Jump to topic:

What do Libertarians believe.

LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 11:49:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Libertarians are very credible, but I wanna know if they believe in helping the poor, and in healthcare rights. Can I be a Libertarian and think that healthcare is a right?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 6:55:19 AM
At 4/1/2015 11:49:25 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Libertarians are very credible, but I wanna know if they believe in helping the poor, and in healthcare rights. Can I be a Libertarian and think that healthcare is a right?

You need to work on your definition of the word right. I have no clue what you are talking about.

Libertarians will say they think healthcare is a right, but when they say it, they will mean something completely different than what a Democrat would mean when they say healthcare is a right?

Some libertarians believe in helping the poor, others don't. You have to be more specific. My belief is that there would be a smaller population of poor people in a libertarian form of government, and a basic minimum income, which is an ideal whose time has come in my opinion, would ensure no poor person starves and dies. With the BMI actually helping the poor more than the welfare program does, I guess you can say that Libertarians care more about the poor than Democrats.

If you want to learn the difference between Libertarianism, leftism and conservatism, than google each of those things and maybe read an article from the perspective of each POV everyday.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 4:50:04 PM
The most one can do to help the poor is to promote trade between poor countries and free migration between poor countries, which are both libertarian positions. In addition libertarianism also advocates policy that promote economic growth and competition, which benefit the poor.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 4:52:03 PM

If by helping the poor and healthcare rights, you mean government-sponsored, then no, libertarians don't support those.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 5:34:07 PM

Why do you care so much about labels?
Who cares what so-and-so group believes, because the person you talk to could be an outlier or mistaken themselves. I call myself a libertarian, but I'm sure others would not.
My work here is, finally, done.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 8:38:32 PM
At 4/2/2015 6:55:19 AM, Wylted wrote:

You need to work on your definition of the word right. I have no clue what you are talking about.

Libertarians will say they think healthcare is a right, but when they say it, they will mean something completely different than what a Democrat would mean when they say healthcare is a right?

Some libertarians believe in helping the poor, others don't. You have to be more specific. My belief is that there would be a smaller population of poor people in a libertarian form of government, and a basic minimum income, which is an ideal whose time has come in my opinion, would ensure no poor person starves and dies. With the BMI actually helping the poor more than the welfare program does, I guess you can say that Libertarians care more about the poor than Democrats.

If you want to learn the difference between Libertarianism, leftism and conservatism, than google each of those things and maybe read an article from the perspective of each POV everyday.

You need to debate the facts. I have been very clear about what I mean.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 8:39:43 PM
At 4/2/2015 4:50:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:
The most one can do to help the poor is to promote trade between poor countries and free migration between poor countries, which are both libertarian positions. In addition libertarianism also advocates policy that promote economic growth and competition, which benefit the poor.

I agree.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 8:41:32 PM

Thank you for helping me. :)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:02:09 PM
At 4/2/2015 8:41:32 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Also read the NY Times and WSJ opinion articles for opposing viewpoints
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:06:51 PM

In my view all political groups believe in helping the poor. The difference between conservatives and liberals (or libertarians) is not that one wants to help the poor and the other doesn't. The difference is in HOW they think it is best to help the poor.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:07:05 PM
At 4/2/2015 4:50:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Or

Or

All the rich people can give their money to the poor

Duhhhhhhhhhhh that won't harm anyone
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:13:10 PM
At 4/2/2015 9:06:51 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

In my view all political groups believe in helping the poor. The difference between conservatives and liberals (or libertarians) is not that one wants to help the poor and the other doesn't. The difference is in HOW they think it is best to help the poor.

Bryan Caplan likes to make the distinction between deserving and undeserving poor, and actually blames much of Americans for their own poverty, thus undeserving of charity.

http://econlog.econlib.org...

Open borders debate:
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:16:02 PM
At 4/2/2015 9:13:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 4/2/2015 9:06:51 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Bryan Caplan likes to make the distinction between deserving and undeserving poor, and actually blames much of Americans for their own poverty, thus undeserving of charity.

I don't need to follow those links because who is he to me?

Nobody.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:20:44 PM
You do have to define which right to health care.

A right for healthcare subsidized with taxes, usually people who have more wealth than you...

A right for cheap. quality healthcare ensured by the unrestricted access to competing insurance companies that work with you to hold doctors and hospitals accountable for the bang you get for your buck...

A right to have a bloated, crony government administer and oversee the distribution of health resources?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:20:44 PM
You do have to define which right to health care.

A right for healthcare subsidized with taxes, usually people who have more wealth than you...

A right for cheap. quality healthcare ensured by the unrestricted access to competing insurance companies that work with you to hold doctors and hospitals accountable for the bang you get for your buck...

A right to have a bloated, crony government administer and oversee the distribution of health resources?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 10:15:52 PM
At 4/2/2015 8:38:32 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

You need to debate the facts. I have been very clear about what I mean.

No you haven't, and I've specifically pointed out how in the post you've just responded to.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 10:44:30 PM
At 4/2/2015 9:02:09 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/2/2015 8:41:32 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Also read the NY Times and WSJ opinion articles for opposing viewpoints

Wil do.