Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Chinese Student Killed in Iowa

wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 11:05:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.cnn.com...

While the death is tragic, it's not why I am posting this article for discussion.

Apparently Iowa is a special place for Xi Jinping...it was the first place he stepped foot in America, and 10% of the enrollment of the university students are Chinese, which is an unusual amount especially given they are foreign exchange students.

It is also an interesting case study to see how Sino-American cooperation actually manifests in a domestic matter.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 12:00:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/3/2015 11:05:35 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
http://www.cnn.com...

While the death is tragic, it's not why I am posting this article for discussion.

Apparently Iowa is a special place for Xi Jinping...it was the first place he stepped foot in America, and 10% of the enrollment of the university students are Chinese, which is an unusual amount especially given they are foreign exchange students.

It is also an interesting case study to see how Sino-American cooperation actually manifests in a domestic matter.

If Li is tried in China, it will be a big test for China's judiciary as well, for his father works in the legal sector.

http://ll.uschinapress.com...

Unfortunately, given that guanxi still plays a huge role at the moment, I'm not optimistic that there will be justice for Shao (unless he is not tried in his native Wenzhou).
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 6:40:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/4/2015 12:00:21 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 4/3/2015 11:05:35 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
http://www.cnn.com...

While the death is tragic, it's not why I am posting this article for discussion.

Apparently Iowa is a special place for Xi Jinping...it was the first place he stepped foot in America, and 10% of the enrollment of the university students are Chinese, which is an unusual amount especially given they are foreign exchange students.

It is also an interesting case study to see how Sino-American cooperation actually manifests in a domestic matter.

If Li is tried in China, it will be a big test for China's judiciary as well, for his father works in the legal sector.

http://ll.uschinapress.com...

Unfortunately, given that guanxi still plays a huge role at the moment, I'm not optimistic that there will be justice for Shao (unless he is not tried in his native Wenzhou).

Well, if it doesn't work, such incidents would have a marked cooling effect on Sino-American cooperation at a very basic level I would think.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 9:19:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/4/2015 6:40:08 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 4/4/2015 12:00:21 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 4/3/2015 11:05:35 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
http://www.cnn.com...

While the death is tragic, it's not why I am posting this article for discussion.

Apparently Iowa is a special place for Xi Jinping...it was the first place he stepped foot in America, and 10% of the enrollment of the university students are Chinese, which is an unusual amount especially given they are foreign exchange students.

It is also an interesting case study to see how Sino-American cooperation actually manifests in a domestic matter.

If Li is tried in China, it will be a big test for China's judiciary as well, for his father works in the legal sector.

http://ll.uschinapress.com...

Unfortunately, given that guanxi still plays a huge role at the moment, I'm not optimistic that there will be justice for Shao (unless he is not tried in his native Wenzhou).

Well, if it doesn't work, such incidents would have a marked cooling effect on Sino-American cooperation at a very basic level I would think.

Considering the significance of Iowa, I'm sure Mr Xi would like Li tried and found guilty (since extradition is not an option according to the article), but we all know how difficult it is for the Central Government to rein in regional officials...

They don't necessarily have to find him innocent, however. The police could just conveniently not know where Li is. Then they wouldn't have to come up with an explanation or anything.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...