Jump to topic:

Am I a liberal or a centrist?

LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:13:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I believe that healthcare is a right. I believe that contraception is a right. I believe that workers have the right to be paid with money and healthcare for their labor. I do not believe in sex changes. I am prolife. I oppose the death penalty. I oppose most wars. Taxation should be restricted to a 50% sales tax. Torture is wrong. Gay couples have the right to get married and adopt. Education is a right. Parents do not own their children. If two adults age 20 or older want to have sex, I have no problem with it. Cannabis should be legal and on demand.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:20:29 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:13:24 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I believe that healthcare is a right. I believe that contraception is a right. I believe that workers have the right to be paid with money and healthcare for their labor. I do not believe in sex changes. I am prolife. I oppose the death penalty. I oppose most wars. Taxation should be restricted to a 50% sales tax. Torture is wrong. Gay couples have the right to get married and adopt. Education is a right. Parents do not own their children. If two adults age 20 or older want to have sex, I have no problem with it. Cannabis should be legal and on demand.

Somewhat liberal, but I'm afraid to say centrist 'cause then you'll have to change your username again, lol.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:25:42 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:20:29 PM, Varrack wrote:

Somewhat liberal, but I'm afraid to say centrist 'cause then you'll have to change your username again, lol.

That would suck. I only agree with Republicans on abortion. Everything else I disagree with them on.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:27:06 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:25:42 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

That would suck. I only agree with Republicans on abortion. Everything else I disagree with them on.

Do you agree with them on not forcing people to pay for abortions even when they find it morally reprehensible?
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:31:21 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:27:06 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 3/28/2015 11:25:42 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Do you agree with them on not forcing people to pay for abortions even when they find it morally reprehensible?
The only time I support abortion is for the life of the mother or if the baby would die anyway. People should not be forced to pay for the murder of an unborn child. :)
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:50:35 PM
Taxation should be restricted to a 50% sales tax.

Whaaaaaat
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:53:45 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:50:35 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

Whaaaaaat
Stop trolling or leave.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 12:08:14 AM

Other than your stance on sex reassignment surgery and abortion, you're as Liberal as a stoned hippie.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 12:09:11 AM
At 3/28/2015 11:53:45 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Whaaaaaat
Stop trolling or leave.

I'm not trolling. If anything, advocating nothing but a 50% sales tax should be considered trolling. That is absolutely ludicrous
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 12:16:38 AM
At 3/29/2015 12:08:14 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Thank you. I just wanted to be sure. :)
Other than your stance on sex reassignment surgery and abortion, you're as Liberal as a stoned hippie.

Thank you. I just wanted to be sure.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 12:18:40 AM
At 3/29/2015 12:09:11 AM, ford_prefect wrote:

Whaaaaaat
Stop trolling or leave.

I'm not trolling. If anything, advocating nothing but a 50% sales tax should be considered trolling. That is absolutely ludicrous
Yes you ARE trolling. Answer the question or leave.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 12:24:27 AM
At 3/29/2015 12:18:40 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Whaaaaaat
Stop trolling or leave.

Damn... You got me, lol. Well played
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 12:29:42 AM
At 3/29/2015 12:24:27 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 3/29/2015 12:18:40 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Whaaaaaat
Stop trolling or leave.

Damn... You got me, lol. Well played

Yes or no: Are you going to answer my question?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 12:52:16 AM

Just because you support one policy on the "conservative" side doesn't mean you're a centrist. Centrists pick and grab a lot of things from both sides.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 1:00:07 AM
At 3/29/2015 12:52:16 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Just because you support one policy on the "conservative" side doesn't mean you're a centrist. Centrists pick and grab a lot of things from both sides.

So I'm a liberal?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 1:06:43 AM
At 3/29/2015 1:00:07 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

So I'm a liberal?

What does your username say? Yes, you're liberal.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 1:09:27 AM
At 3/29/2015 1:06:43 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

So I'm a liberal?

Thank you. I was having doubts.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 1:10:23 AM
At 3/29/2015 1:09:27 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

So I'm a liberal?

I don't know why. You seem to be obviously liberal.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 1:13:07 AM
At 3/29/2015 1:10:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 3/29/2015 1:09:27 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

So I'm a liberal?

I don't know why. You seem to be obviously liberal.
I struggle with doubt on a lot of things
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 6:30:04 AM
You don't know what you are. The game of identity politics that grownups play has infected you. You don't need to identify with a political party. You were just libertarian last month for god's sake. A libertarian that was surprisingly really big on pro government intrusions on liberty.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 6:41:12 AM
I believe that healthcare is a right.

What does that even mean? I think it is a right as a libertarian, but the way I mean it is a right, is that I believe the government shouldn't interfere with you getting healthcare, I assume you use the word right differently, maybe to mean the government should fund everybody's healthcare.

I believe that contraception is a right.

Me too, the government shouldn't interfere with you using it, but what the hell do you mean?

I believe that workers have the right to be paid with money and healthcare for their labor.

Doesn't everybody? Now you are just saying ridiculous stuff.

I do not believe in sex changes.

Cool, do you want them banned or something? I am against them as well, but since I am pro freedom and don't try to make my beliefs into law, and merely want a fair government, so I'd be against banning them.

I am prolife.

Liberals can't be prolife.

I oppose the death penalty.

Cool, I think I know what that means.

I oppose most wars.

Than why are you a Democrat? Do you know that Obama's foreign policy looks just like Bush's?

That is a pretty high sales tak and it doesn't seem very progressive either. Why do you support such a large and large scale theft of money?

Torture is wrong.

Remember that when you try to drag your boyfriend to a ballet.

Gay couples have the right to get married and adopt.

Dumb statement. It misunderstands the word right and says nothing about your opinion.

Education is a right.

I agree, but I think you are using the word "right" wrong as shown earlier.

Parents do not own their children.

Yes they do, unless you want the state to own them. They aren't old enough to have rights, so they are technically property until they come of age.

If two adults age 20 or older want to have sex, I have no problem with it.

What if they don't want to?

Cannabis should be legal and on demand.

On demand?
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 4:09:22 PM
At 3/29/2015 6:41:12 AM, Wylted wrote:
I believe that healthcare is a right.

What does that even mean? I think it is a right as a libertarian, but the way I mean it is a right, is that I believe the government shouldn't interfere with you getting healthcare, I assume you use the word right differently, maybe to mean the government should fund everybody's healthcare.

I believe that contraception is a right.

Me too, the government shouldn't interfere with you using it, but what the hell do you mean?

I believe that workers have the right to be paid with money and healthcare for their labor.

Doesn't everybody? Now you are just saying ridiculous stuff.

I do not believe in sex changes.

Cool, do you want them banned or something? I am against them as well, but since I am pro freedom and don't try to make my beliefs into law, and merely want a fair government, so I'd be against banning them.

I am prolife.

Liberals can't be prolife.

I oppose the death penalty.

Cool, I think I know what that means.

I oppose most wars.

Than why are you a Democrat? Do you know that Obama's foreign policy looks just like Bush's?

That is a pretty high sales tak and it doesn't seem very progressive either. Why do you support such a large and large scale theft of money?

Torture is wrong.

Remember that when you try to drag your boyfriend to a ballet.

Gay couples have the right to get married and adopt.

Dumb statement. It misunderstands the word right and says nothing about your opinion.

Education is a right.

I agree, but I think you are using the word "right" wrong as shown earlier.

Parents do not own their children.

Yes they do, unless you want the state to own them. They aren't old enough to have rights, so they are technically property until they come of age.

If two adults age 20 or older want to have sex, I have no problem with it.

What if they don't want to?

Cannabis should be legal and on demand.

On demand?
Healthcare is a right because people own their bodies.
Futurepresident2048
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 4:33:10 PM

You are not liberal or centrist, you are independent as you have views from liberals and clnservatives.
futurepresident2048
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 4:45:55 PM
At 3/29/2015 4:33:10 PM, Futurepresident2048 wrote:

You are not liberal or centrist, you are independent as you have views from liberals and clnservatives.

Thank you for helping me.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 5:06:51 PM
You are a liberal who has a couple of conservative stances, that does not make you a centrist. If you had to be supportive of every single liberal policy in order to be a liberal then there would be hardly any free-thinking liberals.

It applies to conservatives as well. I'm a conservative insofar as I support small government, oppose gay marriage and abortion etc... But I have liberal views pertaining to the death penalty and free healthcare. Yet I can still be conservative, to say otherwise would be to commit the no true Scotsman fallacy.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 6:41:27 PM

Yeah you;re a liberal, you just have an asterisk for your stance on abortion.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 6:54:07 PM
As far as the spectrum goes, you are pretty liberal and I think most would define you as such if they had to.

I think you should give up on the labels though... they serve no purpose unless you want to get on a specific mailing list.

In certain rooms people would call be a liberal, and in certain rooms I'd be called a conservative. I generally take almost every liberal position on social issues, while also being to the right of center on economic issues. If pressed enough it could probably be discovered that there's a social issue I'm on the right on, and an economic issue that I'm on the left on...

So what does this make me? (I suppose that could make me a libertarian to some)

More importantly, what difference does it make?

Argue each position individually, without forcing yourself into a particular ideological corner. Leave the labels for the label companies.
Debate.org Moderator