Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:07:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/22/2010 7:00:46 PM, comoncents wrote:
Who is for it?

Who is against it?

Why?

Should there be an amendment against it?

I'm for it because it doesn't really hurt anything and can be used to send a message.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:07:45 PM
Who is for it?

I'm not "for" it, but I'm not going to stop someone from doing it (except in obvious circumstances, ie. someone charges at me with a burning flag in hand).

Who is against it?

Idio... people.

Why?

It's freedom of expression and speech. So long as, you know, it doesn't start of a huge chain of fires that spread to homes, businesses and people, how and why should we stop them?

Something that small? How often are flags burned exactly?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:10:55 PM
At 7/22/2010 7:07:31 PM, lovelife wrote:
Who is for it?

Who is against it?

Why?

I'm for it because it doesn't really hurt anything and can be used to send a message.

Is it wrong that when I see it I feel hurt?
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:13:04 PM
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:15:04 PM
At 7/22/2010 7:10:55 PM, comoncents wrote:

Morally it is, but what is your hurt compared to their passions? Most people will respect who you are as a soldier, and what you've done - so why let flag burners get to you? They're mostly protesting government, not individuals.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:21:54 PM
At 7/22/2010 7:15:04 PM, Volkov wrote:

Morally it is, but what is your hurt compared to their passions? Most people will respect who you are as a soldier, and what you've done - so why let flag burners get to you? They're mostly protesting government, not individuals.

I know, but it hurts.

It motivated me to push on in the worst times; my life could have turn out differently if it were not for the motivation the flag gave to me.

Call me dumb, but it is weird how I feel towards it.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:22:29 PM
At 7/22/2010 7:07:45 PM, Volkov wrote:

Something that small? How often are flags burned exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org...
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 8:02:33 PM
Isn't flag desecration already illegal in the US?? (http://www.cbc.ca...)

In either case, I hate it. I wouldn't go so far as to want to make it a criminal offense, what with freedom of expression and all, but it would bother the hell out of me to see a Canadian flag being burned or intentionally desecrated in some way. If I ever see it in person, I just may reach for the nearest baseball bat (or hockey stick :P )

Protesting the government and its policies is one thing, but to me, flag-burning says that you hate the country as whole and not just the government. And quite frankly, I'm of the opinion that if you hate the country you're in, you should just get the fvck out.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 8:21:59 PM
I think John Stossel put it best when he said, "I'm allowed to burn this flag, but I don't want to... because I'm allowed to."

I'll hate the flag burners as much as any patriot, despite the fact that I'm a secessionist, but I wouldn't want to make it a criminal offense. Unless, of course, somebody sets a forest on fire using the flag.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 8:32:06 PM
At 7/22/2010 7:07:31 PM, lovelife wrote:
Who is for it?

Who is against it?

Why?

Flag burning is not meant to hurt an individual but to show the government that you do not want to have anything to do with something they are doing. I am against war so if the government decided to start a war with some little peaceful place for like no reason, I'm gunna do anything to protest it, short of violence.

It is never my intention to hurt, but I do want to be able to express myself and wish that freedom to others.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 8:42:38 PM
I don't see it as an efficient form of protest, but I don't see anything morally wrong with it if it poses no danger to others.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 10:53:40 PM
There are flag-burners, and there are also patriots. They are simple opposites; for every person who takes the pride to waive a flag in someone's face, there will be someone who wants to make them see it burned before them.

Flag-burners aren't burning "the country" when they burn the flag. I would say they are are mostly targeting their efforts towards younger people who have always had a Bible and a flag in their houses and who may not have ever considered there are different beliefs in the world. They are giving a big effyou to people who attach pride to the success of this country BUT DON'T GIVE A SH11 ABOUT ANYONE ELSE. Other than these two types of people, they really aren't addressing anyone IMO.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 5:51:09 AM
Who is for it?

Who is against it?

Why?

Should there be an amendment against it?:

I am against it in the sense that I personally find it childish and counterproductive, however, I think you should be allowed to do it if you want to -- provided it does not violate fire ordinances, of course.

Dissent is sometimes the most patriotic thing a citizen can do.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:37:12 PM
My fellow libertarians pretty much sum up my feelings on the issue. But with magic!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 7:54:18 PM
At 7/23/2010 5:51:09 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Who is for it?

Who is against it?

Why?

Should there be an amendment against it?:

I am against it in the sense that I personally find it childish and counterproductive, however, I think you should be allowed to do it if you want to -- provided it does not violate fire ordinances, of course.

Dissent is sometimes the most patriotic thing a citizen can do.

You get what I am saying.

comoncents wrote:
It is one of those things I hate, but allow in the name of Liberty.

You know what I mean?
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 12:52:29 PM
Who is for it?

Who is against it?

Why?

People should be allowed to do what they want to the flag. It has different meanings to different people. The federal government shyts on people everyday, yet we are expected to be politically correct.