Jump to topic:

Why is politics the dirty word?

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:02:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Although I don't get into much it on this site, I am really into politics. I like talking to people face to face about what is going on in the world. But for some reason every time I or someone else brings up politics, we get hushed by someone else. They always say 'let's change the subject.' They then go on to talk about useless things such as a sale at the mall. I don't know if it is just in the south or what. I am not talking about just with Christians, but everywhere I go. I have been to countless activities this summer, and whenever the subjects of politics comes up, everyone gets uncomfortable. Especially when the name Obama comes up, heaven forbid they say something negative about Obama with a half black kid in the same room.
kfc
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:13:07 AM
At 7/24/2010 11:02:58 AM, Koopin wrote:
Although I don't get into much it on this site, I am really into politics. I like talking to people face to face about what is going on in the world. But for some reason every time I or someone else brings up politics, we get hushed by someone else. They always say 'let's change the subject.' They then go on to talk about useless things such as a sale at the mall. I don't know if it is just in the south or what. I am not talking about just with Christians, but everywhere I go. I have been to countless activities this summer, and whenever the subjects of politics comes up, everyone gets uncomfortable. Especially when the name Obama comes up, heaven forbid they say something negative about Obama with a half black kid in the same room.

I never heard that. Everywhere I go no matter whose around no one feels uncomfortable talking about politics. Politics sex sports religion anime/yaoi and history are like the only things anyone ever talks about.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:14:53 AM
Nobody really gives a sh*t about politics. And when they do they're a diehard Christian\Environmentalist nutcase oozing to take our social or economic freedoms away respectively.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:18:17 AM
At 7/24/2010 11:14:53 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Nobody really gives a sh*t about politics.

That's the thing I don't understand. Don't people want to think for themselves?
kfc
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:21:09 AM
At 7/24/2010 11:18:17 AM, Koopin wrote:

I do. I get in sh*t for it all the time too.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:21:47 AM
(koopin its a conspiracy, if you think for themselves, they will blow up every KFC nationwide)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:21:56 AM

No, not really. People are stupid. Most are not interested in politics, of those that are they soon come to realise that the political system underwhich they live is slow, corrupt and ineffectual and pretty much nothing to do with them.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:22:30 AM

1. adults who are around people they don't know well don't like to bring it up because they don't want to start an argument. no doubt it makes them uncomfortable.
2. teens are generally so idealistic that the whole process disgusts them. they are the most likely to hold views like "my vote makes no difference" or "its all about whoever has the most money anyways" or "all politicians are lying scumbags". not that i necessarily disagree with those sentiments (esp the last) but thats no barrier to discussing politics, esp in the abstract(ie the kind of discussion you'd find on DDO).
3. for all people, regardless of age, if they don't know much about politics or political theory they're not gonna wanna talk about it for fear of sounding stupid. since your peepz would rather talk about the mall i am guessing this one :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:24:51 AM

Not really. Most have other things on their minds which detract from politics. rather than an interest in Nascar that someone else has, you like politics. That's why the two party system exists: people have on of two choices for simplicity. They like one for various reasons, mainly that they grew up in a household which supported that ideology, and then change because they get peeved with their mainstay, and see the other as the only viable alternative.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:32:35 PM
At 7/24/2010 11:13:07 AM, lovelife wrote:

I never heard that. Everywhere I go no matter whose around no one feels uncomfortable talking about politics.

I find that they are uncomfortable because of knowledge gaps.
People around here will not talk to me. They do not understand what I say sometimes and the words are to big for some. At school people like it but are passionate and hate to see others as passionate about other stances.

Politics sex sports religion anime/yaoi and history are like the only things anyone ever talks about.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:34:00 PM
At 7/24/2010 12:32:35 PM, comoncents wrote:

Politics sex sports religion anime/yaoi and history are like the only things anyone ever talks about.

Do you know what Yaoi is?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:34:32 PM
I talk about politics quite a bit with one of my close friends and occasionally my mom. Other than that, I haven't really experienced people getting uncomfortable.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 1:03:16 PM
At 7/24/2010 12:34:00 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 7/24/2010 12:32:35 PM, comoncents wrote:

Do you know what Yaoi is?

Unfortunaltely. I was forced to watch some fan flash ones and read a romeo and juliet naruto versio one. I thought the original sucked. At least then it was two emo girls. And people actually died.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 1:04:31 PM
I don't like anime being used in that way, but I'd assume I'd prefer yuri. My friends say I haven't been in the dark side long enough and can't be exposed to it, until I accept a passion for yaoi that I do NOT have.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 1:05:05 PM
This really annoys me as well. I wish people were more interested. Especially people my age.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 1:07:55 PM
At 7/24/2010 1:05:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
This really annoys me as well. I wish people were more interested. Especially people my age.

Even at my age most people I know aren't interested.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 1:09:16 PM
At 7/24/2010 1:04:31 PM, lovelife wrote:
I don't like anime being used in that way, but I'd assume I'd prefer yuri. My friends say I haven't been in the dark side long enough and can't be exposed to it, until I accept a passion for yaoi that I do NOT have.

You have to accept man on man before you accept chick on chick?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 1:25:19 PM
At 7/24/2010 1:09:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 7/24/2010 1:04:31 PM, lovelife wrote:

You have to accept man on man before you accept chick on chick?

Apparently. They try to give me pairings to obsess about that make me go "wtf, I know its popular, but wtf I could never get into this..."

Such as Light and L, Sasuke and Naruto, Shadow and sonic (O.o) Matt and Mello, Near and L (pedo much...) etc.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 2:33:11 PM
At 7/24/2010 1:07:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

At my, age people do not know what the government is.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 4:50:49 PM
At 7/24/2010 2:33:11 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 7/24/2010 1:07:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

At my, age people do not know what the government is.

I think I like that age.
phill3006
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 6:04:44 PM

It's thought to be impolite since someone will inevitably disagree with someone, because there is NO WAY that you agree with anyone on every single issue without exception. If you're talking about politics or religion, you are thought to be looking for a debate or argument or a fight or all three.
Between close friends (or people who go to internet sites specifically for debating) it's not an issue.