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:13:09 PM
At 3/23/2015 11:11:58 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Conservatives get bogged down in stupid social issues. Social issues at most should be settled at the state level but honestly they should abandon the issue completely and stick to economics, foreign policy and size of government almost exclusively.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:20:44 PM
At 3/23/2015 11:13:09 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/23/2015 11:11:58 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

I agree.

Conservatives get bogged down in stupid social issues. Social issues at most should be settled at the state level but honestly they should abandon the issue completely and stick to economics, foreign policy and size of government almost exclusively.

I agree.
Lupo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 6:38:03 AM
I'm not against same sex marriage, but I hate this type of argument.

By your logic, if you are against pedophilia, just don't have sex with kids, our if you are against rape, just don't rape.

Gay people have the right to marriage because they are two adults,aware of their actions, without causing harm to others.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:22:11 AM

I wish Democrats thought that way with everything.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:23:28 AM

What part was religious?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:25:31 AM
At 3/24/2015 6:38:03 AM, Lupo wrote:

By your logic, if you are against pedophilia, just don't have sex with kids, our if you are against rape, just don't rape.

Gay people have the right to marriage because they are two adults,aware of their actions, without causing harm to others.

Not the same. It violates the principle of do what though wilt, so long as it harms no other.
Lupo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:36:56 AM
At 3/24/2015 7:25:31 AM, Wylted wrote:

Not the same. It violates the principle of do what though wilt, so long as it harms no other.

Yes, but it isn't in his argument.
The argument is that "if you don't agree with something, don't do it"
So I don't agree when someone uses it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:40:30 AM
At 3/24/2015 7:36:56 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 3/24/2015 7:25:31 AM, Wylted wrote:

Yes, but it isn't in his argument.
The argument is that "if you don't agree with something, don't do it"
So I don't agree when someone uses it.

Okay, but I think when people say it, they mean what I stated.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 9:00:36 AM

Very much agree.
My work here is, finally, done.
Lupo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 9:12:01 AM
I think marriage is a ritual, not something to have a government permission.
If the ritual in your religion is only between heterosexuals, do in your church .
Inheritance, marriage privileges and etc, are just issues in a simple contract between the people involved.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 9:34:15 AM
At 3/24/2015 9:22:38 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
Can a Scottish liberal be anti gay marriage?

Uh, yeah. Any ideology can have views differing from the ideology but still identify with the group, lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 9:34:39 AM

lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:48:11 PM
At 3/23/2015 11:11:00 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Did you even read what I wrote? It's not about religion in the slightest. Marriage isn't a right because it doesn't fit the classical definition of a right. Religion has no part of it. The state can grant marriages to whoever it wants.

Well, SCOTUS disagrees with you, and has ruled it is "a basic human right " in several decisions. No personal offense, but I trust SCOTUS more than I do you.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:16:52 PM
At 3/24/2015 12:48:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 3/23/2015 11:11:00 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Well, SCOTUS disagrees with you, and has ruled it is "a basic human right " in several decisions. No personal offense, but I trust SCOTUS more than I do you.

Source?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:23:28 PM

Marriage is a right. http://www.afer.org...

By your logic free speech isn't a right because China alienates it.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:27:48 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:23:28 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

No that is a complete strawman. Rights cannot be determinant on others for them to be fulfilled. For example, free speech is not only free if someone is listening. And China is a rights violator not a rights destroyer.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:30:28 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:27:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

No that is a complete strawman. Rights cannot be determinant on others for them to be fulfilled. For example, free speech is not only free if someone is listening. And China is a rights violator not a rights destroyer.

Who grants rights? Aldo you ignored the first part where the right to marriage is shown to exist under US law.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 2:04:10 PM
At 3/24/2015 9:34:15 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/24/2015 9:22:38 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
Can a Scottish liberal be anti gay marriage?

Uh, yeah. Any ideology can have views differing from the ideology but still identify with the group, lol

You don't understand. Liberals can be pro life
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 2:30:00 PM

LiberalProfiler: If you don't like same-religion marriage, don't marry someone of the same religion.

Vox_Veritas: I agree; God gave human beings free will to do that which is sinful. They do indeed have a right to get married, as it hurts no person.
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 3:01:36 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:30:28 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 3/24/2015 1:27:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Who grants rights? Aldo you ignored the first part where the right to marriage is shown to exist under US law.

God grants rights.
Right is a misnomer in that case, of course the ability to marry appears under US law. It should be a protected civil privilege but not a right.