Jump to topic:

Free Range Parenting?

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 5:44:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think it's something of an over correction...but it's definitely a correction. Modern day parental norms of children never having a second unsupervised their entire lives are crippling an entire generation. I read a study the other day..children spend 90% of their free time indoors at their homes. 90%. I'm not so sure that I would leave my children alone to play at a park, but there are worse things and that's a million times better than the horribly abusive practice of utterly robbing them of their childhoods. And in a sane country, a police officer who abducted two children and threatened to charge their parents for "neglect" for the horrible crime of letting their children play at a park that is within walking distance of their home would be forced to resign in disgrace.

It's a really sad paradox that kids the days are simultaneously treated as babies incapable of any form of responsibility while also not being allowed to be children.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 5:49:18 PM
At 4/18/2015 5:44:28 PM, thett3 wrote:
I think it's something of an over correction...but it's definitely a correction. Modern day parental norms of children never having a second unsupervised their entire lives are crippling an entire generation. I read a study the other day..children spend 90% of their free time indoors at their homes. 90%. I'm not so sure that I would leave my children alone to play at a park, but there are worse things and that's a million times better than the horribly abusive practice of utterly robbing them of their childhoods. And in a sane country, a police officer who abducted two children and threatened to charge their parents for "neglect" for the horrible crime of letting their children play at a park that is within walking distance of their home would be forced to resign in disgrace.

It's a really sad paradox that kids the days are simultaneously treated as babies incapable of any form of responsibility while also not being allowed to be children.

+1
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 5:54:32 PM
I think it's something of an over correction...but it's definitely a correction. Modern day parental norms of children never having a second unsupervised their entire lives are crippling an entire generation.

I am inclined to agree, but I don't want to talk about that myself... here at least.

I read a study the other day..children spend 90% of their free time indoors at their homes. 90%.

That's bad. I have some theories on the negative impacts that stuff like that is having, but I don't want to talk about it here. Maybe we can talk via PM if you want.

I'm not so sure that I would leave my children alone to play at a park, but there are worse things and that's a million times better than the horribly abusive practice of utterly robbing them of their childhoods.

I would let my kids, if one of them was at least 12, play unsupervised in a crowded park. The more people are around, the lower the chances of bad stuff happening. There is security in numbers, and in general most people will step up and do the right thing if something fishy is going on.

And in a sane country, a police officer who abducted two children and threatened to charge their parents for "neglect" for the horrible crime of letting their children play at a park that is within walking distance of their home would be forced to resign in disgrace.

I don't think he should resign, and Maryland culture there is... it's different than the kind of culture I grew up in. There have been, historically, a lot more kidnappings there than where I grew up.

So, I think the cop was doing what he thought was in the best interest of those kids. I think that what he did was absurd (even given Maryland's history of kidnappings), but I don't think he's morally culpable for what he did because his intent was to protect.

Well put.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 6:08:09 PM
At 4/18/2015 5:54:32 PM, YYW wrote:
I think it's something of an over correction...but it's definitely a correction. Modern day parental norms of children never having a second unsupervised their entire lives are crippling an entire generation.

I am inclined to agree, but I don't want to talk about that myself... here at least.

I read a study the other day..children spend 90% of their free time indoors at their homes. 90%.

That's bad. I have some theories on the negative impacts that stuff like that is having, but I don't want to talk about it here. Maybe we can talk via PM if you want.

Sure. I'm very interested in this issue

I'm not so sure that I would leave my children alone to play at a park, but there are worse things and that's a million times better than the horribly abusive practice of utterly robbing them of their childhoods.

I would let my kids, if one of them was at least 12, play unsupervised in a crowded park. The more people are around, the lower the chances of bad stuff happening. There is security in numbers, and in general most people will step up and do the right thing if something fishy is going on.

And in a sane country, a police officer who abducted two children and threatened to charge their parents for "neglect" for the horrible crime of letting their children play at a park that is within walking distance of their home would be forced to resign in disgrace.

I don't think he should resign, and Maryland culture there is... it's different than the kind of culture I grew up in. There have been, historically, a lot more kidnappings there than where I grew up.

So, I think the cop was doing what he thought was in the best interest of those kids. I think that what he did was absurd (even given Maryland's history of kidnappings), but I don't think he's morally culpable for what he did because his intent was to protect.

I mean...that's fair. But it's just something extremely frustrating to see. Obviously the fear of abduction is coloring peoples perceptions about their childrens safety and has been ever since the media figured out they could make money by sensationalizing certain cases...it's just a shame, overall. I feel incredibly badly for kids these days and the type of "childhoods" they have to look forward to

Well put.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 11:14:49 PM
I follow Steven Pinker on Twitter, and a while back he linked to a NY times article that made the case for free range children. Basically the argument is that very few children actually get kidnapped, and that there are real costs associated with depriving children of the freedom to be alone...costs that far outweigh the risk of kidnapping.

"Motor development suffers when most of a child"s leisure time is spent sitting at home instead of running outside. Emotional development suffers, too.

'We are depriving them of opportunities to learn how to take control of their own lives,' writes Peter Gray, a research professor at Boston College. He argues that this increases 'the chance that they will suffer from anxiety, depression, and various other mental disorders,' which have gone up dramatically in recent decades. He sees risky, outside play of children among themselves without adult supervision as a way of learning to control strong emotions like anger and fear."

http://www.nytimes.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:09:37 AM
Keep in mind I'm in my early 20s now... but when I was a kid, we lived in a fairly wooded suburban neighborhood with a variety of trails and the like that I (and the neighborhood kids) could hike through. And we did... When I was in elementary school, I'd get up in the morning and go outside and I wouldn't come back until after dark sometimes. I did not have a cell phone until I was in 5th or 6th grade, and even when I did get one I didn't take it with me. The neighborhood kids and I played all the time.

I rode my bike, we built various ramps and instrumentalities to jump off of with our bikes, roller blades, scooters, etc. I fell and got hurt a number of times, but I had a really nice BMX bike and a really nice mountain bike. I still have the mountain bike, and I rode it consistently until I graduated from high school. Mountain biking is probably one of the best past-times a kid can engage in, I think. I also played some video games, but I spent a lot of time outside when I was younger... and my allergies weren't as bad as they are now... and nothing bad happened to me.

When I spent summers with relatives in various parts of the country, I did the same thing.

I think that parents now are too overprotective. I think it's important that kids play outside and play with other kids. I think it's important to be exposed to the sun, and to breathe fresh air. And I think that it's very sad that we live in a time where it is possible that some busy body would call the police because two kids were playing in the park unsupervised.
Tsar of DDO
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 11:28:20 PM
It is a great idea to let parents raise their kids. The best start would be to repeal car seat requirement laws.

An infant, for government mandated safety, must be removed from their mother's arms and restrained in a multi-point car seat to protect from the extremely small chance of an accident on the drive home. Let parents decide if the risk is high enough to use a car seat.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 9:29:32 AM
At 4/19/2015 10:09:37 AM, YYW wrote:
Keep in mind I'm in my early 20s now... but when I was a kid, we lived in a fairly wooded suburban neighborhood with a variety of trails and the like that I (and the neighborhood kids) could hike through. And we did... When I was in elementary school, I'd get up in the morning and go outside and I wouldn't come back until after dark sometimes. I did not have a cell phone until I was in 5th or 6th grade, and even when I did get one I didn't take it with me. The neighborhood kids and I played all the time.

I rode my bike, we built various ramps and instrumentalities to jump off of with our bikes, roller blades, scooters, etc. I fell and got hurt a number of times, but I had a really nice BMX bike and a really nice mountain bike. I still have the mountain bike, and I rode it consistently until I graduated from high school. Mountain biking is probably one of the best past-times a kid can engage in, I think. I also played some video games, but I spent a lot of time outside when I was younger... and my allergies weren't as bad as they are now... and nothing bad happened to me.

When I spent summers with relatives in various parts of the country, I did the same thing.

I think that parents now are too overprotective. I think it's important that kids play outside and play with other kids. I think it's important to be exposed to the sun, and to breathe fresh air. And I think that it's very sad that we live in a time where it is possible that some busy body would call the police because two kids were playing in the park unsupervised.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. When you compare your childhood to the way kids are raised now it just seems almost like you're making it up because its so radically different. And it wasn't even that long ago. I had to be at home this past Halloween, and it was shocking how many of the children coming to the door begging for candy I had never, ever seen
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:14:34 PM
At 4/20/2015 9:29:32 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 4/19/2015 10:09:37 AM, YYW wrote:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. When you compare your childhood to the way kids are raised now it just seems almost like you're making it up because its so radically different. And it wasn't even that long ago. I had to be at home this past Halloween, and it was shocking how many of the children coming to the door begging for candy I had never, ever seen

Yeah... it's amazing to think how profoundly the world changed from the point where I was a kid (90s - early 00s) to now. We had video games, and they were great then... but they weren't anything like the video games that kids have now. The video games kids have now are.... like wow.

With regard to halloween, the last year I was in high school we had a lot of kids come to the door that I'd never seen, but I generally knew almost everyone who lived on my street -even if my mom didn't.

I worked in my yard a lot, it looked very good, and I got to know people that way. People drive by/walk the dog/etc.

But at the same time, no one played outside in the street. The only time that people really "hung out" with each other was at the neighborhood pool or on the tennis courts.
Tsar of DDO
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 7:53:25 PM
When I was growing up in the 50's-60's some of ny junior high and high school friends would take their .410 shotgun or .22 rifle to school, and put it in their locker, and do some squirrel hunting on the way home.

My parents both worked and from fourth grade on I would walk home from school and get there about 3:30, my parents got home about 5:30.
By fifth grade I had a newspaper route and would deliver papers after school to about 35 homes in town.

From the age of twelve In the summer a bunch of us slept out in tents about four nights a week. Sometimes we were in back yards, but a favorite spot was a mile out of town on top a hill.

From the age of 13 I road my bicycle to any neighboring town within ten miles.
For my boy scout Cycling merit badge I had to do a 25 mile bike hike - did all of them solo.

Wonderful times.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 9:50:17 PM
At 4/20/2015 7:53:25 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
When I was growing up in the 50's-60's some of ny junior high and high school friends would take their .410 shotgun or .22 rifle to school, and put it in their locker, and do some squirrel hunting on the way home.

My parents both worked and from fourth grade on I would walk home from school and get there about 3:30, my parents got home about 5:30.
By fifth grade I had a newspaper route and would deliver papers after school to about 35 homes in town.

From the age of twelve In the summer a bunch of us slept out in tents about four nights a week. Sometimes we were in back yards, but a favorite spot was a mile out of town on top a hill.

From the age of 13 I road my bicycle to any neighboring town within ten miles.
For my boy scout Cycling merit badge I had to do a 25 mile bike hike - did all of them solo.

Wonderful times.

That sounds wonderful...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Jack_Summer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 11:07:10 AM
I like it, and plan to raise my kids in a similar fashion. Generally around the age of eight kids are plenty capable of expanded freedom. Much more than most are currently afforded. Just depends on how they were raised.