Jump to topic:

The Individualist-Collectivist

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 6:50:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
We are indeed individualists and collectivists. On the one hand, there are those who believe each of us should be an individualist, materialistically, being personally responsible for his, or her, physical needs, while on the other hand believing the individual is beholden to the collective in establishing moral and religious values. Conversely, there are people who believe the inverse is true, believing society as a whole has a responsibility to accommodate the materialistic, or physical, needs of each of its members, yet, in matters of the heart, the individual must find his, or her, own way.

Neither of these statements is an absolute; in fact, people for the most part see themselves as centrists or would like to think they have a tendency to gravitate towards the center.

Reality is a dynamic spectrum. The thoughts and moods of each of society's members are in constant states of flux, oscillating upon a dynamic scale. It is with these interactions society is animated, change is brought, and growth is therefore made possible. True fear is not found in one's ability to change his, or her, mind but in one's inability to do so. The murmuring creek brings life to the wilderness; the stagnant pond brings death.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 9:22:23 PM
At 3/28/2015 6:50:51 PM, s-anthony wrote:
We are indeed individualists and collectivists. On the one hand, there are those who believe each of us should be an individualist, materialistically, being personally responsible for his, or her, physical needs, while on the other hand believing the individual is beholden to the collective in establishing moral and religious values. Conversely, there are people who believe the inverse is true, believing society as a whole has a responsibility to accommodate the materialistic, or physical, needs of each of its members, yet, in matters of the heart, the individual must find his, or her, own way.

Neither of these statements is an absolute; in fact, people for the most part see themselves as centrists or would like to think they have a tendency to gravitate towards the center.
I don't identify with either of the statements nor with the idea of being a "centrist", so I don't see the point on this thread.
Reality is a dynamic spectrum. The thoughts and moods of each of society's members are in constant states of flux, oscillating upon a dynamic scale. It is with these interactions society is animated, change is brought, and growth is therefore made possible. True fear is not found in one's ability to change his, or her, mind but in one's inability to do so. The murmuring creek brings life to the wilderness; the stagnant pond brings death.

Uh... that's nice?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:10:24 PM
At 3/28/2015 9:22:23 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

I don't identify with either of the statements nor with the idea of being a "centrist", so I don't see the point on this thread.

So, you don't see yourself as either an individual or a member of society?

Uh... that's nice?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:11:17 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:10:24 PM, s-anthony wrote:

I see myself as an individual that does not get his morals from society...

Uh... that's nice?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:15:12 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:11:17 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

So, does that mean you have an individualist's view of morality?

Uh... that's nice?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:17:27 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:15:12 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 3/28/2015 11:11:17 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

So, does that mean you have an individualist's view of morality?
Yes, it would.

From your post, you seem to be putting forward two alternatives: you're an individualist in physical matters while a collectivist in spiritual matters, or you're a collectivist in physical matters while an individualist in spiritual matters. Am I misinterpreting you?

Uh... that's nice?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:25:57 PM
Yes, it would.

From your post, you seem to be putting forward two alternatives: you're an individualist in physical matters while a collectivist in spiritual matters, or you're a collectivist in physical matters while an individualist in spiritual matters. Am I misinterpreting you?

The statements are truly alternatives; however, I'm saying both alternatives apply to each of us.