Jump to topic:

Black Police Affirmative Action would serve j

GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 2:52:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Black Police Affirmative Action would serve justice well.

In light of Black over-representation in the criminal element, to have the same over-representation in the police forces would be the logical and intelligent thing to expect of a rational, and justice seeking people and society.

I suggest that Affirmative Action to place more Black men, and especially Black women, into our police forces would be serving justice and the American world well.

Are you Black and do you agree?

If you are Black and seek to be free and equal in your chosen country, then make it so.

If not, remain a second class citizen.

Regards
DL
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 4:21:11 PM
I read somewhere that 10% of cops are black, and 90% of the suspects black cops shoot are black. So, no, I don't think affirmative action would change much.
My work here is, finally, done.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:22:47 PM
At 4/28/2015 4:21:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I read somewhere that 10% of cops are black, and 90% of the suspects black cops shoot are black. So, no, I don't think affirmative action would change much.

You do not think we can improve on the 20 black to 1 white kill ratio?

Do you not think that a tad racist and are you will willing to let the police be known as a racist organization?

Regards
DL
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 5:47:29 PM
At 4/28/2015 5:22:47 PM, GreatestIam wrote:

Are you trolling or just stupid?
First, did I say it could not improve? No. I said affirmative action was not likely to improve anything.
Second, your stats are horribly flawed, as more whites are killed by police than blacks each year. At best, you are referring to the 21x more likely that young black men are shot than whites, but, that is based of population, not results, so even that doesn't get your 20 to 1 stat, since that stat is closer to 3 to 1, and many reports say that, overall, a black person is about 3x more likely to be shot than a white person, which means that actual shootings are 2 to 1 white deaths over blacks.

Do you not think that a tad racist and are you will willing to let the police be known as a racist organization?
I cannot answer this, as it is dependent on your false statements.

Regards
DL
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 6:57:12 PM

I've never heard that, though I wonder what that would look like with some context. For example, where are these shootings taking place? What communities do these Black cops serve?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:06:51 PM
At 4/28/2015 6:57:12 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I've never heard that, though I wonder what that would look like with some context. For example, where are these shootings taking place? What communities do these Black cops serve?

Oh, mostly urban areas, you know, where most of the people who are shot by police occur. I don't think there is any context that really matters, as I find the stat benign.

I'll try to find it. (Huffington post, I think, shudders), but maybe the stats are a little different. Maybe it was 90% of black cops serve in urban areas, and 75% of their shootings are blacks.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:10:50 PM

My bad.
Black cops account for 10% of cop killings, and their targets are black 78% of the time.
http://www.propublica.org...

I guess I don't know the ratio of black to non-black cops.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:36:20 PM
At 4/28/2015 7:10:50 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

My bad.
Black cops account for 10% of cop killings, and their targets are black 78% of the time.

Jesus there are a lot of young Black men being killed.
- lamerde

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:45:50 PM
At 4/28/2015 7:36:20 PM, Maikuru wrote:

My bad.

There's a lot of people being killed, period. If I recall correctly, it is only 418 per year. Which sounds like a lot, but over 100 police are shot in any given year as well.

Why do you suppose that young black men are the target of choice of police? Is it more likely racism or is it responsive to individual circumstances, in your opinion?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:51:52 PM
At 4/28/2015 7:45:50 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

My bad.

There's a lot of people being killed, period. If I recall correctly, it is only 418 per year. Which sounds like a lot, but over 100 police are shot in any given year as well.

Why do you suppose that young black men are the target of choice of police? Is it more likely racism or is it responsive to individual circumstances, in your opinion?

I think young Black men are more likely to be in a position to be shot by police, and I think police are more likely to shoot young Black men.
- lamerde

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 8:17:06 PM
At 4/28/2015 7:51:52 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I think young Black men are more likely to be in a position to be shot by police, and I think police are more likely to shoot young Black men.

I don't feel that answers my question.
I have not read this, but what do you make of this article, which appears to say that police are more hesitant to shoot black suspects? Is this just blue wall propaganda?
http://reason.com...
http://www.policeone.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 8:30:31 PM
At 4/28/2015 8:17:06 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

lol I was saying both of those factors are at play, as well as others. Race obviously plays a role in many instances, but that is not to say that it explains the entire gap.

I have not read this, but what do you make of this article, which appears to say that police are more hesitant to shoot black suspects? Is this just blue wall propaganda?

The first study looks like it was with non-cops, but both of the results make sense in our current climate. In an atmosphere of increased police accountability concerning Black shootings, I'd expect to see increased hesitancy when shooters are facing Blacks. I'd love to see the data on that second study.
- lamerde

GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 8:09:14 AM
At 4/28/2015 5:47:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

First, did I say it could not improve? No. I said affirmative action was not likely to improve anything.
Second, your stats are horribly flawed, as more whites are killed by police than blacks each year. At best, you are referring to the 21x more likely that young black men are shot than whites, but, that is based of population, not results, so even that doesn't get your 20 to 1 stat, since that stat is closer to 3 to 1, and many reports say that, overall, a black person is about 3x more likely to be shot than a white person, which means that actual shootings are 2 to 1 white deaths over blacks.

Regards
DL

Learn how to read stats.

The ration is 20 to 1 against blacks.

http://www.cnn.com...

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 8:20:34 AM

I am pleased to see such reports.
Imagine the kill rate if police did not hesitate.
20 to 1 is quite ugly and immoral enough.

I do not believe that report as it is not represented in the statistics.

Regards
DL
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:48:17 AM
At 4/29/2015 8:09:14 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL

Learn how to read stats.

Regards
DL

The first line from your source is EXACTLY what I said it would be:
"young black men are 21 times more likely to be shot and killed by police than young white men."

It is not a 20 to 1, it is more likely. The difference is HUGE.
Imagine this scenario:
In a community of 100 white people and 16 black people, one white man is killed by police and one black man is killed by police. What are the odds that a member of their respective race will be killed by police?
1/100 = 1%
1/16 = 6% (roughly)

Guess what, a black man is 6x more likely to die at the hands of police than a white man, even though the number of deaths are equal. It is not a 20-to-1 epidemic, it is closer to 3-to-1.
You learn to read stats and spin. It will do you wonders.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 10:03:15 AM
At 4/29/2015 8:20:34 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

I am pleased to see such reports.
Imagine the kill rate if police did not hesitate.
20 to 1 is quite ugly and immoral enough.

I do not believe that report as it is not represented in the statistics.

Regards
DL

Again, learn to read stats.
Would you like me to find a report that says blacks, overall (as opposed to 15-19 year old black men), are only about 2.5x more likely to be killed by police? (and at those levels, that means that whites are being killed in ratios of 2:1)

Assuming both of these stats are true, why do you think teenage men are the ones dying, and not the elderly or women? Since you know how to read stats, surely you realized how narrow the sample is for this statistic.

Is it an issue with police, or youth/black culture/circumstances, or both?
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 12:57:05 PM
This is a pure racial issue with a large dose of condemnation for the legal and political as well as educational systems in the U.S.

All those systems are in decay and will continue their downward trend if Americans do not wake up.

Regards
DL
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 8:22:17 PM
When my Great Grandfather was young he would go up to Harlem on a Saturday night. The streets were policed by 2 man teams, A Black cop, and a white cop.
Back then he and his white friends could go to the Apollo or the Savoy, and not be worried.
when Americans of all colors are working together, theres nothing we can't do.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 11:13:28 AM
I don't agree with that. I believe that when it comes to jobs such as doctors, fire fighters and police officers, there should be no AA involved. The reason I believe this is because these jobs are about saving lives. If I need surgery I don't want someone who was pretty good but just happened to be black or a women cutting my body open. If my house is being broken into or I am being attacked on the street i will call the police to help me and I expect the police officer, who will for the time being be responsible for my life, to have gotten into the police force on his own merits, not just because he happened to be black. If AA was used in the police force I and many others would be put in danger, as we would not be protected by the best cops, but rather the cops who happened to be a certain race and therefor were given the job. Also I believe that if a white man really wants to be a cop and works super hard for that job it would be cruel to deny him his dream because he happened to be white. We should choose our police men based on their ability to defend life and not the color of their skin.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 11:17:11 AM

My bad.

I just want to chime in quickly. There is more crime in black neighborhoods so there will be more cops called to those areas leading to more violent confrontations. Black areas are where many of the 911 calls are coming from and we can't ignore that.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 11:19:00 AM

There was a study that showed that due to all the media attention on black men being killed by cops white cops are 36 times less likely to shoot an unarmed black person than they are to shoot an unarmed white person.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 12:12:21 PM
At 5/3/2015 11:17:11 AM, Dilara wrote:

My bad.

I just want to chime in quickly. There is more crime in black neighborhoods so there will be more cops called to those areas leading to more violent confrontations. Black areas are where many of the 911 calls are coming from and we can't ignore that.

Doesn't really address the question of why it is young. black. men. being shot.
Not women, not hispanics, not middle aged black men. Young, black men.
I have a hard time seeing racism when the targeted group appears to be a specific subset.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 1:50:02 PM
At 5/3/2015 12:12:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/3/2015 11:17:11 AM, Dilara wrote:

My bad.

Doesn't really address the question of why it is young. black. men. being shot.
Not women, not hispanics, not middle aged black men. Young, black men.
I have a hard time seeing racism when the targeted group appears to be a specific subset.
A lot of the young black men who have been killed by police that we've seen on the news were involved in crime. Young black men are responsible for more crime than people of other demographics. Police are more likely to have encounters with young black male criminals and end up killing them. They are also more likely to to profile young black men.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 1:13:07 PM
At 5/1/2015 8:22:17 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
When my Great Grandfather was young he would go up to Harlem on a Saturday night. The streets were policed by 2 man teams, A Black cop, and a white cop.
Back then he and his white friends could go to the Apollo or the Savoy, and not be worried.
when Americans of all colors are working together, theres nothing we can't do.

Yes. But the trick is to get you guys on the same team.

Prohibition is proving to be one of the main culprits in this game.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 1:15:58 PM
At 5/3/2015 11:13:28 AM, Dilara wrote:
I don't agree with that. I believe that when it comes to jobs such as doctors, fire fighters and police officers, there should be no AA involved. The reason I believe this is because these jobs are about saving lives. If I need surgery I don't want someone who was pretty good but just happened to be black or a women cutting my body open. If my house is being broken into or I am being attacked on the street i will call the police to help me and I expect the police officer, who will for the time being be responsible for my life, to have gotten into the police force on his own merits, not just because he happened to be black. If AA was used in the police force I and many others would be put in danger, as we would not be protected by the best cops, but rather the cops who happened to be a certain race and therefor were given the job. Also I believe that if a white man really wants to be a cop and works super hard for that job it would be cruel to deny him his dream because he happened to be white. We should choose our police men based on their ability to defend life and not the color of their skin.

I agree and advocate e raising of standards and not a lowering of it.

Our system is flawed and needs a revamp.

Way too many police are killing way too many regardless of color.

Without A A the standards will stay where they are and that is not good.

Regards
DL
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 3:59:21 PM
At 4/29/2015 9:48:17 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Regards
DL

Learn how to read stats.

Regards
DL

"young black men are 21 times more likely to be shot and killed by police than young white men."

Imagine this scenario:
In a community of 100 white people and 16 black people, one white man is killed by police and one black man is killed by police. What are the odds that a member of their respective race will be killed by police?
1/100 = 1%
1/16 = 6% (roughly)

Guess what, a black man is 6x more likely to die at the hands of police than a white man, even though the number of deaths are equal. It is not a 20-to-1 epidemic, it is closer to 3-to-1.
Blacks are over 6 times more likely to commit crimes than white men. That's why they're more likely to get shot by cops. They are more likely to have confrontations with them.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 4:05:46 PM
At 5/8/2015 3:59:21 PM, Dilara wrote:

Blacks are over 6 times more likely to commit crimes than white men. That's why they're more likely to get shot by cops. They are more likely to have confrontations with them.

Thank you for saving me time and supplying me with this statistic.
However, statistically speaking, any single incident of anything is 6x more likely to happen to a black person than a white, since there are 6x more whites than blacks.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 4:12:01 PM
At 5/8/2015 1:15:58 PM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL
I believe that cops should be trained very very well. Police academies should only accept the best. People also shouldn't assault cops or commit any crimes for that matter. Police brutality affects people of all colors. African Americans are affected more so by it than other groups because they are more likely than other groups to commit crimes-- therefor more likely to get into confrontations with the cops
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 9:18:36 AM
At 5/8/2015 3:59:21 PM, Dilara wrote:
At 4/29/2015 9:48:17 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Regards
DL

Learn how to read stats.

Regards
DL

Imagine this scenario:
1/100 = 1%
1/16 = 6% (roughly)

Yes. And why is that?

Because we keep them poor and in ghettoes. Right?

Every ghetto, regardless of race or location will always have an over representation against the dominant group because that dominant group discriminates against them without a just cause.

That same over representation should be seen in the police force.

That is how the cycle of criminality and discrimination is ended.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 9:21:10 AM
At 5/8/2015 4:12:01 PM, Dilara wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:15:58 PM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL
I believe that cops should be trained very very well. Police academies should only accept the best. People also shouldn't assault cops or commit any crimes for that matter. Police brutality affects people of all colors. African Americans are affected more so by it than other groups because they are more likely than other groups to commit crimes-- therefor more likely to get into confrontations with the cops

Agreed.

Why? --- If not what I stated just above?

Regards
DL