Total Posts:88|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How can I trust cops?

16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 8:49:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

Anecdotal evidence. The only way to be "safe" is to avoid doing illegal or suspicious things. Don't speed, do dumb sh!t, etc. Plus, I live in Albuquerque, and we have more police shootings than LA. And our population is 500k. They have almost 4 million... I am also Latino. So I am statistically more likely than you to be shot by the police. But *most* police are good human beings who want to help people. So over 99.9% of the time you are safe. I would rather spend all my time around the police than spend all my time with zero police in the world.

Are some police crazy? Maybe, sure. But some teachers, some construction workers, some CEOs, or some doctors are crazy. But most aren't. Some nurses have contaminated needles on purpose--scared of going to a hospital? Of course not. Why? Most nurses are moral people. Most needles are clean. Most policemen are moral people and most policeman will not harm you unless you give them adequate reason.

This is age restricted. This policeman pulled over a man who got out of his car. He yelled at the cop, at one point hit the cop. The man later ran to his car, grabbed a rifle, and murdered the policeman (https://www.youtube.com...). The man was a Vietnam Veteran with PTSD. Scared of Veterans now? No. This cop had 100% justification to (1) tazer, beat the sh!t out of, or pepper spray the man when he charged the cop and hit him, (2) Had justification to draw his weapon when the man wen tot his car, and (3) Had justificaiton in the few second interval when the man waved his gun around. Unlike your video, this top was *too* cautious. So anecdotal cases go both ways.

Most cops are in the middle. If you hit a cop you are going down, but probably not tortured by a dog and killed. As long as you aren't doing suspicious activity, prevent having cops called on you, speeding, or fighting the cops you will not be harmed nor will you even encounter cops. If you get caught, say, speeding... Don't fight back. Keep your hands open. Do not talk back. Be respectful. You should do fine. And remember, I am more at risk of being hurt by police than you statistically, and I am not afraid. The cops are usually pretty chill as long as you aren't an idiot. The Gardner case is super unlikely to happen to you.

You should be more worried about dying in a fiery car wreck than being killed by a cop, lol.

This article says we have more police killings than everyone else by... a lot (http://www.businessinsider.com...). Other than Australia, the other countries cops don't have guns so those countries are bad comparisons. There are reasons we have higher rates other than to be paranoid.

(1) More people. I mean a lot. More than all of the other countries combined--this isn't per capita. Ours may be lower since we have such a huge population.
(2) Higher crime rates. Higher crime = more confrontation is inevitable
(3) Protests. Our protests are bigger because of... population. Large protests probably scare cops more, which leads to more death.
(4) Gun control? The article says gun control. But that is dumb since concealed carry laws reduce police death (Mustard 2001).

The reason most cops kill people isn't because you should be afraid. tbh in most cases, except maybe some cases (e.g. Gardner) the police are justified in doing what they do... And remember I am from Albuquerque which has a huge amount of police shootings... and I am not afraid of sh!t.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:02:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

How can they trust you?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:04:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 8:49:10 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

Anecdotal evidence. The only way to be "safe" is to avoid doing illegal or suspicious things. Don't speed, do dumb sh!t, etc. Plus, I live in Albuquerque, and we have more police shootings than LA. And our population is 500k. They have almost 4 million... I am also Latino. So I am statistically more likely than you to be shot by the police. But *most* police are good human beings who want to help people. So over 99.9% of the time you are safe. I would rather spend all my time around the police than spend all my time with zero police in the world.

Are some police crazy? Maybe, sure. But some teachers, some construction workers, some CEOs, or some doctors are crazy. But most aren't. Some nurses have contaminated needles on purpose--scared of going to a hospital? Of course not. Why? Most nurses are moral people. Most needles are clean. Most policemen are moral people and most policeman will not harm you unless you give them adequate reason.

This is age restricted. This policeman pulled over a man who got out of his car. He yelled at the cop, at one point hit the cop. The man later ran to his car, grabbed a rifle, and murdered the policeman (https://www.youtube.com...). The man was a Vietnam Veteran with PTSD. Scared of Veterans now? No. This cop had 100% justification to (1) tazer, beat the sh!t out of, or pepper spray the man when he charged the cop and hit him, (2) Had justification to draw his weapon when the man wen tot his car, and (3) Had justificaiton in the few second interval when the man waved his gun around. Unlike your video, this top was *too* cautious. So anecdotal cases go both ways.

Most cops are in the middle. If you hit a cop you are going down, but probably not tortured by a dog and killed. As long as you aren't doing suspicious activity, prevent having cops called on you, speeding, or fighting the cops you will not be harmed nor will you even encounter cops. If you get caught, say, speeding... Don't fight back. Keep your hands open. Do not talk back. Be respectful. You should do fine. And remember, I am more at risk of being hurt by police than you statistically, and I am not afraid. The cops are usually pretty chill as long as you aren't an idiot. The Gardner case is super unlikely to happen to you.

You should be more worried about dying in a fiery car wreck than being killed by a cop, lol.

This article says we have more police killings than everyone else by... a lot (http://www.businessinsider.com...). Other than Australia, the other countries cops don't have guns so those countries are bad comparisons. There are reasons we have higher rates other than to be paranoid.

(1) More people. I mean a lot. More than all of the other countries combined--this isn't per capita. Ours may be lower since we have such a huge population.
(2) Higher crime rates. Higher crime = more confrontation is inevitable
(3) Protests. Our protests are bigger because of... population. Large protests probably scare cops more, which leads to more death.
(4) Gun control? The article says gun control. But that is dumb since concealed carry laws reduce police death (Mustard 2001).

The reason most cops kill people isn't because you should be afraid. tbh in most cases, except maybe some cases (e.g. Gardner) the police are justified in doing what they do... And remember I am from Albuquerque which has a huge amount of police shootings... and I am not afraid of sh!t.
You are wrong. I am not committing the anectotal evidence fallacy. It is wrong to victim blame. Eric Gardner did nothing wrong to deserve being killed. You are saying that criminals deserve to die. How wrong of you. Saying that criminals deserve to die is fascist. I am not calling Eric a criminal though. All he did was break up a fight and sell cigarettes.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:08:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:04:14 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

You are wrong. I am not committing the anectotal evidence fallacy. It is wrong to victim blame. Eric Gardner did nothing wrong to deserve being killed. You are saying that criminals deserve to die. How wrong of you. Saying that criminals deserve to die is fascist. I am not calling Eric a criminal though. All he did was break up a fight and sell cigarettes.

You mean all he did was break up a fight, illegally sell cigarettes, and resist arrest.
In fact, it seems like most of the people who are being shot by police are resisting arrest. So, it seems like if you don't do that, you should be fine.
My work here is, finally, done.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,840
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:12:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

Don't use one example to generalize all the other police officers.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:13:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you are a visible minority in the US, you should be cautious of cops. This didn't start with Eric Garner or Michael Brown or Walter Scott. More people are discussing the issue today because of social media and organized protests, but this is old news.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:20:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1 in 22,000 police officers will be killed by a civilian.

1 in 291,000 civilians will be killed by a police officer.

I looked up the statistics and did the math.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:26:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:20:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
1 in 22,000 police officers will be killed by a civilian.

1 in 291,000 civilians will be killed by a police officer.

I looked up the statistics and did the math.

I am drawing a blank on how to convert those numbers to percentages to see which category has a higher percentage killed per 1000? Anybody want to help?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:28:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:26:06 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/9/2015 9:20:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
1 in 22,000 police officers will be killed by a civilian.

1 in 291,000 civilians will be killed by a police officer.

I looked up the statistics and did the math.

I am drawing a blank on how to convert those numbers to percentages to see which category has a higher percentage killed per 1000? Anybody want to help?

Us population 300 million 1029 civilians killed by police. 2014

765,000 police officers with arrest powers, this includes the FBI. 35 killed by civilians 2014
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:30:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:04:14 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:49:10 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

Anecdotal evidence. The only way to be "safe" is to avoid doing illegal or suspicious things. Don't speed, do dumb sh!t, etc. Plus, I live in Albuquerque, and we have more police shootings than LA. And our population is 500k. They have almost 4 million... I am also Latino. So I am statistically more likely than you to be shot by the police. But *most* police are good human beings who want to help people. So over 99.9% of the time you are safe. I would rather spend all my time around the police than spend all my time with zero police in the world.

Are some police crazy? Maybe, sure. But some teachers, some construction workers, some CEOs, or some doctors are crazy. But most aren't. Some nurses have contaminated needles on purpose--scared of going to a hospital? Of course not. Why? Most nurses are moral people. Most needles are clean. Most policemen are moral people and most policeman will not harm you unless you give them adequate reason.

This is age restricted. This policeman pulled over a man who got out of his car. He yelled at the cop, at one point hit the cop. The man later ran to his car, grabbed a rifle, and murdered the policeman (https://www.youtube.com...). The man was a Vietnam Veteran with PTSD. Scared of Veterans now? No. This cop had 100% justification to (1) tazer, beat the sh!t out of, or pepper spray the man when he charged the cop and hit him, (2) Had justification to draw his weapon when the man wen tot his car, and (3) Had justificaiton in the few second interval when the man waved his gun around. Unlike your video, this top was *too* cautious. So anecdotal cases go both ways.

Most cops are in the middle. If you hit a cop you are going down, but probably not tortured by a dog and killed. As long as you aren't doing suspicious activity, prevent having cops called on you, speeding, or fighting the cops you will not be harmed nor will you even encounter cops. If you get caught, say, speeding... Don't fight back. Keep your hands open. Do not talk back. Be respectful. You should do fine. And remember, I am more at risk of being hurt by police than you statistically, and I am not afraid. The cops are usually pretty chill as long as you aren't an idiot. The Gardner case is super unlikely to happen to you.

You should be more worried about dying in a fiery car wreck than being killed by a cop, lol.

This article says we have more police killings than everyone else by... a lot (http://www.businessinsider.com...). Other than Australia, the other countries cops don't have guns so those countries are bad comparisons. There are reasons we have higher rates other than to be paranoid.

(1) More people. I mean a lot. More than all of the other countries combined--this isn't per capita. Ours may be lower since we have such a huge population.
(2) Higher crime rates. Higher crime = more confrontation is inevitable
(3) Protests. Our protests are bigger because of... population. Large protests probably scare cops more, which leads to more death.
(4) Gun control? The article says gun control. But that is dumb since concealed carry laws reduce police death (Mustard 2001).

The reason most cops kill people isn't because you should be afraid. tbh in most cases, except maybe some cases (e.g. Gardner) the police are justified in doing what they do... And remember I am from Albuquerque which has a huge amount of police shootings... and I am not afraid of sh!t.
You are wrong. I am not committing the anectotal evidence fallacy. It is wrong to victim blame. Eric Gardner did nothing wrong to deserve being killed. You are saying that criminals deserve to die. How wrong of you. Saying that criminals deserve to die is fascist. I am not calling Eric a criminal though. All he did was break up a fight and sell cigarettes.

I counted two straw man fallacies. Keep up the good work.
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:31:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The chance of you being shot by a cop is extremely slim. I think you are more likely to be struck by lightning than shot by a cop.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:37:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:31:46 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The chance of you being shot by a cop is extremely slim. I think you are more likely to be struck by lightning than shot by a cop.

The odds are even greater than that when you don't resist arrest run from the cops and run your big mouth. They drop to near 0
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:41:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:31:46 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The chance of you being shot by a cop is extremely slim. I think you are more likely to be struck by lightning than shot by a cop.

Maybe, but the Lightning is more likely to go to court for killing me than a cop.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,138
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:42:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:37:58 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/9/2015 9:31:46 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The chance of you being shot by a cop is extremely slim. I think you are more likely to be struck by lightning than shot by a cop.

The odds are even greater than that when you don't resist arrest run from the cops and run your big mouth. They drop to near 0

Yes, because someone running their mouth should be punishable by death without a trial
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:54:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
@16k, the only problem with your theory is that we all break laws everyday. I personally love in a police state, I live in America, so I can literally be arrested for anything.

http://www.wsj.com...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:56:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:20:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
1 in 22,000 police officers will be killed by a civilian.

1 in 291,000 civilians will be killed by a police officer.

I looked up the statistics and did the math.

I don't believe your numbers. Are you counting all on duty police deaths, which include the number 1 killer of cops "car accidents" and the number 2 killer "heart attacks". Being shot on the job is a distant number 3 and I believe your statistics to be counting all police deaths as opposed to just homocides.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:57:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:31:46 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The chance of you being shot by a cop is extremely slim. I think you are more likely to be struck by lightning than shot by a cop.

Did you know that you are 10 times more likely to be killed by a cop than a terrorist in the United States?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:59:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:37:58 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/9/2015 9:31:46 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The chance of you being shot by a cop is extremely slim. I think you are more likely to be struck by lightning than shot by a cop.

The odds are even greater than that when you don't resist arrest run from the cops and run your big mouth. They drop to near 0

Way to blame the victim! Who wouldn't run from these murderous thugs?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:02:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The particular police that apprehended GARDNER are not responsible for his death, but yes. Regardless of skin color, cops are a threat to you. If they pull you over, they will assume you are armed and dangerous because they view the American people as the enemy. Make no quick movements and before every movement announce it to the cop. Give them a wide berth.

You never know when an interaction with a cop, will leave you dead.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:06:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

It's sad a guide for surviving an encounter with police is neccesary, but in today's world any encounter could end with you dead. Every police interaction is a life or death situation. Here is a guide

http://adequateman.deadspin.com...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:07:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:54:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
@16k, the only problem with your theory is that we all break laws everyday. I personally love in a police state, I live in America, so I can literally be arrested for anything.

http://www.wsj.com...

Yeah I know, I cited those stats. Most of the laws if I recall are from tax evasion BS though. I support a flat tax which would eliminate this... And for the most part cops won't go around killing you over tax evasion since there is so much of it (accidentally) for trivial amounts that no one really gets caught.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:09:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:04:14 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:49:10 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

Anecdotal evidence. The only way to be "safe" is to avoid doing illegal or suspicious things. Don't speed, do dumb sh!t, etc. Plus, I live in Albuquerque, and we have more police shootings than LA. And our population is 500k. They have almost 4 million... I am also Latino. So I am statistically more likely than you to be shot by the police. But *most* police are good human beings who want to help people. So over 99.9% of the time you are safe. I would rather spend all my time around the police than spend all my time with zero police in the world.

Are some police crazy? Maybe, sure. But some teachers, some construction workers, some CEOs, or some doctors are crazy. But most aren't. Some nurses have contaminated needles on purpose--scared of going to a hospital? Of course not. Why? Most nurses are moral people. Most needles are clean. Most policemen are moral people and most policeman will not harm you unless you give them adequate reason.

This is age restricted. This policeman pulled over a man who got out of his car. He yelled at the cop, at one point hit the cop. The man later ran to his car, grabbed a rifle, and murdered the policeman (https://www.youtube.com...). The man was a Vietnam Veteran with PTSD. Scared of Veterans now? No. This cop had 100% justification to (1) tazer, beat the sh!t out of, or pepper spray the man when he charged the cop and hit him, (2) Had justification to draw his weapon when the man wen tot his car, and (3) Had justificaiton in the few second interval when the man waved his gun around. Unlike your video, this top was *too* cautious. So anecdotal cases go both ways.

Most cops are in the middle. If you hit a cop you are going down, but probably not tortured by a dog and killed. As long as you aren't doing suspicious activity, prevent having cops called on you, speeding, or fighting the cops you will not be harmed nor will you even encounter cops. If you get caught, say, speeding... Don't fight back. Keep your hands open. Do not talk back. Be respectful. You should do fine. And remember, I am more at risk of being hurt by police than you statistically, and I am not afraid. The cops are usually pretty chill as long as you aren't an idiot. The Gardner case is super unlikely to happen to you.

You should be more worried about dying in a fiery car wreck than being killed by a cop, lol.

This article says we have more police killings than everyone else by... a lot (http://www.businessinsider.com...). Other than Australia, the other countries cops don't have guns so those countries are bad comparisons. There are reasons we have higher rates other than to be paranoid.

(1) More people. I mean a lot. More than all of the other countries combined--this isn't per capita. Ours may be lower since we have such a huge population.
(2) Higher crime rates. Higher crime = more confrontation is inevitable
(3) Protests. Our protests are bigger because of... population. Large protests probably scare cops more, which leads to more death.
(4) Gun control? The article says gun control. But that is dumb since concealed carry laws reduce police death (Mustard 2001).

The reason most cops kill people isn't because you should be afraid. tbh in most cases, except maybe some cases (e.g. Gardner) the police are justified in doing what they do... And remember I am from Albuquerque which has a huge amount of police shootings... and I am not afraid of sh!t.
You are wrong. I am not committing the anectotal evidence fallacy. It is wrong to victim blame. Eric Gardner did nothing wrong to deserve being killed. You are saying that criminals deserve to die. How wrong of you. Saying that criminals deserve to die is fascist. I am not calling Eric a criminal though. All he did was break up a fight and sell cigarettes.

I didn't say that it was rich tto kill Gardner... lol...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:12:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:26:06 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/9/2015 9:20:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
1 in 22,000 police officers will be killed by a civilian.

1 in 291,000 civilians will be killed by a police officer.

I looked up the statistics and did the math.

I am drawing a blank on how to convert those numbers to percentages to see which category has a higher percentage killed per 1000? Anybody want to help?

divide first by 22... second by 291

0.045/1000 (killed by civilian) = 0.00045%

0.0034/1000 (killed by cop) = 0.0000034%
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:13:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 9:31:46 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The chance of you being shot by a cop is extremely slim. I think you are more likely to be struck by lightning than shot by a cop.

I hope you are right. :(
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:13:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 10:07:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2015 9:54:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
@16k, the only problem with your theory is that we all break laws everyday. I personally love in a police state, I live in America, so I can literally be arrested for anything.

http://www.wsj.com...

Yeah I know, I cited those stats. Most of the laws if I recall are from tax evasion BS though. I support a flat tax which would eliminate this... And for the most part cops won't go around killing you over tax evasion since there is so much of it (accidentally) for trivial amounts that no one really gets caught.

It's a bunch of tiny stuff. Lying to a federal agent is a felony. If you happen to be playing mafia with one and lie about being town, they can literally arrest you on a felony charge.

Did you know that it's illegal to take your prescription drugs out of the bottle and keep them in a different container? So when grandma uses those pill dividers, she is technically committing a felony and could wind up in prison.

It's not just tax laws, and even if you exclude these laws, because of an assumption they won't ever enforce them, but consider the fact that the police continually assist in breaking the 4th amendment with DUI checkpoints, or enforcing unjust laws, such as the drug laws.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:14:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 10:02:09 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/9/2015 8:34:01 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
After what happened to Eric Gardner, I do not trust cops.

The particular police that apprehended GARDNER are not responsible for his death, but yes. Regardless of skin color, cops are a threat to you. If they pull you over, they will assume you are armed and dangerous because they view the American people as the enemy. Make no quick movements and before every movement announce it to the cop. Give them a wide berth.

You never know when an interaction with a cop, will leave you dead.

What is interesting is that from the anecdotal evidence I hear, if you have a concealed carry permit (they know cause they run the plates) and if you are armed and tell them, they actually get relaxed since you are outgoing about armed status and don't feel threatened because you are telling them everything. Sometimes they just don't give the ticket.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:15:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 10:13:31 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/9/2015 10:07:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2015 9:54:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
@16k, the only problem with your theory is that we all break laws everyday. I personally love in a police state, I live in America, so I can literally be arrested for anything.

http://www.wsj.com...

Yeah I know, I cited those stats. Most of the laws if I recall are from tax evasion BS though. I support a flat tax which would eliminate this... And for the most part cops won't go around killing you over tax evasion since there is so much of it (accidentally) for trivial amounts that no one really gets caught.

It's a bunch of tiny stuff. Lying to a federal agent is a felony. If you happen to be playing mafia with one and lie about being town, they can literally arrest you on a felony charge.

Did you know that it's illegal to take your prescription drugs out of the bottle and keep them in a different container? So when grandma uses those pill dividers, she is technically committing a felony and could wind up in prison.

It's not just tax laws, and even if you exclude these laws, because of an assumption they won't ever enforce them, but consider the fact that the police continually assist in breaking the 4th amendment with DUI checkpoints, or enforcing unjust laws, such as the drug laws.

How many people are prosecuted from BS laws?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:18:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/9/2015 10:15:23 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2015 10:13:31 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/9/2015 10:07:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2015 9:54:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
@16k, the only problem with your theory is that we all break laws everyday. I personally love in a police state, I live in America, so I can literally be arrested for anything.

http://www.wsj.com...

Yeah I know, I cited those stats. Most of the laws if I recall are from tax evasion BS though. I support a flat tax which would eliminate this... And for the most part cops won't go around killing you over tax evasion since there is so much of it (accidentally) for trivial amounts that no one really gets caught.

It's a bunch of tiny stuff. Lying to a federal agent is a felony. If you happen to be playing mafia with one and lie about being town, they can literally arrest you on a felony charge.

Did you know that it's illegal to take your prescription drugs out of the bottle and keep them in a different container? So when grandma uses those pill dividers, she is technically committing a felony and could wind up in prison.

It's not just tax laws, and even if you exclude these laws, because of an assumption they won't ever enforce them, but consider the fact that the police continually assist in breaking the 4th amendment with DUI checkpoints, or enforcing unjust laws, such as the drug laws.

How many people are prosecuted from BS laws?

Just look up the number of disorderly conduct and drunk in public charges, which I can tell you are really (contempt of cop), charges. Every single day these people lock up people for BS laws. Typically if you fight them disorderly charges don't stick, but most people don't fight them, and even if they did, they still have to spend the night in jail.