Jump to topic:

The Role of Government

kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 3:00:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want to do a debate on this in the future, before I do that I am interesting in hearing what people think in regards to the proper role of government in society.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:39:53 PM
At 4/22/2015 3:00:52 PM, kasmic wrote:
I want to do a debate on this in the future, before I do that I am interesting in hearing what people think in regards to the proper role of government in society.

The role of government should only be common force to protect individual negative rights.

A person must be able to protect their life, property, and liberty, even by force. Common force of government should only be an extension of what can do individuals. A person can not seize property from other and transfer that property to a third party, yet many people want a government to do this. Governments became the weapon of greed. Instead of checking crime, government is guilty of the crimes it is supposed to punish.

For any real debate on the role of government Bastiat's "The Law" ( fee.org/files/doclib/20121116_TheLaw.pdf ) should be a source document.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 4:05:43 PM

From a utilitarian standpoint, government is meant to satisfy as many people as possible.
You can call me Mark if you like.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 4:06:22 PM
At 4/22/2015 9:39:53 PM, Chang29 wrote:

The role of government should only be common force to protect individual negative rights.

A person must be able to protect their life, property, and liberty, even by force. Common force of government should only be an extension of what can do individuals. A person can not seize property from other and transfer that property to a third party, yet many people want a government to do this. Governments became the weapon of greed. Instead of checking crime, government is guilty of the crimes it is supposed to punish.

For any real debate on the role of government Bastiat's "The Law" ( fee.org/files/doclib/20121116_TheLaw.pdf ) should be a source document.

What objectively defines "property"?
You can call me Mark if you like.
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 8:31:52 PM
At 4/25/2015 4:06:22 PM, debate_power wrote:
At 4/22/2015 9:39:53 PM, Chang29 wrote:

What objectively defines "property"?

Property starts with a person's physical body with a extension from that point. Ownership of land and goods can be acquired only by means of a voluntary transfer. For land or goods without an owner, ownership is comes by transforming the unclaimed land or good.

Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 8:56:12 PM
At 4/25/2015 4:05:43 PM, debate_power wrote:

From a utilitarian standpoint, government is meant to satisfy as many people as possible.

From a utilitarian standpoint:
What is the source of government legitimacy to satisfy?

What should the 49% unsatisfied do?