Jump to topic:

Amanda Knox found not guilty

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 4:00:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
by Italy's highest court, avoiding a political contentious extradition issue.

Justice is finally served.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:14:37 PM
At 3/28/2015 4:00:51 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Wasn't this made known like 3 years ago?
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:18:18 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:14:37 PM, Lee001 wrote:

She was acquitted by an intermediate court of appeals a few years ago. But then another intermediate court overturned her acquittal, and it went to the Italian supreme court. If they found her guilty, Italy would have asked to have her extradited back to Italy, and the State Department would have had to decide whether to comply. That's a problem because in the United States, an acquittal on the underlying facts isn't appealable due to Double Jeapardy, and we're not supposed to extradite someone to a country when their justice system doesn't comply with our constitutional protections.

But yeah, the Italian supreme court only just handed down their verdict yesterday I believe.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:23:30 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:18:18 PM, bluesteel wrote:

She was acquitted by an intermediate court of appeals a few years ago. But then another intermediate court overturned her acquittal, and it went to the Italian supreme court. If they found her guilty, Italy would have asked to have her extradited back to Italy, and the State Department would have had to decide whether to comply. That's a problem because in the United States, an acquittal on the underlying facts isn't appealable due to Double Jeapardy, and we're not supposed to extradite someone to a country when their justice system doesn't comply with our constitutional protections.

But yeah, the Italian supreme court only just handed down their verdict yesterday I believe.

So let me get this straight...her case went into trial, then was overturned, then the overturning was overturned, then that decision was upheld, then that decision was reversed? Thank God our system prohibits double jeopardy, jeez.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:28:29 PM

Oh okay I see.

I don't understand though as to why it would be overturned to Italy since she's not originally from there. She only went there because she moved there with her boyfriend. So I don't understand as to why they are involved.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:31:01 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:23:30 PM, thett3 wrote:

So let me get this straight...her case went into trial, then was overturned, then the overturning was overturned, then that decision was upheld, then that decision was reversed? Thank God our system prohibits double jeopardy, jeez.

Yeah, Italian justice is weird. In the US, appellate courts can't re-review all the facts like that. But also in the US, her conviction would have been overturned years ago due to the coerced confession. The police made her go basically 48 hours without sleep. The cases in the US say that's a coerced confession.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:32:22 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:31:01 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 3/28/2015 5:23:30 PM, thett3 wrote:

Yeah, Italian justice is weird. In the US, appellate courts can't re-review all the facts like that. But also in the US, her conviction would have been overturned years ago due to the coerced confession. The police made her go basically 48 hours without sleep. The cases in the US say that's a coerced confession.

Basically a involuntary confession.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:34:52 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:28:29 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Oh okay I see.

I don't understand though as to why it would be overturned to Italy since she's not originally from there. She only went there because she moved there with her boyfriend. So I don't understand as to why they are involved.

Amanda Knox is an American. Her ex-boyfriend is Italian. Meredith Kercher (the victim) was from the UK. Amanda Knox and Meredith Kercher were in Italy as part of a foreign exchange program. The murder happened in Italy which is why the Italian courts are involved.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:38:39 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:34:52 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Oh okay I see.

Amanda Knox is an American. Her ex-boyfriend is Italian. Meredith Kercher (the victim) was from the UK. Amanda Knox and Meredith Kercher were in Italy as part of a foreign exchange program. The murder happened in Italy which is why the Italian courts are involved.

Oh gee, I got my cases mixed up. I'm thinking of a lady who killed her child.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:39:40 PM

You don't think she was guilty?
anything your heart desires
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:41:46 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:38:39 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Oh okay I see.

Casey Anthony. She was guilty as sin. This is really scary: the police investigators thought that her search engine was Yahoo, so they only checked her Yahoo search history and just found one vague search for chloroform. It turns out that she mostly used Google (like a normal person) and ran a search for "fool-proof suffocation," but the jury never heard that because the police never found that until after her acquittal.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:42:54 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:41:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Oh okay I see.

Casey Anthony. She was guilty as sin. This is really scary: the police investigators thought that her search engine was Yahoo, so they only checked her Yahoo search history and just found one vague search for chloroform. It turns out that she mostly used Google (like a normal person) and ran a search for "fool-proof suffocation," but the jury never heard that because the police never found that until after her acquittal.

Wow..

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:43:40 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:39:40 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:

There's no way she was guilty. No logical motive. And another suspect in custody whose DNA was found all over the victim and whose motive was burglary and/or rape.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:46:48 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:41:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Oh okay I see.

That is the reason I don't understand Florida. Those idiots seemed to cave to media attention and brought charges too soon. They should have just completely investigated that, and took their time bringing charges.

The same thing happened with George Zimmerman. It was obvious from the get go, that he would be acquitted, but they still rushed and brought charges. Sometimes it is better to wait indefinitely than to rush to charge somebody who is almost assuredly going to not be found guilty.
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:52:39 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:43:40 PM, bluesteel wrote:

There's no way she was guilty. No logical motive. And another suspect in custody whose DNA was found all over the victim and whose motive was burglary and/or rape.

Oh wait, I think I'm mixing up Amanda Knox with someone else...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:53:09 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:52:39 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:

Casey Anthony again?
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:56:48 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:53:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Casey Anthony again?

YES. that one.
is this a common mistake?
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 5:59:48 PM
At 3/28/2015 5:56:48 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:
At 3/28/2015 5:53:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Casey Anthony again?

YES. that one.
is this a common mistake?

To me yes, they look alike.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 8:33:28 PM
I was kind of surprised by this, given this is the same country that prosecuted scientists for not predicting an earthquake.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:13:34 AM
We can assume that while Amanda was in prison the Italians made a secret deal with her that she could get a new trial and go home if she will not write a book about her ordeal and then go on TV talk shows to promote the book.
She got a not guilty verdict and she went home.
After this they let her alone. But after a few months, she failed to make good on her promise and announced she had wrote a book and would be on TV. When this happened the Italians took back the acquittal. she had received.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:28:19 AM
The case of Casey Anthony is quite different than the story of Foxy Knoxy and the sex game gone wrong.
They proved that another man killed the victim while Ms. Knox was not there.
In Casey's case there was no proof that Ms. Anthony did not kill her daughter nor that anyone else did.
Amanda Knox has a personality that is the opposite of Casey's.