Total Posts:53|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Marijuana regulation in America

jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 7:54:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
For those of you that think weed should remain illegal please post 3 good reasons for why. Those reasons will all be debunked once and for all!
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.
2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.
3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 5:19:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.
2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.
3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.

lol I'm assuming this is a troll post.
Fuzzed
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 1:39:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Sadly ive seen republicans in forums, and they really mean when they say this.

Then when you ask them why alcohol is legal, it gets very sketchy.

"Q***r" is thrown around alot
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 2:24:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/23/2015 5:19:55 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.
2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.
3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.

lol I'm assuming this is a troll post.

I'd agree with two of these points, so debunk them as you said you would.
My work here is, finally, done.
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 3:14:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/23/2015 5:19:55 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.
2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.
3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.

lol I'm assuming this is a troll post.

All three of those statements are true, so I'm not sure why you'd think I was trolling
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 4:24:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/24/2015 2:24:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/23/2015 5:19:55 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.
2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.
3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.

lol I'm assuming this is a troll post.

I'd agree with two of these points, so debunk them as you said you would.

Well weed smelling bad is opinionated so I can't really disprove that. Although it can be cooked into food and not smoked thus leaving no odor when consumed.

As for people being lazy as a result of weed consumption. It has been legal in Colorado for over a year and unemployment has decreased in that time frame even though more people are smoking. There has been no indication of a drop in productivity in that state in the time since weeds legalization which would suggest that people are not becoming more lazy if anything they are more active since more people have jobs now. There also has been no documented increase in the use of harder drugs such as cocaine or heroin which would suggest that no gateway effect has occurred as of yet. You can read through this time magazine article and it will go much more in depth to the myths of the gateway drug theory http://healthland.time.com...
Wocambs
Posts: 1,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 11:10:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/24/2015 3:14:18 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 4/23/2015 5:19:55 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.

The pattern of usage by the great majority of people who use weed is occassional, and furthermore, I don't know of any evidence you can raise to support a causal relationship between someone's weed smoking and the rest of their lifestyle. It appears to be nothing more than a prejudiced stereotype. In fact, a study by Dr. David Charles Parish found no difference between drug positive and drug negative employees. I also can see a few counter-arguments. A 'weed hangover' is either non-existent or mild, whereas alcohol produces far more debilitating effects. If it was a legal alternative, I think there would be a reduction in alcohol consumption; I personally would love to see an alternative to going to bars and clubs on a night out. This may lead to a decrease in absenteeism and presenteeism (attending work while sick). It is possible that the medicinal application of weed may also decrease absenteeism and presenteeism. I would also argue that the 'productivity' of the police and courts is lowered by having to deal with cannabis users, and on that note presumably it doesn't help your productivity to be prosecuted for weed.

2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.

There is simply no evidence to support this. The vast majority of people who have used weed do not use other, 'harder' drugs, and for those who do, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think the relationship is causal. Weed is simply very easy to get, and no mechanism has been identified to show that it is a 'gateway drug'. Alcohol is a very easy drug to get and could just as easily be identified as a 'gateway drug'. If we lived on a pacific island you could call kava a 'gateway drug'.

3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.

I thought everyone loved the smell, even non-smokers. I also have no idea why you would consider even heavy smokers a 'public nuisance'. To me this statement is as ridiculous as claiming that amphetamines are a good sleep aid.

lol I'm assuming this is a troll post.

All three of those statements are true, so I'm not sure why you'd think I was trolling
Wocambs
Posts: 1,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 11:10:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/24/2015 2:24:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/23/2015 5:19:55 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.
2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.
3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.

lol I'm assuming this is a troll post.

I'd agree with two of these points, so debunk them as you said you would.

Go for it!
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 7:46:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/25/2015 11:10:34 AM, Wocambs wrote:
At 4/24/2015 3:14:18 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 4/23/2015 5:19:55 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.

The pattern of usage by the great majority of people who use weed is occassional, and furthermore, I don't know of any evidence you can raise to support a causal relationship between someone's weed smoking and the rest of their lifestyle. It appears to be nothing more than a prejudiced stereotype. In fact, a study by Dr. David Charles Parish found no difference between drug positive and drug negative employees. I also can see a few counter-arguments. A 'weed hangover' is either non-existent or mild, whereas alcohol produces far more debilitating effects. If it was a legal alternative, I think there would be a reduction in alcohol consumption; I personally would love to see an alternative to going to bars and clubs on a night out. This may lead to a decrease in absenteeism and presenteeism (attending work while sick). It is possible that the medicinal application of weed may also decrease absenteeism and presenteeism. I would also argue that the 'productivity' of the police and courts is lowered by having to deal with cannabis users, and on that note presumably it doesn't help your productivity to be prosecuted for weed.

2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.

There is simply no evidence to support this. The vast majority of people who have used weed do not use other, 'harder' drugs, and for those who do, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think the relationship is causal. Weed is simply very easy to get, and no mechanism has been identified to show that it is a 'gateway drug'. Alcohol is a very easy drug to get and could just as easily be identified as a 'gateway drug'. If we lived on a pacific island you could call kava a 'gateway drug'.

3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.

I thought everyone loved the smell, even non-smokers. I also have no idea why you would consider even heavy smokers a 'public nuisance'. To me this statement is as ridiculous as claiming that amphetamines are a good sleep aid.

lol I'm assuming this is a troll post.

All three of those statements are true, so I'm not sure why you'd think I was trolling

These are greats points that most people ignor, there is a lot of propaganda out there about the drug war. Notice that no one has even bothered to respond to mines or your post. I think it's safe to say we have debunked the myths!
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 9:58:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A few years ago you could believe in these myths and that 'Reefer Madness" was a documentary, but now things have changed. The difference is the synthetic marijuana trade. There is wide variety of things you could call synthetic marijuana. I may be overgeneralizing here, but I will lump these all together and call them fake weed.

In reality Americans buy weed or fake weed. the law enforcement community has done something about weed but they have not stopped us from getting it. They may arrest the guy you used to buy weed from, but you will just find someone else to buy it from.

But now, if the guy you bought weed from is in jail you might buy some fake weed from somebody else. Therefore the result of the laws against marijuana is the fake weed business. Fake weed has many dangers that weed does not have. Weed that is 100% natural grows in the dirt and there would be no need to mix in anything with it, unless you want to get into the fake weed business. Most pot heads will tell you that fake weed is ****, but a demand for this **** has been created by limiting the supply of real weed.
If any of the problems mentioned above do exist, fake weed has made them worse, and this is your tax dollars at work.
Wocambs
Posts: 1,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:51:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/27/2015 7:46:44 AM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 4/25/2015 11:10:34 AM, Wocambs wrote:
At 4/24/2015 3:14:18 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 4/23/2015 5:19:55 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
At 4/21/2015 8:04:59 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
1. Weed consumption turns people into unmotivated stoners and hurts society's overall productivity.

The pattern of usage by the great majority of people who use weed is occassional, and furthermore, I don't know of any evidence you can raise to support a causal relationship between someone's weed smoking and the rest of their lifestyle. It appears to be nothing more than a prejudiced stereotype. In fact, a study by Dr. David Charles Parish found no difference between drug positive and drug negative employees. I also can see a few counter-arguments. A 'weed hangover' is either non-existent or mild, whereas alcohol produces far more debilitating effects. If it was a legal alternative, I think there would be a reduction in alcohol consumption; I personally would love to see an alternative to going to bars and clubs on a night out. This may lead to a decrease in absenteeism and presenteeism (attending work while sick). It is possible that the medicinal application of weed may also decrease absenteeism and presenteeism. I would also argue that the 'productivity' of the police and courts is lowered by having to deal with cannabis users, and on that note presumably it doesn't help your productivity to be prosecuted for weed.

2. Weed acts as a gateway drug to other even more harmful drugs.

There is simply no evidence to support this. The vast majority of people who have used weed do not use other, 'harder' drugs, and for those who do, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think the relationship is causal. Weed is simply very easy to get, and no mechanism has been identified to show that it is a 'gateway drug'. Alcohol is a very easy drug to get and could just as easily be identified as a 'gateway drug'. If we lived on a pacific island you could call kava a 'gateway drug'.

3. Weed smells bad and stoners are a public nuisance.

I thought everyone loved the smell, even non-smokers. I also have no idea why you would consider even heavy smokers a 'public nuisance'. To me this statement is as ridiculous as claiming that amphetamines are a good sleep aid.

lol I'm assuming this is a troll post.

All three of those statements are true, so I'm not sure why you'd think I was trolling

These are greats points that most people ignor, there is a lot of propaganda out there about the drug war. Notice that no one has even bothered to respond to mines or your post. I think it's safe to say we have debunked the myths!

It's not a real argument, any more than there's an argument over the possibility that jazz music will make you 'morally corrupt'.
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:55:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/27/2015 9:58:53 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
A few years ago you could believe in these myths and that 'Reefer Madness" was a documentary, but now things have changed. The difference is the synthetic marijuana trade. There is wide variety of things you could call synthetic marijuana. I may be overgeneralizing here, but I will lump these all together and call them fake weed.

In reality Americans buy weed or fake weed. the law enforcement community has done something about weed but they have not stopped us from getting it. They may arrest the guy you used to buy weed from, but you will just find someone else to buy it from.

But now, if the guy you bought weed from is in jail you might buy some fake weed from somebody else. Therefore the result of the laws against marijuana is the fake weed business. Fake weed has many dangers that weed does not have. Weed that is 100% natural grows in the dirt and there would be no need to mix in anything with it, unless you want to get into the fake weed business. Most pot heads will tell you that fake weed is ****, but a demand for this **** has been created by limiting the supply of real weed.
If any of the problems mentioned above do exist, fake weed has made them worse, and this is your tax dollars at work.

This is also a great point, most of the synthetic drugs out there are much more dangerous than marijuana itself is.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:01:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/21/2015 7:54:14 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
For those of you that think weed should remain illegal please post 3 good reasons for why. Those reasons will all be debunked once and for all!

I don't see any benefits from legalizing marijuana. It would be great to have fewer prison inmates incarcerated over this issue - but society could handle that with decriminalization, not legalization.

Maybe you could list some benefits to legalization?
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:04:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Blacks are the highest incarcerated group under the old weed laws. By legalizing marijuana America has not only pissed off the drug cartels in Mexico. They have also released more blacks into the communities.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:18:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 1:04:57 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Blacks are the highest incarcerated group under the old weed laws. By legalizing marijuana America has not only pissed off the drug cartels in Mexico. They have also released more blacks into the communities.

Please explain... Are you trying to say that there are more blacks purchasing weed now? Or that there are literally more black people in America today, because there is weed available? If the latter, where did they come from?

Maybe if we start mass producing uggs and iPads, there will be more white women around...
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:22:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 1:01:49 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/21/2015 7:54:14 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
For those of you that think weed should remain illegal please post 3 good reasons for why. Those reasons will all be debunked once and for all!

I don't see any benefits from legalizing marijuana. It would be great to have fewer prison inmates incarcerated over this issue - but society could handle that with decriminalization, not legalization.

Maybe you could list some benefits to legalization?

First off it's a free country, unless a significant public danger can be demonstrated due to a certain activity then It should be legal. Is there a benifit to eating fatty foods such as McDonald's? No there isn't, in fact it's more of a detriment than benefit. However the negatives aren't so great as to declare it a significant danger to the public and hence it is legal. The same principal applys to alcohol, and cigarettes which are the worst of all vices. Marijuana does not pose a significant danger to the public as long as it's use is restricted to individuals 18+ or 21+ and regulations are put in place to restrict people from driving while intoxicated.

All things should be legal until significant evidence can be demonstrated to suggest otherwise. Much of the evidence presented to make marijuana illegal is either false or inaccurate. Claims that it kills brain cells, that it is a gateway drug, that it's causes people to become violent, are all either false or lacking in sufficient evidence. There is no case for marijuana to be illegal in the first place. If YOU feel something should be illegal than the burden of proof is on YOU to demonstrate why.
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:27:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 1:18:24 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:04:57 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Blacks are the highest incarcerated group under the old weed laws. By legalizing marijuana America has not only pissed off the drug cartels in Mexico. They have also released more blacks into the communities.

Please explain... Are you trying to say that there are more blacks purchasing weed now? Or that there are literally more black people in America today, because there is weed available? If the latter, where did they come from?

Maybe if we start mass producing uggs and iPads, there will be more white women around...

If you look up the statistics you'll find that although whites use marijuana at the same rates as blacks and Hispanics, blacks and Hispanics are arrested and incarcerated more frequently for the same crime. I think this is the point that he was getting at.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:27:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 1:18:24 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:04:57 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Blacks are the highest incarcerated group under the old weed laws. By legalizing marijuana America has not only pissed off the drug cartels in Mexico. They have also released more blacks into the communities.

Please explain... Are you trying to say that there are more blacks purchasing weed now? Or that there are literally more black people in America today, because there is weed available? If the latter, where did they come from?

Maybe if we start mass producing uggs and iPads, there will be more white women around...

Now that pot has been legalized many of the blacks who were incarcerated for smoking or possessing pot when it was a criminal offence are having their sentences reduced because the law has changed. This has the effect of releasing more blacks into communities.
Fuzzed
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:42:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 1:01:49 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/21/2015 7:54:14 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
For those of you that think weed should remain illegal please post 3 good reasons for why. Those reasons will all be debunked once and for all!

I don't see any benefits from legalizing marijuana. It would be great to have fewer prison inmates incarcerated over this issue - but society could handle that with decriminalization, not legalization.

Maybe you could list some benefits to legalization?

Alcohol is a few dozen times more toxic then weed.

You couldnt actively consume enough weed to reach the dose needed to kill you (about 8 kilos), but people alcohol poisoning can easily occur, and does.

Marijuana is known to make people tired and calm.
Alcohol makes people aggressive and violent.

There are no known systematic diseases caused by a lifetime of ingesting weed.
There have been multiple systematic diseases known to be directly connected to as little as a decade of hard drinking since the beginning of the last century.

Marijuana is a class 1 Federal drug.. meth is a class 2.

Alcohol is fully legal and easily obtainable

Please explain why Marijuana is should remain illegal (even with decriminalization) but Alcohol should remain fully legal.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:18:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
"Maybe you could list some benefits to legalization?"
A heavy tax could be put on it. There are many governments who are short on cash and really need this money.
If you had anorexia nervosa, smoking weed would make you hungry and you would care less about gaining weight.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:28:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Fess up, people.
You sell weed, and you need this money real bad.
If people could buy weed from Walmart you would out of a job. This is the real reason why you don't want 420 legalized.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:08:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 1:22:17 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
First off it's a free country, unless a significant public danger can be demonstrated due to a certain activity then It should be legal. Is there a benifit to eating fatty foods such as McDonald's? No there isn't, in fact it's more of a detriment than benefit. However the negatives aren't so great as to declare it a significant danger to the public and hence it is legal. The same principal applys to alcohol, and cigarettes which are the worst of all vices. Marijuana does not pose a significant danger to the public as long as it's use is restricted to individuals 18+ or 21+ and regulations are put in place to restrict people from driving while intoxicated.

All things should be legal until significant evidence can be demonstrated to suggest otherwise. Much of the evidence presented to make marijuana illegal is either false or inaccurate. Claims that it kills brain cells, that it is a gateway drug, that it's causes people to become violent, are all either false or lacking in sufficient evidence. There is no case for marijuana to be illegal in the first place. If YOU feel something should be illegal than the burden of proof is on YOU to demonstrate why.

I don't like the 'it's a free country' argument. I could make the same comment about any law, it's very applicable and very vague.

I disagree that "all things should be legal until significant evidence can be demonstrated to suggest otherwise." This is a reactionary perspective, I prefer a preventative approach.

I would prefer that marijuana remain illegal until the ramifications from it's legalization are fully understood. Colorado is our guinea pig.

I fully favor decriminalization.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:09:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 1:27:33 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:18:24 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:04:57 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Blacks are the highest incarcerated group under the old weed laws. By legalizing marijuana America has not only pissed off the drug cartels in Mexico. They have also released more blacks into the communities.

Please explain... Are you trying to say that there are more blacks purchasing weed now? Or that there are literally more black people in America today, because there is weed available? If the latter, where did they come from?

Maybe if we start mass producing uggs and iPads, there will be more white women around...

Now that pot has been legalized many of the blacks who were incarcerated for smoking or possessing pot when it was a criminal offence are having their sentences reduced because the law has changed. This has the effect of releasing more blacks into communities.

I fail to see the problem here.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:11:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/28/2015 1:42:37 PM, Fuzzed wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:01:49 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/21/2015 7:54:14 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
For those of you that think weed should remain illegal please post 3 good reasons for why. Those reasons will all be debunked once and for all!

I don't see any benefits from legalizing marijuana. It would be great to have fewer prison inmates incarcerated over this issue - but society could handle that with decriminalization, not legalization.

Maybe you could list some benefits to legalization?

Alcohol is a few dozen times more toxic then weed.

You couldnt actively consume enough weed to reach the dose needed to kill you (about 8 kilos), but people alcohol poisoning can easily occur, and does.

Marijuana is known to make people tired and calm.
Alcohol makes people aggressive and violent.

There are no known systematic diseases caused by a lifetime of ingesting weed.
There have been multiple systematic diseases known to be directly connected to as little as a decade of hard drinking since the beginning of the last century.

Marijuana is a class 1 Federal drug.. meth is a class 2.

Alcohol is fully legal and easily obtainable



Please explain why Marijuana is should remain illegal (even with decriminalization) but Alcohol should remain fully legal.

Your post simply is not related to my question. Why should marijuana be legalized?

All those who have replied to my post have the same argument - that there are no known detriments. Are there any known benefits?
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:19:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 11:09:38 AM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:27:33 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:18:24 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:04:57 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Blacks are the highest incarcerated group under the old weed laws. By legalizing marijuana America has not only pissed off the drug cartels in Mexico. They have also released more blacks into the communities.

Please explain... Are you trying to say that there are more blacks purchasing weed now? Or that there are literally more black people in America today, because there is weed available? If the latter, where did they come from?

Maybe if we start mass producing uggs and iPads, there will be more white women around...

Now that pot has been legalized many of the blacks who were incarcerated for smoking or possessing pot when it was a criminal offence are having their sentences reduced because the law has changed. This has the effect of releasing more blacks into communities.

I fail to see the problem here.

Haven't you seen the news where black communities are imploding across the country. Releasing more felons into these communities just compounds the problem.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:23:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 11:19:36 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 4/29/2015 11:09:38 AM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:27:33 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:18:24 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:04:57 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Blacks are the highest incarcerated group under the old weed laws. By legalizing marijuana America has not only pissed off the drug cartels in Mexico. They have also released more blacks into the communities.

Please explain... Are you trying to say that there are more blacks purchasing weed now? Or that there are literally more black people in America today, because there is weed available? If the latter, where did they come from?

Maybe if we start mass producing uggs and iPads, there will be more white women around...

Now that pot has been legalized many of the blacks who were incarcerated for smoking or possessing pot when it was a criminal offence are having their sentences reduced because the law has changed. This has the effect of releasing more blacks into communities.

I fail to see the problem here.

Haven't you seen the news where black communities are imploding across the country. Releasing more felons into these communities just compounds the problem.

I'm aware. Perhaps you should phrase it differently. The problem is more felons in communities, not blacks in communities.
Fuzzed
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:32:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 11:11:59 AM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:42:37 PM, Fuzzed wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:01:49 PM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/21/2015 7:54:14 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
For those of you that think weed should remain illegal please post 3 good reasons for why. Those reasons will all be debunked once and for all!

I don't see any benefits from legalizing marijuana. It would be great to have fewer prison inmates incarcerated over this issue - but society could handle that with decriminalization, not legalization.

Maybe you could list some benefits to legalization?

Alcohol is a few dozen times more toxic then weed.

You couldnt actively consume enough weed to reach the dose needed to kill you (about 8 kilos), but people alcohol poisoning can easily occur, and does.

Marijuana is known to make people tired and calm.
Alcohol makes people aggressive and violent.

There are no known systematic diseases caused by a lifetime of ingesting weed.
There have been multiple systematic diseases known to be directly connected to as little as a decade of hard drinking since the beginning of the last century.

Marijuana is a class 1 Federal drug.. meth is a class 2.

Alcohol is fully legal and easily obtainable



Please explain why Marijuana is should remain illegal (even with decriminalization) but Alcohol should remain fully legal.

Your post simply is not related to my question. Why should marijuana be legalized?

All those who have replied to my post have the same argument - that there are no known detriments. Are there any known benefits?

Maybe were all posting the same thing because you seem to be missing the point.
Why does something have to have a benefit to be legal?
Heart disease is the number one killer of american men and obesity is the most expensive debacle put on the american health care system.

Its called personal freedoms. Some pople like ingesting cake, others like ingesting weed. No one should have to give you or anyone else reasons why.

See, there are a dozen medicinal uses for weed, from the outright severe ( Multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's, severe forms of Epilepsy), to small things like non-pregnancy related morning sickness (suffer from it since age 17 whenever its hot and moist out).

Were not going to these obvious things because its not the point, the point is personal freedom. We dont tell you that anything unhealthy or that we dont agree with should be prosecuted by the law, why the hell should you be allowed to do the same?
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 2:52:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 11:08:42 AM, Praesentya wrote:
At 4/28/2015 1:22:17 PM, jkerr3 wrote:
First off it's a free country, unless a significant public danger can be demonstrated due to a certain activity then It should be legal. Is there a benifit to eating fatty foods such as McDonald's? No there isn't, in fact it's more of a detriment than benefit. However the negatives aren't so great as to declare it a significant danger to the public and hence it is legal. The same principal applys to alcohol, and cigarettes which are the worst of all vices. Marijuana does not pose a significant danger to the public as long as it's use is restricted to individuals 18+ or 21+ and regulations are put in place to restrict people from driving while intoxicated.

All things should be legal until significant evidence can be demonstrated to suggest otherwise. Much of the evidence presented to make marijuana illegal is either false or inaccurate. Claims that it kills brain cells, that it is a gateway drug, that it's causes people to become violent, are all either false or lacking in sufficient evidence. There is no case for marijuana to be illegal in the first place. If YOU feel something should be illegal than the burden of proof is on YOU to demonstrate why.

I don't like the 'it's a free country' argument. I could make the same comment about any law, it's very applicable and very vague.

I disagree that "all things should be legal until significant evidence can be demonstrated to suggest otherwise." This is a reactionary perspective, I prefer a preventative approach.

I would prefer that marijuana remain illegal until the ramifications from it's legalization are fully understood. Colorado is our guinea pig.

I fully favor decriminalization.

What you like and dont like is irrelevant here. This is a matter of what are the limitations of the law. You cant just arbitrarily deiced that something is dangerous and thus be illegal. You have to demonstrate facts and evidence that prove it is dangerous first, disliking something is not a legitimate reason for it to be illegal.

The preventative approach is 100% applicable when evidence is presented to back it up. For example there is a significant amount of evidence that speeding is dangerous, so a preventative approach was taken by setting speed limits in an effort to make drives drive more slowly thus preventing car accidents. But the evidence had to be provided FIRST that speeding increases the likelihood of an accident.... You cant just arbitrarily decide it's dangerous to speed, you must support it with evidence.

As for decriminalization, that is much more dangerous than legalization or outlawing. The big problem with drugs being illegal is that drug dealers kill each other and innocent bystanders in attempt to control the drug trade. By decriminalizing drugs you just create an even bigger market for drug dealers and gangs to make money. And in the criminal world a potential for higher profit means more violence amongst competitors to get access to that profit.

Why not legalize marijuana and be able to have a greater degree of control over who sells it, where its sold, and who can buy it. And speaking of Colorado in the past year since weed has been legalized violent crime has decreased by 11%, traffic fatalities have dropped, unemployment is at a record low, and the state has earned over 40 million in tax revenue from its legalization, see drugpolicy.org article for details "http://www.drugpolicy.org...;. How much time do you need for these facts to be ingrained into your skull? 2 years..... 3 years?
jkerr3
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 11:28:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/24/2015 1:39:33 PM, Fuzzed wrote:
Sadly ive seen republicans in forums, and they really mean when they say this.

Then when you ask them why alcohol is legal, it gets very sketchy.

"Q***r" is thrown around alot

Unfortunately there's a lot of hypocrites in the world.....