Jump to topic:

Term limits?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 8:27:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Do you think that the President should be allowed to serve more then two terms?

Should the sepreme court have term limits?
Should they be voted in by the people instead of nominated by the President?

Do you like it for Congressmen and Senators?

I have been thinking about this recently and have concluded that I do not like term limits. I think that the people should vote their representatives in office as many times as they want, including Governors.

I think that the supreme court should stay the same. You vote the President in and leave it to his judgment to nominate a good Justice; if the Presidents fail then congress should be able to vote on it.

I would like to see representatives voted in every 2 years.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 9:11:36 PM
At 7/22/2010 8:27:23 PM, comoncents wrote:
Should the sepreme court have term limits?

I'd say 15 years sounds good.

I'd say voted in with a 3/4 majority by the senate.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 9:31:02 PM
At 7/22/2010 9:11:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Really, Matt? You think that Congress could come to that level of support, given the current political atmosphere? They can barely reach 60!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 10:26:45 PM
At 7/22/2010 9:31:02 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/22/2010 9:11:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Really, Matt? You think that Congress could come to that level of support, given the current political atmosphere? They can barely reach 60!

I'd say write in the constitution that they can't leave the premises of congress till they elect someone.

I don't like the idea of partisan judges...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 10:53:38 PM
At 7/22/2010 10:26:45 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I'd say write in the constitution that they can't leave the premises of congress till they elect someone.

That's cruel and unusual punishment - even for members of Congress. :P

And just to point out, it isn't a deterrent, either. If mildly conservative Ontario politicians can hole themselves up in Queen's Park over a tax reform that helps businesses for days at a time, I worry what Republicans will do.

Neither do I, but alas, making members of Congress hole up in Washington until they elect someone is not really going to solve the problem. Perhaps an advisory panel made up of non-partisan legislators, circuit judges and etc. could solve it
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 10:06:09 AM
At 7/22/2010 10:26:45 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

You don't like the idea, yet you would like to see them elected and subject to re-election? This would serve to make them much more partisan.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 10:13:14 AM

Yes. f we find a good president who the public likes, why should he not be able to serve until the public no longer wants him.

Should the sepreme [sic] court have term limits?

Absolutely not!

Absolutely not! This is one of the safeguards against the passions of the masses. Supreme Court Justices are not beholden to the people, so they can make decisions without taking into account the passing passions of the people.

No. I don't think there should be term limits for them either. Term limits would cause the quality of our representatives to decline. No one would be able to gain experience at the national level. Also, there are only so many good reps. If we limit their service, lower quality people would take their place.
sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 11:00:25 AM
At 7/23/2010 10:13:14 AM, JBlake wrote:

No. I don't think there should be term limits for them either. Term limits would cause the quality of our representatives to decline. No one would be able to gain experience at the national level. Also, there are only so many good reps. If we limit their service, lower quality people would take their place.

I don't think it can get any worse.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 11:05:37 AM
At 7/23/2010 11:00:25 AM, sal wrote:

I promise you that it can. :)

Our representatives are not all that bad. Most individual reps. have really high approval rates within their own constituency. It is congress as a whole that has a low approval rating. But these are men and women who have had years of experience with the law (law school, as lawyers, as representatives, &ct.). Do you really think that the average Joe down the street can do as well?
sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 11:27:31 AM
At 7/23/2010 11:05:37 AM, JBlake wrote:
At 7/23/2010 11:00:25 AM, sal wrote:

I promise you that it can. :)

Our representatives are not all that bad. Most individual reps. have really high approval rates within their own constituency. It is congress as a whole that has a low approval rating. But these are men and women who have had years of experience with the law (law school, as lawyers, as representatives, &ct.). Do you really think that the average Joe down the street can do as well?

They create the laws, they don't need experience to write new ones.
There are lawyers writing them.

All those seated on congressional committees don't necessarily have experience in that field.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 7:14:53 PM
At 7/23/2010 10:13:14 AM, JBlake wrote:

Yes. f we find a good president who the public likes, why should he not be able to serve until the public no longer wants him.

I agree. I do not mind it the way it is now but I would not mind if it changed.
But I also would like to see the President earn his primary.

Should the sepreme [sic] court have term limits?

Absolutely not!

I agree.

Absolutely not! This is one of the safeguards against the passions of the masses. Supreme Court Justices are not beholden to the people, so they can make decisions without taking into account the passing passions of the people.

100%

I agree.