Jump to topic:

Politics and morality.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 10:37:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
They say politics is based on your sense of morality. What do you know about this? What ethics places someone on any given point on the spectrum?

Also, this 1,000th politics topic, had to take it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 10:40:30 PM
At 7/29/2010 10:37:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
They say politics is based on your sense of morality. What do you know about this? What ethics places someone on any given point on the spectrum?

I think its related in a sense cause if you believe one way thats gunna affect how you feel about an issue.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 10:42:26 PM
At 7/29/2010 10:40:30 PM, lovelife wrote:

I think its related in a sense cause if you believe one way thats gunna affect how you feel about an issue.

Well of course but I'm meaning there needs to be a little more explanation in to how exactly. What means what.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 10:44:42 PM
At 7/29/2010 10:42:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/29/2010 10:40:30 PM, lovelife wrote:

Well of course but I'm meaning there needs to be a little more explanation in to how exactly. What means what.

I'm not sure. I just know that I believe people should be free to choose how they live their life as long as it doesn't hurt people and that put me on the left.

I really don't know much about politics.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 11:43:30 PM
They say politics is based on your sense of morality.

Starting sentences with "they say" can be a recipe for disaster, unless your beginning a conservative talking point on Fox News.

If you're a debater on DDO, then I would say this point holds. If you're politician, I'd say you have a whole lot more to worry about than morality in your political endeavors. That point aside, I believe morality is the most important aspect of a person's character, and ideally, yes, everyone's politics should be based on their morals. I'm hoping that future generations take better care to study morality as the status quo has been beaten down by religion and greed.

What do you know about this? What ethics places someone on any given point on the spectrum?

Assuming you mean the spectrum of good and evil, I would say the single most determining factor is pride vs. humility. I put the negative first because human nature is negative; we do not strive for good, we strive not to do evil. Why else would we be so preoccupied with what would happen to criminals in an anarchist society? Pride is the root of all evil (which greed, in turn, is rooted [hence money]), because it places oneself above other people. When one considers oneself more important than other people, it's hard not to be able to justify an immoral act.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 12:23:27 AM
They say politics is based on your sense of morality. What do you know about this?

Politics is the part of philosophy that tells us about the acceptable uses of force. Obviously, permissibility is predetermined by your ethical principles (or lack thereof).

What ethics places someone on any given point on the spectrum?

I don't even understand the question.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 12:37:47 AM
For me, anything that suppresses freedom is inherently immoral. Since my morality tells me authority is immoral, I won't support a political system based on authority.

Hmm, I wonder if I could use my religion as an excuse to get away with anything. If a cop tries to hassle me, I'll complain that my religion prohibits me from being subject to authority and therefore infringing my 1st amendment right.

The Buddha: "Thus you should go about self-governed..."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 1:12:29 AM
The Buddha: "Thus you should go about self-governed..."

A wise statement... People can abandon their personal morality as long as they are operating under the guidelines of something else. Law and religion provide exits from morality.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 1:36:11 AM

I think that is true, my politics have always seemed to be derived from and consistent with my morals.

I think it is more that you interpret your morality to form your politics though. For instance I am not sure my morals have changed that much from when I used to consider myself a Communist.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 11:31:29 AM

In my opinion politics and morality should not be mentioned in the same sentence. I see alot of people jumping into public service, and they seem as though they are ethical, but after being tainted by Washington they vote along party lines, rather than with a conscience. How moral is that?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 1:04:05 PM
At 7/30/2010 11:31:29 AM, kelly224 wrote:

In my opinion politics and morality should not be mentioned in the same sentence. I see alot of people jumping into public service, and they seem as though they are ethical, but after being tainted by Washington they vote along party lines, rather than with a conscience. How moral is that?

We actually agree.

Politics is merely a way of getting power, its all about power, and do what is necessary to get the power.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 1:06:04 PM
At 7/30/2010 1:04:05 PM, innomen wrote:

We actually agree.

Politics is merely a way of getting power, its all about power, and do what is necessary to get the power.

Exactly. It's a game of power, absolutely nothing to do with morality.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 1:09:20 PM
At 7/30/2010 1:06:04 PM, kelly224 wrote:
At 7/30/2010 1:04:05 PM, innomen wrote:

We actually agree.

Exactly. It's a game of power, absolutely nothing to do with morality.

It's naive and dangerous to think otherwise. That's why i advocate to not belong to a party.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 1:37:33 PM
At 7/30/2010 1:28:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
These really interested me, you should take a look.

My VPN doesn't deal well with YouTube, can you summarize?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 2:37:02 PM
Just because they are causally related does not make them a function. It's one causal factor, not a sufficient.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 4:52:08 PM
At 7/30/2010 1:28:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
These really interested me, you should take a look.

eh. his book (the political mind) is poorly written propaganda. i bought it hoping to learn something interesting, but the more i read the more i realized it was simply a long rant about how conservatives are @ssholes and liberals are like loving parents. its a gross oversimplification of the matter. i know he's written a lot in the sphere of language, especially dealing with metaphors, but to try to reduce worldviews to a few metaphors misses the entire rational basis of the positions he summarizes.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 10:27:52 PM
I believe that morality is dynamic and has no intrinsic meaning. For that reason, I don't much care about politics, so this matches OP pretty well.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.