Jump to topic:

George Carlin's "last words"

Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 10:51:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Not really his last words, but what some would consider a fitting final statement given his political disposition:

Carlin's words are golden.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 10:55:37 PM
George Carlin shows us that the conspiratorial view is really just common sense.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 12:23:57 AM
At 8/3/2010 10:55:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
George Carlin shows us that the conspiratorial view is really just common sense.

Conspiracies are by definition uncommon, dude.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 12:47:03 AM
At 8/4/2010 12:29:20 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Even if this whole conspiracy were true, I'm not particularly worried.

Same here.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 1:04:10 AM
At 8/4/2010 12:47:03 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Same here.

... Uh... Why wouldn't you be worried? You're the one who's always warning us about the Illuminati, and telling us about their plans to kill almost everyone on Earth and institute a tyrannical oligarchy.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 1:09:15 AM
At 8/4/2010 1:04:10 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Same here.

... Uh... Why wouldn't you be worried? You're the one who's always warning us about the Illuminati, and telling us about their plans to kill almost everyone on Earth and institute a tyrannical oligarchy.

I'm not worried because raising awareness about it will stop it from happening.

Not to mention, Carlin doesn't look too worried does he?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 1:17:59 AM
At 8/4/2010 1:09:15 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/4/2010 1:04:10 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Same here.

I'm not worried because raising awareness about it will stop it from happening.

Given the fact that almost everyone considers conspiracy theorists to be crazy people, I must posit: wat do

Not to mention, Carlin doesn't look too worried does he?

Probably because he was already an old man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 7:11:16 AM

Sure, if you see our sh!tty system of government as a giant conspiracy... which many people do. I'm not so sure it's rooted in mystical beliefs or the Illuminati as much as its rooted in $$$
President of DDO
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 4:53:07 PM
The video in OP was what killed George Carlin. The Illuminati took him out.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 6:38:38 PM
At 8/4/2010 7:11:16 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Sure, if you see our sh!tty system of government as a giant conspiracy... which many people do. I'm not so sure it's rooted in mystical beliefs or the Illuminati as much as its rooted in $$$

That's absurd. They don't give two flying sh!ts about money, they're stacked to the max in cash, not to mention, they control the money supply.

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws." -- Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 9:40:50 AM

Truth doesn't need to be commentated, just viewed with common sense.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 9:43:48 AM

If you are happy with brainwashing that's fine. For all the people here that say they think for themselves, talk is usually all they truly ever do.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:05:08 PM
At 8/5/2010 9:43:48 AM, kelly224 wrote:

If you are happy with brainwashing that's fine. For all the people here that say they think for themselves, talk is usually all they truly ever do.

That isn't quite what I meant.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 6:14:07 PM
Carlin was always funnier when he mocked people and language, rather than when political bias crept into his act.

That's pretty much true of most professional entertainers.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 6:21:47 PM
At 8/5/2010 6:14:07 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Carlin was always funnier when he mocked people and language, rather than when political bias crept into his act.

Quoted for accuracy
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 8:05:41 PM
At 8/4/2010 7:11:16 AM, theLwerd wrote:

This.

Lobbying is an important part of the "democratic" process. There's no conspiracy about it. Everyone knows its what basically sways most policy decisions. The last company I did an internship at openly told us in employee news bulletins how much they spent lobbying congress each quarter (it was a steel company so their primary point of interest was relaxing pollution regulations). How anyone makes the jump from buying friends in high places to ancient mystical societies controlling the world is beyond me.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 9:30:22 PM

That's because Carlin was a master of performance - after he make you laugh, he toys with another emotion of yours - anger - and is able to bring it to the surface quite elegantly. I am a musician and I can tell you that you need to play people's emotions with music in order to connect with them - a sad song can make someone cry if it is so visceral that it stimulates their emotion of sorrow. Music is hollow without emotion; a good song is only good if it is based off an emotion.

Carlin's craft is similar, in that he must stimulate your hysterical side in order to be successful. Carlin is able to do something that is very risky for a comedian, which is to use material that is based off of an emotion other than laughter. I would suspect that, as I have noted you and I don't agree on many political matters, that Carlin is unable to stimulate that emotion in you because you don't agree with him (who is similar politically to I) and therefore are not angry about his points. His success suggests that he is able to fan the flames of anger within most people; the real question is are we becoming angry because of injustice? Or are we nothing more than strings on Carlin's emotional instrument...
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 7:21:28 AM
At 8/5/2010 9:30:22 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

That's because Carlin was a master of performance - after he make you laugh, he toys with another emotion of yours - anger - and is able to bring it to the surface quite elegantly.

But he never made me angry; I usually just felt annoyed that he wasted time when he could have be funny. (After all, he was a professional comedian.) If he wanted to write a political book, more power to him; but serious political rantings shouldn't awkwardly squeeze into a book marketed as humorous.

I am a musician and I can tell you that you need to play people's emotions with music in order to connect with them - a sad song can make someone cry if it is so visceral that it stimulates their emotion of sorrow. Music is hollow without emotion; a good song is only good if it is based off an emotion.

With all due respect, political rants during stand-up comedy bits have nothing to do with the visceral, cathartic power of music. I play music, too. I also teach, which deals a lot with connecting to emotional people; but it's not a place for me to spout my own political rantings. There's a time and place for everything, and stand-up comedy routines are no places for political polemics.

(Bear in mind, this is different from being satirical and poking fun at famous people, including politicians, etc.)

Carlin's craft is similar, in that he must stimulate your hysterical side in order to be successful. Carlin is able to do something that is very risky for a comedian, which is to use material that is based off of an emotion other than laughter. I would suspect that, as I have noted you and I don't agree on many political matters, that Carlin is unable to stimulate that emotion in you because you don't agree with him (who is similar politically to I) and therefore are not angry about his points.

I used to be a liberal. I get it. I just don't like being bamboozled. I can separate his comedy from his politics; I just don't like when comedians pretend their performance stage is a soapbox (even if I tend to "agree" with the rantings).

From a profitability standpoint, professional entertainers should avoid alienating potential fans/clients, if they can avoid it. This isn't to say they should be devoid of emotion and individuality; but they shouldn't go out of their way to deceive fans with false expectations, either.

His success suggests that he is able to fan the flames of anger within most people; the real question is are we becoming angry because of injustice? Or are we nothing more than strings on Carlin's emotional instrument...

No offense, but you're trying to be too poetic and figurative here. I loved when Carlin made fun of people and language; to me, he wasn't funny when he got too political (beyond mere satire)---even back when I tended to agree with his politics.

That's all.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2010 10:29:14 AM
At 8/6/2010 7:21:28 AM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
At 8/5/2010 9:30:22 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

That's because Carlin was a master of performance - after he make you laugh, he toys with another emotion of yours - anger - and is able to bring it to the surface quite elegantly.

But he never made me angry; I usually just felt annoyed that he wasted time when he could have be funny. (After all, he was a professional comedian.) If he wanted to write a political book, more power to him; but serious political rantings shouldn't awkwardly squeeze into a book marketed as humorous.

I am a musician and I can tell you that you need to play people's emotions with music in order to connect with them - a sad song can make someone cry if it is so visceral that it stimulates their emotion of sorrow. Music is hollow without emotion; a good song is only good if it is based off an emotion.

With all due respect, political rants during stand-up comedy bits have nothing to do with the visceral, cathartic power of music. I play music, too. I also teach, which deals a lot with connecting to emotional people; but it's not a place for me to spout my own political rantings. There's a time and place for everything, and stand-up comedy routines are no places for political polemics.

(Bear in mind, this is different from being satirical and poking fun at famous people, including politicians, etc.)

Carlin's craft is similar, in that he must stimulate your hysterical side in order to be successful. Carlin is able to do something that is very risky for a comedian, which is to use material that is based off of an emotion other than laughter. I would suspect that, as I have noted you and I don't agree on many political matters, that Carlin is unable to stimulate that emotion in you because you don't agree with him (who is similar politically to I) and therefore are not angry about his points.

I used to be a liberal. I get it. I just don't like being bamboozled. I can separate his comedy from his politics; I just don't like when comedians pretend their performance stage is a soapbox (even if I tend to "agree" with the rantings).

From a profitability standpoint, professional entertainers should avoid alienating potential fans/clients, if they can avoid it. This isn't to say they should be devoid of emotion and individuality; but they shouldn't go out of their way to deceive fans with false expectations, either.

His success suggests that he is able to fan the flames of anger within most people; the real question is are we becoming angry because of injustice? Or are we nothing more than strings on Carlin's emotional instrument...

No offense, but you're trying to be too poetic and figurative here. I loved when Carlin made fun of people and language; to me, he wasn't funny when he got too political (beyond mere satire)---even back when I tended to agree with his politics.

That's all.

Your arguments are based on the fact that Carlin was not successful at what he did - he was - and you are more of an outlier than a representation of his "alienated" audience. I mean come on, if we could go back in history and make the changes to his routine that you are suggesting do you actually think he would have been more successful? We certainly wouldn't be talking about him on DDO anymore than we talk about Adam Sandler who was zero political and hence there is zero discussion about him because he's just not that interesting. If you look at this clip and don't see greatness then that's your personal opinion, but realize there are swarms of us that eat it up like candy. I posted this on FB and my friend "liked" it even though he is a hardcore Republican who, for example, stopped listening to Rage Against the Machine because he found out they were "left-leaning." Although I'm not sure why it took him so long to figure that out...
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 1:59:48 PM
Your arguments are based on the fact that Carlin was not successful at what he did - he was - and you are more of an outlier than a representation of his "alienated" audience.

How you derived anything even resembling the presumption "that Carlin was not successful at what he did" from anything I said---is completely beyond me.

I mean come on, if we could go back in history and make the changes to his routine that you are suggesting do you actually think he would have been more successful?

(1) You seem to substitute "successful" where I use "funny."

(2) Maybe he'd have had a wider audience. I don't really care, but generally, it's not prudent business sense to alienate potential clientele.

We certainly wouldn't be talking about him on DDO anymore than we talk about Adam Sandler who was zero political and hence there is zero discussion about him because he's just not that interesting.

I doubt either would care whether or not they were discussed on DDO.

If you look at this clip and don't see greatness then that's your personal opinion, but realize there are swarms of us that eat it up like candy.

I've seen all his HBO specials and read all his books. I was a little sad when I heard he died. I recognize now, and have pretty much always recognized, Carlin's "greatness." I don't think the clip highlighted that greatness, nevertheless.

I posted this on FB and my friend "liked" it even though he is a hardcore Republican who, for example, stopped listening to Rage Against the Machine because he found out they were "left-leaning." Although I'm not sure why it took him so long to figure that out...

(1) I'm happy for you and your friend.

(2) Rage's first album was their best, by far, despite it being radical-leftist. Good music is good music. They kinda stopped being good after a while, though (even before breaking/making up). That's why I stopped listening.

(3) I agree about your friend taking long enough to figure out RATM is leftist. They weren't exactly hiding their beliefs. (Side note: Zac Brown Band covers "Killing in the Name of" really well Live; I think they're covering/remaking it on their next album.)