Jump to topic:

On Internet (and Academic) "Liberals"

Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 10:25:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If there's one thing to notice about internet "liberals" it's how they're hardly liberal at all.

In real life, liberals are what they are because they oppose anti-intellectual folk community common sense. They oppose might makes right power politics where the goal is to treat human nature in a cynical fatalist manner. Liberals don't believe in simply making appeals to popularity or emotions, but rather believe in being openminded to the diversity of humanity, and this goes beyond race, sex, age, and sexual orientation. It goes on about the traditions of institutions which are supposedly justified by the quantity of popularity, effectiveness, and longevity.

Internet liberals hardly embrace any of this.

I've actually gotten in the habit of printing internet conversations now and handing them to real life liberals, and most of the time, they're convinced that internet "liberals" are just conservative subversives who are trying to make liberalism look bad. That way, people become provoked into becoming conservatives to oppose liberalism.

The main problem with internet liberalism is its denial of personal responsibility, and prioritization of enforcement before legitimacy is only semantically different from real life conservatism's belief in rugged individualism and conforming to norms. On top of that, the artistic depiction of ideals online is no different from religious dogmatism where ideas aren't justified by being analyzed from beginning to end, but merely through historical precedent and emotional appeals.

I mean in real life, liberalism is recognized as a relativist ideology, but online, liberals are incredibly contextualist. They want to see certain words uttered in certain ways, and if you don't utter them accordingly, they just lash out at you. In real life, liberals understand syntax before semantics. They don't care about what you say. What they care about is how you say it. Internet liberals don't seem to understand how people can come from a diversity of backgrounds. Instead, they take certain backgrounds for granted rather than understanding how people can use the same words in different ways to express different ideas.

The bottomline is internet liberalism doesn't seem to really care about the ideology. In fact, it's become increasingly prevalent among internet liberals to embrace pragmatism, learning from experience, and the value of evidence. Unfortunately, these are the exact same premises that conservatives have always used in order to oppress creative thinking, being closedminded to what is yet to be actualized, and getting away with abuse when nobody's watching...

...so no, it doesn't seem like internet liberals are really liberal at all.
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 10:36:13 AM
I guess another thing about internet liberals is their obsession with sarcasm which real life liberals hardly seem to use at all.

Real life liberals understand that what's sarcastic is subjective. It depends on your real life beliefs, so if you're openminded to the diversity of human nature, then you understand that sarcasm should only be used among those who you know in advance believe in what you believe in.

In real life, it's conservatives who are obsessed with sarcasm because they believe in might makes right power politics. They believe in pragmatically, not ideally, expressing themselves, and forcing others to believe in what they believe in by having bad manners.

In real life, liberals call these people insensitive, so for internet liberals to behave this way, it doesn't seem like they're liberal at all.

Another thing is internet liberals are highly addicted to materialistic consumerism, but in real life, liberals are about culture and sophistication. They look down upon consumerism as being braindead and reinforcing anti-intellectual attitudes. They don't appreciate mass media or pop culture because they believe it encourages everyone to conform to simple-minded standards rather than really learning how to express themselves in a creative way.

Again, internet liberals embrace this simple-mindedness, so how are they being liberal at all?

Lastly, internet liberals seem to be all about equality and taking credit from those who apply themselves to become successful, but in real life, this is recognized as conservative anti-elitism where might makes right enables those born into power to constantly oppress those born into powerlessness. Conservatives are the ones who despise people overcoming their fate, but online, it's internet liberals who oppose free will and the actualization of potential.

I mean the number of contradictions between internet and real life liberalism is so much that it's not even funny. You have to be incredibly naive to believe that internet "liberals" are what they claim to be.
Gallader20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:48:02 AM
I think you give real liberals a bit too much positive credit because they are not perfect either. Nor are conservatives,but that doesn't mean you should dog them for the bad aspects and only the bad aspects.
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:24:27 PM
At 4/28/2015 11:48:02 AM, Gallader20 wrote:
I think you give real liberals a bit too much positive credit because they are not perfect either. Nor are conservatives,but that doesn't mean you should dog them for the bad aspects and only the bad aspects.

Fair point. I was just saying that internet liberals tarnish the positive aspects of real liberalism.
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:26:29 PM
I mean internet liberals are very dogmatic in jumping to conclusions on your positions on issues...

...but when you try to have a deeper discussion on ideology, they're hardly liberal at all.
Shadowguynick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 9:08:33 PM
I think its a bit hard to just group people into internet liberalism because anyone who is a real liberal also becomes an internet liberal when on the internet. What you seem to be describing is just maybe a more conservative liberal (libvative?)

Also I think sarcasm is just used in a way to humour others or yourself so I holf no grudge against anyone for that.
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 7:54:38 AM
At 4/28/2015 9:08:33 PM, Shadowguynick wrote:
I think its a bit hard to just group people into internet liberalism because anyone who is a real liberal also becomes an internet liberal when on the internet. What you seem to be describing is just maybe a more conservative liberal (libvative?)

Also I think sarcasm is just used in a way to humour others or yourself so I holf no grudge against anyone for that.

Why do real liberals have to become internet liberals?