Jump to topic:

In Gov. Pence on ABC : Clarifying

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 9:48:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just watched the governor on ABC. George ask him 4 times for a yes or no answer to if the law would allow a florist to discriminate against a gay couple. 4 times the governor evaded and refused a direct answer. George also ask the governor 2 times for a yes or no answer as to whether it should be legal to discriminate against gay and lesbian people. Again the governor evaded and refused to answer.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 10:46:32 AM
I thought the governor was going on TV to "clarify ". The only clarification I saw was refusal to change the law. The rest of what I saw was evasion, dissembling, and obstinacy.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 10:38:23 PM
At 3/29/2015 9:48:20 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
Just watched the governor on ABC. George ask him 4 times for a yes or no answer to if the law would allow a florist to discriminate against a gay couple. 4 times the governor evaded and refused a direct answer. George also ask the governor 2 times for a yes or no answer as to whether it should be legal to discriminate against gay and lesbian people. Again the governor evaded and refused to answer.

Only watched the first few minutes. Typical politician evading narrowly focused questions, poorly.
I may be wrong here, but this is what I gathered:
1. The law does not change any current standing law (i.e. discrimination), so the issue isn't if this law allows the florist to refuse, but it sounds like they always have been able to. So, asking if the law allows it is irrelevant.
2. The question is not as simple as yes or no, since it protects religious freedoms of the individual. So, it wholly depends on the person and the reason. It is not gays getting married, it is being forced to abandon religious views via government laws. So, not serving a gay man who is sending flowers to his gay lover on Valentine's is not the same as catering a wedding. The law only applies to the latter.
3. The purpose of the law is not to allow discrimination of gays, but to protect the liberties of the business owner. It is a false dichotomy, so the question is unfair.

That being said, what I don't get is how this applies to gay weddings. Even if a florist is morally opposed to a gay wedding, if the ceremony is not religious, what is the objection? Does this same objection apply to refusing to cater a Hindu wedding? I don't really get the argument, since the religious view of the florist would be "this is wrong, but so is this religion", so where is the conflict?
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 10:58:30 PM
At 3/29/2015 9:48:20 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

http://www.rawstory.com...
Tsar of DDO