Greatest Theat to World Peace?

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 8:37:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Source: http://www.wingia.com...

"WIN/Gallup International, the leading global association in market research and polling, has today published the results of its annual End of Year Survey which explores the outlook, expectations, hopes and fears of people from 65 countries around the world."

"US is considered to be the greatest threat to peace in the world, followed by Pakistan and China."

"The US was the overwhelming choice (24% of respondents) for the country that represents the greatest threat to peace in the world today. [...] Respondents in Russia (54%), China (49%) and Bosnia (49%) were the most fearful of the US as a threat. Western European respondents (14%) found the US to be the most threatening country."

Ah, surely I am confused as to why that many people perceive America as a threat to peace. Well, as the greatest threat to peace in the world. I wonder very much.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 10:15:08 PM
At 5/9/2015 8:37:07 PM, Mirza wrote:

"WIN/Gallup International, the leading global association in market research and polling, has today published the results of its annual End of Year Survey which explores the outlook, expectations, hopes and fears of people from 65 countries around the world."

"US is considered to be the greatest threat to peace in the world, followed by Pakistan and China."

"The US was the overwhelming choice (24% of respondents) for the country that represents the greatest threat to peace in the world today. [...] Respondents in Russia (54%), China (49%) and Bosnia (49%) were the most fearful of the US as a threat. Western European respondents (14%) found the US to be the most threatening country."

Ah, surely I am confused as to why that many people perceive America as a threat to peace. Well, as the greatest threat to peace in the world. I wonder very much.

I think that world peace isn't even a possibility, because the greatest threat to world peace is humanity. Wars are never avoided, only postponed, and the person who postpones it usually does it in a way which is advantageous to his would-be enemy. That's been true for all of history, it's true today, and it will be true millennia from now, until humanity becomes some sort of hive mind.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 10:19:18 PM

I'd be happy to list some reasons, but I don't want to waste my time if you are simply trolling. I just don't think it'd be that hard for someone of your intelligence to figure it out on your own.

I'll also say that the results don't surprise me too much.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 10:28:13 PM

This isn't very surprising at all (nor is it revealing), because for someone who doesn't choose America, the choice becomes really difficult as there are so many options to choose from, none of which really stick out as especially compelling.

If they asked "What country is the greatest promotor of peace", the US would probably still win, simply because it is such an easy country to go to.

If they asked "Is X country a threat to world peace", the US would probably fair better than China and Russia, and almost certainly Iran.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 10:38:53 PM
To be fair, as the most powerful nation the U.S. does pose the greatest potential threat to the world.
However, the United States, despite its very active military presence in the world, is not interested in going around exploiting and bombing countries.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 11:21:15 PM

- Hahhaha! Are you always this sarcastic?
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 11:17:46 AM
At 5/9/2015 10:19:18 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I'd be happy to list some reasons, but I don't want to waste my time if you are simply trolling. I just don't think it'd be that hard for someone of your intelligence to figure it out on your own.

I'll also say that the results don't surprise me too much.
I surely do know; so, worry not. Hearing your own reasons would be a pleasure nonetheless.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 11:26:09 AM
At 5/9/2015 10:28:13 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
This isn't very surprising at all (nor is it revealing), because for someone who doesn't choose America, the choice becomes really difficult as there are so many options to choose from, none of which really stick out as especially compelling.
Correct, and have you asked yourself why no other country is peculiar? I hope you share my opinion that China would be even more resented had it taken the same geopolitical path as America, because we have few cultural connections to China around the world. With America, we have a balance; on the one hand, we detest everything it stands for on a global scale, yet on the other hand, we love importing its products and enjoying their cultural goods in places like Europe. So, the fact that the US stands out is for a good reason, and one that the country and its people have brought upon themselves.

If they asked "What country is the greatest promotor of peace", the US would probably still win, simply because it is such an easy country to go to.
Exactly how does it promote peace? Which regions would agree with this assertion?

If they asked "Is X country a threat to world peace", the US would probably fair better than China and Russia, and almost certainly Iran.
No, it would not. People in the poll could easily have chosen those particular countries, but they did not. Why would Europeans, for instance, choose China over America? We have nothing to dislike China for in modern times whatsoever. America gives us plenty of reasons, especially because our leaders on the Old Continent have been mere American puppets in the last few decades. This is cause for divergence.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 11:28:31 AM
At 5/9/2015 10:15:08 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I think that world peace isn't even a possibility, because the greatest threat to world peace is humanity. Wars are never avoided, only postponed, and the person who postpones it usually does it in a way which is advantageous to his would-be enemy. That's been true for all of history, it's true today, and it will be true millennia from now, until humanity becomes some sort of hive mind.
You seem to perceive threat to world peace differently than what should be assumed, Sir. Even if world peace seems unavoidable, there can be a factor that is peculiar in its threat toward the same.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 11:32:52 AM
At 5/9/2015 11:21:15 PM, Yassine wrote:
- Hahhaha! Are you always this sarcastic?
Certainly not always, but the timing should be blamed on my intuition.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 1:55:47 PM
At 5/10/2015 11:26:09 AM, Mirza wrote:

Exactly how does it promote peace? Which regions would agree with this assertion?

Irrelevant questions. And I didn't suggest that any region agrees with that assertion overwhelmingly, probably only like 13 percent of people would choose US, but it would still be enough. That's why the question is deeply flawed.

No, it would not. People in the poll could easily have chosen those particular countries, but they did not. Why would Europeans, for instance, choose China over America? We have nothing to dislike China for in modern times whatsoever. America gives us plenty of reasons, especially because our leaders on the Old Continent have been mere American puppets in the last few decades. This is cause for divergence.

People can only choose one country, so it's not that simple. Among those who think that America is a threat to world peace period, probably around half choose America in this poll. And yet, among those who think Iran is a threat to world peace, probably like 25 percent choose it simply because of all the other options.

I can almost guarantee that if they asked the question "Is X country a threat to world peace", the US wouldn't stand out at all.

Take this poll for instance: http://www.japanprobe.com...

The US does not stand out. And yet, if they asked those same people "Which country's influence do you find most destructive" it's almost inevitable that the US would come out on top.

Consider the fact that the poll does not even rule out the possibility that 76 percent of respondents think Iran and Russia are greater threats to world peace than the US. It's obviously a flawed poll if your intention is to gauge which country people find most dangerous. The poll doesn't prove anything beyond the fact that 24 percent of people worldwide really hate the US (and most of that hostility comes from a few countries which are themselves completely ridiculous).
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 2:04:47 PM
It's surprising (and annoying) that no news article brought up these points when reporting this poll, despite being utterly obvious.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 2:51:14 PM
At 5/10/2015 1:55:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Irrelevant questions. And I didn't suggest that any region agrees with that assertion overwhelmingly, probably only like 13 percent of people would choose US, but it would still be enough. That's why the question is deeply flawed.
The questions were not intended to modify the discussion, but add to it. I'm keen on knowing your reasoning, should it be so that you agree with the assertion.

People can only choose one country, so it's not that simple. Among those who think that America is a threat to world peace period, probably around half choose America in this poll. And yet, among those who think Iran is a threat to world peace, probably like 25 percent choose it simply because of all the other options.
It is simple, and the fact that you make it seem less so is interesting to me. People tend to follow international politics, and so even choosing the one nation that stands out is not a complex course of action.

I can almost guarantee that if they asked the question "Is X country a threat to world peace", the US wouldn't stand out at all.

The US does not stand out. And yet, if they asked those same people "Which country's influence do you find most destructive" it's almost inevitable that the US would come out on top.
No, the question is different and thus yields different results.

Consider the fact that the poll does not even rule out the possibility that 76 percent of respondents think Iran and Russia are greater threats to world peace than the US. It's obviously a flawed poll if your intention is to gauge which country people find most dangerous. The poll doesn't prove anything beyond the fact that 24 percent of people worldwide really hate the US (and most of that hostility comes from a few countries which are themselves completely ridiculous).
It shows what it intends: that 24% of people find the US to be the greatest threat to peace in the world. That the rest might disagree does not change the fact that if we ask most people, the one country that would still be singled out is America. As for a multiple-choice type of poll, this obviously would change the very nature of the polling, hence it is not carried out.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 4:34:08 PM

Agree with everything above.

Disagree with this statement. They did indeed conclude through their questions that "The US was the overwhelming choice (24% of respondents) for the country that represents the greatest threat to peace in the world today. "

I mean, it naturally follows that if you outspend the next 26 nations combined, including your enemies, in military spending, those 26 nations, along with everyone else in the world, is going to feel threatened.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 4:35:07 PM
At 5/9/2015 10:38:53 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
To be fair, as the most powerful nation the U.S. does pose the greatest potential threat to the world.
However, the United States, despite its very active military presence in the world, is not interested in going around exploiting and bombing countries.

What would you call the Iraq War then, especially once you divorce it from 9/11?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 4:29:44 PM
At 5/10/2015 2:51:14 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/10/2015 1:55:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

No, the question is different and thus yields different results.

The poll proves that America is not overwhelmingly hated by any means. It isn't useful to think of America as the "most hated nation", because a greater percentage of people like America than like Iran and Russia, etc. That's why your poll is practically useless.