Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

So, there are riots in Baltimore?

Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 12:27:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't really know what is going on in Baltimore, but I have a few questions:

1. It sounds like there is violence and looting, but there was this in Ferguson, too, right? So, why are these called riots, and Ferguson protests?

2. Were there protests that devolved into these riots, or was it just a rush to the streets to riot?

3. When did these protests/riots begin, in relation to Gray's death/investigation/indictment?

Also, on a related note, are protests a good thing, if they devolve into looting? It seems to hurt the cause and re-enforce the stereotypes that cause the racism they are fighting. What if, instead of protesting/rioting, blacks (they'd have to be black, not whites) gathered as a group (nothing too large to avoid being arrested) at the police station, and maintained a peaceful presence. Do you think this would be more likely to influence attitudes of the police, since they would have to see blacks being peaceful and caring about their community every single day?
My work here is, finally, done.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 12:44:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 12:27:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I don't really know what is going on in Baltimore, but I have a few questions:

1. It sounds like there is violence and looting, but there was this in Ferguson, too, right? So, why are these called riots, and Ferguson protests?


Ferguson had riots too. But the majority of it was peaceful protesting. Just like Baltimore.

2. Were there protests that devolved into these riots, or was it just a rush to the streets to riot?


Protests that "devolved' into riots, although that's misleading sine 95% of protestors were and are peaceful.

3. When did these protests/riots begin, in relation to Gray's death/investigation/indictment?


People have been protesting for a week peacefully.

Also, on a related note, are protests a good thing, if they devolve into looting?

Yes.

It seems to hurt the cause and re-enforce the stereotypes that cause the racism they are fighting. What if, instead of protesting/rioting, blacks (they'd have to be black, not whites) gathered as a group (nothing too large to avoid being arrested) at the police station, and maintained a peaceful presence. Do you think this would be more likely to influence attitudes of the police, since they would have to see blacks being peaceful and caring about their community every single day?

Maybe, but I don't see why they can't do that and protest in other places in baltimore.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 12:53:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 12:44:02 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:27:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I don't really know what is going on in Baltimore, but I have a few questions:

1. It sounds like there is violence and looting, but there was this in Ferguson, too, right? So, why are these called riots, and Ferguson protests?


Ferguson had riots too. But the majority of it was peaceful protesting. Just like Baltimore.

So, why is this being reported as riots? I don't watch the news much, but it was the Ferguson Protests turned ugly, as opposed to the Baltimore Riots.
Is this racism in journalism? Sensationalism, since people care more about the east coast/Baltimore than some small town in Missouri?

2. Were there protests that devolved into these riots, or was it just a rush to the streets to riot?


Protests that "devolved' into riots, although that's misleading sine 95% of protestors were and are peaceful.
Isn't that usually the case? It is never reported that way.

3. When did these protests/riots begin, in relation to Gray's death/investigation/indictment?


People have been protesting for a week peacefully.
In large scales, like in Ferguson? Why have I not heard of it? (well, not being on Facebook is probably why, so maybe this isn't as bad as it seems)

Also, on a related note, are protests a good thing, if they devolve into looting?

Yes.
Why? It mars the cause and the participants. It makes people angry, which hurts the cause. Maybe the protests should be secluded somehow, away from drifters and ne'er-do-wells, plus, this hurts the chances of those that don't care about the cause, or even those looking to destroy it, can't hurt it.

It seems to hurt the cause and re-enforce the stereotypes that cause the racism they are fighting. What if, instead of protesting/rioting, blacks (they'd have to be black, not whites) gathered as a group (nothing too large to avoid being arrested) at the police station, and maintained a peaceful presence. Do you think this would be more likely to influence attitudes of the police, since they would have to see blacks being peaceful and caring about their community every single day?

Maybe, but I don't see why they can't do that and protest in other places in baltimore.
Effect. What effect do they have in protesting in places that don't really have any power to do anything?
My work here is, finally, done.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:23:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 12:53:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:44:02 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:27:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I don't really know what is going on in Baltimore, but I have a few questions:

1. It sounds like there is violence and looting, but there was this in Ferguson, too, right? So, why are these called riots, and Ferguson protests?


Ferguson had riots too. But the majority of it was peaceful protesting. Just like Baltimore.

So, why is this being reported as riots? I don't watch the news much, but it was the Ferguson Protests turned ugly, as opposed to the Baltimore Riots.
Is this racism in journalism? Sensationalism, since people care more about the east coast/Baltimore than some small town in Missouri?


Probably both.

2. Were there protests that devolved into these riots, or was it just a rush to the streets to riot?


Protests that "devolved' into riots, although that's misleading sine 95% of protestors were and are peaceful.
Isn't that usually the case? It is never reported that way.


Pretty much.

3. When did these protests/riots begin, in relation to Gray's death/investigation/indictment?


People have been protesting for a week peacefully.
In large scales, like in Ferguson? Why have I not heard of it? (well, not being on Facebook is probably why, so maybe this isn't as bad as it seems)


In very large scales. Up to 10,000 people and more and one time. The protests weren't getting a lot of national coverage until the riots happened.

Also, on a related note, are protests a good thing, if they devolve into looting?

Yes.
Why? It mars the cause and the participants. It makes people angry, which hurts the cause. Maybe the protests should be secluded somehow, away from drifters and ne'er-do-wells, plus, this hurts the chances of those that don't care about the cause, or even those looking to destroy it, can't hurt it.


Because the protests are a good thing. It's impossible to screen every participant. If people get angry, oh well. It's unfortunate that some will only pay attention while they are behaving badly and destructively, but...

It seems to hurt the cause and re-enforce the stereotypes that cause the racism they are fighting. What if, instead of protesting/rioting, blacks (they'd have to be black, not whites) gathered as a group (nothing too large to avoid being arrested) at the police station, and maintained a peaceful presence. Do you think this would be more likely to influence attitudes of the police, since they would have to see blacks being peaceful and caring about their community every single day?

Maybe, but I don't see why they can't do that and protest in other places in baltimore.
Effect. What effect do they have in protesting in places that don't really have any power to do anything?

So they can be seen. This isn't just a protest about police brutality; the case was just the straw that broke the camel's back (no pun intended). Just like in Ferguson, the protests weren't just about Michael Brown.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:56:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 12:27:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Also, on a related note, are protests a good thing, if they devolve into looting? It seems to hurt the cause and re-enforce the stereotypes that cause the racism they are fighting. What if, instead of protesting/rioting, blacks (they'd have to be black, not whites) gathered as a group (nothing too large to avoid being arrested) at the police station, and maintained a peaceful presence. Do you think this would be more likely to influence attitudes of the police, since they would have to see blacks being peaceful and caring about their community every single day?

Protests and riots are two separate things. Are football games a good thing if they devolve into riots?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:26:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 5:56:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:27:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Also, on a related note, are protests a good thing, if they devolve into looting? It seems to hurt the cause and re-enforce the stereotypes that cause the racism they are fighting. What if, instead of protesting/rioting, blacks (they'd have to be black, not whites) gathered as a group (nothing too large to avoid being arrested) at the police station, and maintained a peaceful presence. Do you think this would be more likely to influence attitudes of the police, since they would have to see blacks being peaceful and caring about their community every single day?

Protests and riots are two separate things. Are football games a good thing if they devolve into riots?

I see your point, but I think it is a leap. Protests that become violent are related, if it is the same people doing both (which it is logical to assume). Football fans rioting because their team won the championship (WTF???) is unrelated, because it isn't just the fans at the stadium doing it.

Regardless, when riots do unfold, sports culture is, in fact, criticized.
My work here is, finally, done.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:26:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 9:26:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2015 5:56:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:27:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Also, on a related note, are protests a good thing, if they devolve into looting? It seems to hurt the cause and re-enforce the stereotypes that cause the racism they are fighting. What if, instead of protesting/rioting, blacks (they'd have to be black, not whites) gathered as a group (nothing too large to avoid being arrested) at the police station, and maintained a peaceful presence. Do you think this would be more likely to influence attitudes of the police, since they would have to see blacks being peaceful and caring about their community every single day?

Protests and riots are two separate things. Are football games a good thing if they devolve into riots?

I see your point, but I think it is a leap. Protests that become violent are related, if it is the same people doing both (which it is logical to assume). Football fans rioting because their team won the championship (WTF???) is unrelated, because it isn't just the fans at the stadium doing it.

Regardless, when riots do unfold, sports culture is, in fact, criticized.

Not nearly to the same level as when people are rioting over actual injustice.

And when it's mostly white people rioting over sports it's never put down to some special problem and/or pathology in the white community.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 3:36:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Violent protests don't hurt any causes. That is a myth. I'm sure at a guy level it feels like they are hurting their cause, but they aren't.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,246
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 6:48:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/30/2015 3:36:41 AM, Wylted wrote:
Violent protests don't hurt any causes. That is a myth. I'm sure at a guy level it feels like they are hurting their cause, but they aren't.

Personally, I am happy to see there are more torchings and less looting. Seems better ideologically.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 8:23:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/30/2015 6:48:21 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/30/2015 3:36:41 AM, Wylted wrote:
Violent protests don't hurt any causes. That is a myth. I'm sure at a guy level it feels like they are hurting their cause, but they aren't.

Personally, I am happy to see there are more torchings and less looting. Seems better ideologically.

I agree. Looting just hurts the integrity of your cause, but whatever. I wish they directed their outbursts by actually showing up at a police department and ripping it to shreds, but whatever makes them happy.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,246
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 3:30:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/30/2015 8:23:47 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/30/2015 6:48:21 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/30/2015 3:36:41 AM, Wylted wrote:
Violent protests don't hurt any causes. That is a myth. I'm sure at a guy level it feels like they are hurting their cause, but they aren't.

Personally, I am happy to see there are more torchings and less looting. Seems better ideologically.

I agree. Looting just hurts the integrity of your cause, but whatever. I wish they directed their outbursts by actually showing up at a police department and ripping it to shreds, but whatever makes them happy.

Didn't they set a gestapo police van on fire?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 6:34:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 9:26:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2015 5:56:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:27:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Also, on a related note, are protests a good thing, if they devolve into looting? It seems to hurt the cause and re-enforce the stereotypes that cause the racism they are fighting. What if, instead of protesting/rioting, blacks (they'd have to be black, not whites) gathered as a group (nothing too large to avoid being arrested) at the police station, and maintained a peaceful presence. Do you think this would be more likely to influence attitudes of the police, since they would have to see blacks being peaceful and caring about their community every single day?

Protests and riots are two separate things. Are football games a good thing if they devolve into riots?

I see your point, but I think it is a leap. Protests that become violent are related, if it is the same people doing both (which it is logical to assume). Football fans rioting because their team won the championship (WTF???) is unrelated, because it isn't just the fans at the stadium doing it.

Regardless, when riots do unfold, sports culture is, in fact, criticized.

Typically, it isn't the same people. Those that start with the peaceful protests are usually not the same individuals that are doing the rioting and looting. You'll find that most looters don't really care about the cause and just use it as a screen to cause destruction and personal gain.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"