Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Education is a right.

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
16kadams
Posts: 10,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,421
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 6:48:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Agreed.
"Whatever else is evil, the pride of a good mother in the beauty of her daughter is good. It is one of those adamantine tendernesses which are the touchstones of every age and race. If other things are against it, other things must go down. If landlords and laws and sciences are against it, landlords and laws and sciences must go down. With the red hair of one she-urchin in the gutter I will set fire to all modern civilization."
- G. K. Chesterton -
jzonda415
Posts: 151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 8:02:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 6:48:46 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Agreed.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:05:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Yes it IS a right. People have the right to obtain knowledge.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.
16kadams
Posts: 10,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:13:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:05:39 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Yes it IS a right. People have the right to obtain knowledge.

Yes it is, but that isn't education like school. Education does convey knowledge, sure, but I've learned more from self-education than from high school. School is important--and I'm not opposing "free" public education--I'm just saying it isn't a right.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:18:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:13:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:05:39 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Yes it IS a right. People have the right to obtain knowledge.

Yes it is, but that isn't education like school. Education does convey knowledge, sure, but I've learned more from self-education than from high school. School is important--and I'm not opposing "free" public education--I'm just saying it isn't a right.

Fact: People have the right to an education.
16kadams
Posts: 10,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:19:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:18:29 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:13:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:05:39 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Yes it IS a right. People have the right to obtain knowledge.

Yes it is, but that isn't education like school. Education does convey knowledge, sure, but I've learned more from self-education than from high school. School is important--and I'm not opposing "free" public education--I'm just saying it isn't a right.

Fact: People have the right to an education.

Prove it.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:20:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Define "deserve."
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:21:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:19:59 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:18:29 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:13:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:05:39 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Yes it IS a right. People have the right to obtain knowledge.

Yes it is, but that isn't education like school. Education does convey knowledge, sure, but I've learned more from self-education than from high school. School is important--and I'm not opposing "free" public education--I'm just saying it isn't a right.

Fact: People have the right to an education.

Prove it.

Prove me wrong.
16kadams
Posts: 10,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:22:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:21:43 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:19:59 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:18:29 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:13:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:05:39 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Yes it IS a right. People have the right to obtain knowledge.

Yes it is, but that isn't education like school. Education does convey knowledge, sure, but I've learned more from self-education than from high school. School is important--and I'm not opposing "free" public education--I'm just saying it isn't a right.

Fact: People have the right to an education.

Prove it.

Prove me wrong.

You made the affirmative claim and thus have the burden of proof. If you can't do it your position isn't very strong.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:24:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:20:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Define "deserve."
I have properly answered the question. You need to stop trolling. If someone has the right to or deserves something, that means that they should be able to have it.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:27:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:24:55 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:20:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Define "deserve."
I have properly answered the question. You need to stop trolling. If someone has the right to or deserves something, that means that they should be able to have it.

Under that definition, everything is a right.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:27:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:22:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:21:43 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:19:59 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:18:29 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:13:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:05:39 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Yes it IS a right. People have the right to obtain knowledge.

Yes it is, but that isn't education like school. Education does convey knowledge, sure, but I've learned more from self-education than from high school. School is important--and I'm not opposing "free" public education--I'm just saying it isn't a right.

Fact: People have the right to an education.

Prove it.

Prove me wrong.

You made the affirmative claim and thus have the burden of proof. If you can't do it your position isn't very strong.

Why?
16kadams
Posts: 10,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:29:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:27:45 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:22:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:21:43 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:19:59 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:18:29 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:13:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:05:39 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:41:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

It is not a right, but the state should provide it as they do now.

Yes it IS a right. People have the right to obtain knowledge.

Yes it is, but that isn't education like school. Education does convey knowledge, sure, but I've learned more from self-education than from high school. School is important--and I'm not opposing "free" public education--I'm just saying it isn't a right.

Fact: People have the right to an education.

Prove it.

Prove me wrong.

You made the affirmative claim and thus have the burden of proof. If you can't do it your position isn't very strong.

Why?

lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:29:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:27:11 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:24:55 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:20:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Define "deserve."
I have properly answered the question. You need to stop trolling. If someone has the right to or deserves something, that means that they should be able to have it.

Under that definition, everything is a right.

That is not what I am saying. I am saying that education is a right.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:31:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:29:57 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:27:11 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:24:55 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:20:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Define "deserve."
I have properly answered the question. You need to stop trolling. If someone has the right to or deserves something, that means that they should be able to have it.

Under that definition, everything is a right.

That is not what I am saying. I am saying that education is a right.

Yeah I heard. I'm saying you defined your terms poorly.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:42:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Why does anyone deserve to have anything? Who says that anyone deserves squat?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:49:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:31:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:29:57 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:27:11 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:24:55 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:20:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Define "deserve."
I have properly answered the question. You need to stop trolling. If someone has the right to or deserves something, that means that they should be able to have it.

Under that definition, everything is a right.

That is not what I am saying. I am saying that education is a right.

Yeah I heard. I'm saying you defined your terms poorly.

You have the right to your opinion.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:50:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:42:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Why does anyone deserve to have anything? Who says that anyone deserves squat?

Fact: Rights exist.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 9:52:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:50:49 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:42:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Why does anyone deserve to have anything? Who says that anyone deserves squat?

Fact: Rights exist.

Says who? Can you provide any proof as to the existence of rights? Are they not simply a manmade moral concept?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Josh_debate
Posts: 170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 10:55:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 9:50:49 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:42:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Why does anyone deserve to have anything? Who says that anyone deserves squat?

Fact: Rights exist.

Rights exist but not as physical objects or rewards. The only right you have are rights to actions. For example you have the right to go out and try to get a car, but whether or not you get it is dependent on you. A right can't impose any obligation onto others, merely the negative obligation to leave you alone.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 1:49:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 10:55:47 AM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:50:49 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:42:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Why does anyone deserve to have anything? Who says that anyone deserves squat?

Fact: Rights exist.

Rights exist but not as physical objects or rewards. The only right you have are rights to actions. For example you have the right to go out and try to get a car, but whether or not you get it is dependent on you. A right can't impose any obligation onto others, merely the negative obligation to leave you alone.

I agree. Thank you.
Josh_debate
Posts: 170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 1:51:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 1:49:08 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/13/2015 10:55:47 AM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:50:49 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:42:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Why does anyone deserve to have anything? Who says that anyone deserves squat?

Fact: Rights exist.

Rights exist but not as physical objects or rewards. The only right you have are rights to actions. For example you have the right to go out and try to get a car, but whether or not you get it is dependent on you. A right can't impose any obligation onto others, merely the negative obligation to leave you alone.

I agree. Thank you.

Because of this i would say that education isn't a right .
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 2:05:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 1:51:07 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 4/13/2015 1:49:08 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/13/2015 10:55:47 AM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:50:49 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:42:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Why does anyone deserve to have anything? Who says that anyone deserves squat?

Fact: Rights exist.

Rights exist but not as physical objects or rewards. The only right you have are rights to actions. For example you have the right to go out and try to get a car, but whether or not you get it is dependent on you. A right can't impose any obligation onto others, merely the negative obligation to leave you alone.

I agree. Thank you.

Because of this i would say that education isn't a right .

You are wrong. Education IS a right.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 2:07:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 1:51:07 PM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 4/13/2015 1:49:08 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/13/2015 10:55:47 AM, Josh_debate wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:50:49 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:42:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 9:07:05 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/12/2015 6:00:42 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 4:02:50 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Do you agree or disagree? I agree that education is a right.

Define a "right".

A right is something that people deserve to have.

Why does anyone deserve to have anything? Who says that anyone deserves squat?

Fact: Rights exist.

Rights exist but not as physical objects or rewards. The only right you have are rights to actions. For example you have the right to go out and try to get a car, but whether or not you get it is dependent on you. A right can't impose any obligation onto others, merely the negative obligation to leave you alone.

I agree. Thank you.

Because of this i would say that education isn't a right .

It begs the question as to WHY education is not a right.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 2:36:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay, you have a right to educate yourself. Everyone happy? Good.
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations.
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection,
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.