Total Posts:109|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The black community has failed it's youth ...

ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 9:35:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
... and it's youth have let down the honor built by their civil rights ansestors. Baltimore is an example of this. I am very sorry to say, I am ashamed of their actions as an American.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 9:51:57 PM
At 4/27/2015 9:50:37 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You have no idea what you're talking about. Be quiet.
Tsar of DDO
ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 9:54:06 PM

Why do you want to silence me? Their actions are disgraceful. MLK would have hung his head if he could bear witness to tonights events.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 9:59:32 PM
At 4/27/2015 9:54:06 PM, ZenoCitium wrote:

Why do you want to silence me? Their actions are disgraceful. MLK would have hung his head if he could bear witness to tonights events.

Again, you have NO idea what you're talking about. .

"Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results.

But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity."

-- MLK Jr
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 10:03:37 PM
"Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict
a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech,
Stockholm, Sweden, December 11, 1964
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 10:08:00 PM
At 4/27/2015 10:03:37 PM, ZenoCitium wrote:
"Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict
a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech,
Stockholm, Sweden, December 11, 1964

Take a look at this quote, and then take a look at the quote I posted. Then step back and realize that they aren't mutually exclusive positions and realize your ruminations on what MLK Jr. would feel about this situation are totally off base.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 10:09:00 PM
In your quote, Dr. King is not saying that he or we should support rioting. He is merely saying that it would be irresponsible to just condeme it outright. Instead, we should understand it's cause, however misrepresented it is.
ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 10:12:17 PM
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction ... The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 10:12:58 PM
At 4/27/2015 10:09:00 PM, ZenoCitium wrote:
In your quote, Dr. King is not saying that he or we should support rioting. He is merely saying that it would be irresponsible to just condeme it outright. Instead, we should understand it's cause, however misrepresented it is.

And what did you do in the op again?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:09:12 PM
At 4/27/2015 9:35:59 PM, ZenoCitium wrote:
... and it's youth have let down the honor built by their civil rights ansestors. Baltimore is an example of this. I am very sorry to say, I am ashamed of their actions as an American.

As an American you're ashamed of your fellow Americans, yet you blame the black community, as oppose to your own community (which is the same American community as blacks), for failing their youth. Ha.
ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:21:38 PM
As an American you're ashamed of your fellow Americans, yet you blame the black community, as oppose to your own community (which is the same American community as blacks), for failing their youth. Ha.

Yes, for the behavior of the black youth on the streets of Baltimore I blame, primarily, the black community. However, I see similar behavior from all American youth.
ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:22:43 PM

I'm interested in whom you believe to be responsible for their deplorable actions?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:29:03 PM
At 4/27/2015 11:22:43 PM, ZenoCitium wrote:

I'm interested in whom you believe to be responsible for their deplorable actions?

A combination of society and personal responsibility. It's fairly obvious that government and society in general has failed to address the problems of the black community (and caused many of them), we see cops killing blacks and jailing them in higher numbers. If you reject the racist notion that blacks are inherently more criminal then we must look at greater socio-economic trends. We find that racism plays a part (not the only part) in the lack of prosperity in the black community. That blacks of baltimore and ferguson are not rioting out of anarchist hatred but out of desperation for their plight to be heard. If shame is to be placed it should be on everyone for allowing our society to have a population live in such poverty and degradation.
ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:56:16 PM
A combination of society and personal responsibility. It's fairly obvious that government and society in general has failed to address the problems of the black community (and caused many of them), we see cops killing blacks and jailing them in higher numbers. If you reject the racist notion that blacks are inherently more criminal then we must look at greater socio-economic trends. We find that racism plays a part (not the only part) in the lack of prosperity in the black community. That blacks of baltimore and ferguson are not rioting out of anarchist hatred but out of desperation for their plight to be heard. If shame is to be placed it should be on everyone for allowing our society to have a population live in such poverty and degradation.

So racsim is the reason that rioters have looted businesses in Baltimore? How so?

Did you know police homicides are incredibly few and far between and that there are more whites killed by cops than blacks, or that blacks are equally likely to be killed by a black officer as a white officer. Why is it that we have rioters after a criminal is shot to death when an officer is forces to defend himself from a vicious attack but no one hits the streets when an officer is killed in the line of duty?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:56:53 PM
At 4/27/2015 10:57:39 PM, ZenoCitium wrote:
I don't understand "black lives matter". Don't all lives matter?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:00:54 AM
At 4/27/2015 11:56:16 PM, ZenoCitium wrote:

So racsim is the reason that rioters have looted businesses in Baltimore? How so?

Did you know police homicides are incredibly few and far between and that there are more whites killed by cops than blacks, or that blacks are equally likely to be killed by a black officer as a white officer. Why is it that we have rioters after a criminal is shot to death when an officer is forces to defend himself from a vicious attack but no one hits the streets when an officer is killed in the line of duty?

You just don't get it.

When someone kills a cop they are thrown under the jail.

When a cop kills someone rarely are they ever held accountable.

And police brutatlity disproportionately effects the black community more than any other community. And a lot of that has to do with racism.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:01:56 AM

And you're doing your best to not understand the cause of the rioting.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ZenoCitium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:08:56 AM
At 4/28/2015 12:01:56 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

The riot is a statement against violence and brutality ... Made by burning down community buildings, burning cars in the streets and beating up cops. Does that make sense to you?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:12:27 AM

As I said, it's not the only reason. Racism creates fewer economic opportunities for blacks, less fewer economic opportunities creates less personal investment in the community meaning less reason to care about it's preservation. I mean can you blame them? They feel persecuted and we've been seeing clearly unjust unwarranted murders of blacks by cops. As I said, their reaction, as MLK did so many years ago, is a desperate plea to the public to listen. To paraphrase various black commentators, under the current system black people are chafing under injustice, and they are desperate to relieve themselves of this. They have tried politely and have been ignored, which shows how far civility gets when dealing with a racist opposition. Now it's time for more drastic action.

Yes, more whites are killed by cops then blacks, but whites outnumber blacks by nearly 5 to 1 (63% White > 13% Black). When we go by population percentages, more blacks are killed as a percentage [1]. And how do you explain 40% of all incarcerated people being occupied by 13% of the population [2]? Even if some of the unarmed black men killed were criminals by the slight definition of committing a crime (by that I'm a criminal too) being shot or choked to death is not the appropriate response and we have to question why the excessive force seems to occur in higher rates when cops deal with the black population. And as an aside, the issue should not be framed so much as white cops killing blacks, but cops in general killing blacks. Black cops are not in the same position or life style as the majority of their counter parts and thus lack a measure of empathy akin to their fellow officers.

[1] http://www.politifact.com...
[2] http://www.prisonpolicy.org...
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:17:26 AM
At 4/28/2015 12:08:56 AM, ZenoCitium wrote:
At 4/28/2015 12:01:56 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

The riot is a statement against violence and brutality ... Made by burning down community buildings, burning cars in the streets and beating up cops. Does that make sense to you?

Do the actions of an angry man always make sense? Instead of analyzing the actions themselves try to understand what caused the anger in the first place.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:21:35 AM
I guess we're only allowed to riot over football games.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:22:56 AM

By the way, here's a black mom trying to discipline her son. Do you think she's part of the failure you condemn the entire community to? https://www.facebook.com...
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:30:58 AM
"10,000 Strong Peacefully Protest In Downtown Baltimore, Media Only Reports The Violence & Arrest of Dozens"

http://blackwestchester.com...
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:33:30 AM
At 4/27/2015 9:35:59 PM, ZenoCitium wrote:

Are you generalizing the black community?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:34:15 AM
At 4/28/2015 12:21:35 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Nah, only white people are.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:35:47 AM
At 4/28/2015 12:34:15 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/28/2015 12:21:35 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Nah, only white people are.

Black people riot. They ruin their communities. They are a bad influence and need to be controlled.

White people get rowdy. Oh those crazy kids. Look at them living it up. Oh to be young again.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 12:48:16 AM
At 4/28/2015 12:30:58 AM, lamerde wrote:
"10,000 Strong Peacefully Protest In Downtown Baltimore, Media Only Reports The Violence & Arrest of Dozens"

http://blackwestchester.com...

If this doesn't shut down a thread, I don't know what will.
- lamerde