Jump to topic:

Cory Booker

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 9:27:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Mayor Cory Booker of Newark, NJ plans to slash spending everywhere - including buying toilet paper. They (the government) is going to stop buying printer paper, washing windows, etc. Booker says he wants to keep the fiscal integrity strong and solid. He is forfeiting these things, he says, to prevent tax payers facing a cost of living increase that they just can't take right now. The unemployment rate is 15% in Newark yet some government job cuts are necessary; he says many cops will lose their jobs soon.

The interesting thing here is that Booker's a Democrat. His city council claims that him going to these lengths is ridiculous, and that he's just using this as a scare tactic to get them into voting something they voted against (I forgot what it was). What do you think? Is he being a responsible Democrat or is he just trying to further his own career/agenda? Maybe both.

Does anyone here know anything about Cory Booker? I do because I lived in Jersey for a bit, and he's a pretty popular guy in the NY area though I'm wondering if people have heard of him anywhere else. Pretty sure he's gonna run for Governor soon (thank god... I hate that new Republican schmuck) because I'm betting he's going to turn Newark around. Newark is one of the worst cities in Jersey lol better yet the entire east coast. I hate it.

After that I feel like Booker will aspire for more. I mean look at his background. He seems like he was BORN to be a politician lol like Obama (or better? worse?).

http://en.wikipedia.org...
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 9:36:34 AM
I don't know anything about Cory Booker, but it seems he is going a bit far. Cutting costs like that seems more like Potemkin cuts than anything substantial, though I suppose I don't know to the extent he is actually cutting these things. They're minor costs for a city that rakes in millions, and unless something more substantial comes out of this 'austerity' push, I wouldn't exactly be enamoured.

On a slightly related note, I met a man from New Jersey a while back during a canvass that said while Christie isn't fantastic, he's 10x better than Corzine was.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 9:44:37 AM
I know a lot about him. I lived in Ny for a while and he is a good guy. I shook his hand once when I was in Newark airport. He is a really nice guy that cares. I do not mind him as a democrat, I just wish he would move up so we can see his entire political stances.

Right now he is a great guy.

Also, my family lives in Newark. Some love him, some think he is bad news waiting to happen; but none will talk poorly of a guy that shovels snow for them in the winter.