Jump to topic:

How to end Native American reservation misery

Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:30:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The native Americans are often ignored by the government and the media. It's even worse than how minority on white isn't reported. Most Americans aren't aware of what life is like on an indian reservation.
About 1/3 of native Americans live on reservations. That's 700,000 people. 1/2 of all reservation Indians live in the top ten most populous reservations.
In 2010 the national poverty rate was 15.3%. On indian reservations it was 28.4%.
14% of native reservations have no electricity . 20% of reservation homes have no basic kitchen facilities.1/2 of reservation homes and 5% of all USA homes have no phone services.
The reasons indian reservations are so poor is because of indian boarding schools and relocations. Between 1879 and 1970 indian children were forced to attend schools so they could learn how to assimilate into white culture. They were beaten if they practiced their native traditions or spoke their tribal languages. Sexual abuse was also prevalent. This led to intense drinking and drug use. Some of the survivors of these schools would beat their kids because of their traumatic experience. Those kids who were beaten by their parents would beat their kids and it goes on. This is also why alcoholism, drug abuse and domestic violence are common ok reservations.
When they were forced off their land and made to live in reservations they lost recourses and food and had to rely on the government.
En.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservation-poverty.
It's the Wikipedia article on reservation poverty
How do you think we can end the suffering of reservation american Indians? Better schools on the reservations, jobs on the reservations?.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 10:36:54 PM
At 5/15/2015 9:30:04 PM, Dilara wrote:
The native Americans are often ignored by the government and the media. It's even worse than how minority on white isn't reported. Most Americans aren't aware of what life is like on an indian reservation.
About 1/3 of native Americans live on reservations. That's 700,000 people. 1/2 of all reservation Indians live in the top ten most populous reservations.
In 2010 the national poverty rate was 15.3%. On indian reservations it was 28.4%.
14% of native reservations have no electricity . 20% of reservation homes have no basic kitchen facilities.1/2 of reservation homes and 5% of all USA homes have no phone services.
The reasons indian reservations are so poor is because of indian boarding schools and relocations. Between 1879 and 1970 indian children were forced to attend schools so they could learn how to assimilate into white culture. They were beaten if they practiced their native traditions or spoke their tribal languages. Sexual abuse was also prevalent. This led to intense drinking and drug use. Some of the survivors of these schools would beat their kids because of their traumatic experience. Those kids who were beaten by their parents would beat their kids and it goes on. This is also why alcoholism, drug abuse and domestic violence are common ok reservations.
When they were forced off their land and made to live in reservations they lost recourses and food and had to rely on the government.
How do you think we can end the suffering of reservation american Indians? Better schools on the reservations, jobs on the reservations?.

Oh boo-hoo.

I can tell all your info and stats come from outside sources. Ya probably got it online. As I am guessing you have never set foot on a Rez.

I worked on the Pine Ridge, SD Rez for three years as a VA outreach counselor, as well as doing Voc Rehab stuff. I also currently live in Prescott, AZ, which is very near the BIGGEST Rez in the country--the Navajo/Hopi Rez up in the Four Corners. I work with Native American vets almost every day.

BTW..Pine Ridge is the 2nd largest Rez in the country. My best friend here and running partner is a Navajo. I minored in Native American studies in college when I took my Psych degree.

So I know a little bit about this subject. And from reading your Op it sounds like you are a bit naive about it, exuding knee-jerk liberal pathos and telling only half of the story.

Those Indian schools where they forced Natives to abandon many of their cultural practices and embrace white customs are long gone, amigo. By your own admission they ended in 1970. LOL--that's over 40 YEARS AGO! So...any rez native today under the age of 50 has zero exposure to them.

Do you know about all the government benefits and incentives available to Natives? Free health care? FREE college? Preference in employment opportunities via Affirmative Action? As well as myriad other government programs.

Do you know they all get paychecks every month from Uncle? For doing absolutely nothing? Do you know that alcohol is banned on the Rez? And substance abuse programs are FREE and plentiful and even carry cash awards for completion?

Thus..any drinking done on the rez is done with a strident disregard for rules and is nobody's fault except for that of the drinkers.

When I was working at Pine Ridge the BIA was awarded 6 million bucks for new home construction. Free cable! Phones!

Within two years of the completion of the homes, they were in total disrepair. utterly trashed. The natives used them to house their livestock in some cases!

Slavery? Do you know that amount of natives enslaved by other tribes against each other was far more prevalent than what the original white Western settlers and Army did in the latter three decades of the 19th century?

The Natives did not simply and peaceably coalesce out of the vapor on the prairie and go on to live idyllic and peaceful lives. They warred; killed each other; fought for land; and kidnapped and murdered white children and women. Not to mention U.S. soldiers.

Reparations have been ongoing to Natives for over 100 years. That's three generations. Yet..in many cases they simply refuse to take advantage and would rather wallow in self-pity and play that well-worn race card. And have white liberals--whom, BTW, they detest--advocate for their cause.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 11:17:02 AM
At 5/19/2015 10:19:39 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
The death throes of a culture aint pretty, no matter how much money you throw at it.

I agree.

But where I DISagree with the OP is where much of the blame for this particular culture's "death throws" should be placed. Yes...in many cases the Indians were treated horribly by the U.S. government in the latter half of the 19th century,--and even up through the early part of the 20th. But so were many of our cultures.

I am Irish. I know about the suffering and oppression of my ancestors at the hands of the Brits--whom I sometimes STILL have problems with--and also from the American populace, during that same time period, roughly. In many instances we were treated worse than blacks--or even Indians. ("Irish need not Apply").

But there comes a time when anybody who was oppressed, but then offered reparations and opportunity must "man-up" and take advantage. And I have seen precious little of this among Native Americans.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 4:58:28 PM
At 5/18/2015 10:36:54 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Oh boo-hoo.

I can tell all your info and stats come from outside sources. Ya probably got it online. As I am guessing you have never set foot on a Rez.

I worked on the Pine Ridge, SD Rez for three years as a VA outreach counselor, as well as doing Voc Rehab stuff. I also currently live in Prescott, AZ, which is very near the BIGGEST Rez in the country--the Navajo/Hopi Rez up in the Four Corners. I work with Native American vets almost every day.

BTW..Pine Ridge is the 2nd largest Rez in the country. My best friend here and running partner is a Navajo. I minored in Native American studies in college when I took my Psych degree.

So I know a little bit about this subject. And from reading your Op it sounds like you are a bit naive about it, exuding knee-jerk liberal pathos and telling only half of the story.

Those Indian schools where they forced Natives to abandon many of their cultural practices and embrace white customs are long gone, amigo. By your own admission they ended in 1970. LOL--that's over 40 YEARS AGO! So...any rez native today under the age of 50 has zero exposure to them.

Do you know about all the government benefits and incentives available to Natives? Free health care? FREE college? Preference in employment opportunities via Affirmative Action? As well as myriad other government programs.

Do you know they all get paychecks every month from Uncle? For doing absolutely nothing? Do you know that alcohol is banned on the Rez? And substance abuse programs are FREE and plentiful and even carry cash awards for completion?

Thus..any drinking done on the rez is done with a strident disregard for rules and is nobody's fault except for that of the drinkers.

When I was working at Pine Ridge the BIA was awarded 6 million bucks for new home construction. Free cable! Phones!

Within two years of the completion of the homes, they were in total disrepair. utterly trashed. The natives used them to house their livestock in some cases!

Slavery? Do you know that amount of natives enslaved by other tribes against each other was far more prevalent than what the original white Western settlers and Army did in the latter three decades of the 19th century?

The Natives did not simply and peaceably coalesce out of the vapor on the prairie and go on to live idyllic and peaceful lives. They warred; killed each other; fought for land; and kidnapped and murdered white children and women. Not to mention U.S. soldiers.

Reparations have been ongoing to Natives for over 100 years. That's three generations. Yet..in many cases they simply refuse to take advantage and would rather wallow in self-pity and play that well-worn race card. And have white liberals--whom, BTW, they detest--advocate for their cause.
I'm a independent and I'm against white guilt. I am aware that natives enslaved and killed each other and killed whites (like the Jamestown massacre in 1622 where 347 english settlers were killed by Indians). What did you do in pine ridge and Navajo nation? What is being done now about the conditions? And what was life there like?.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 5:17:12 PM
I worked for the Department of Veterans Affairs (the VA) back in 2009, based in nearby Hot Springs, SD when I was a "Veterans Outreach Counselor" on the Pine Ridge Rez.

I lived there actually on the Rez for a few months in a house with another BIA staffer, before moving back to Hot Springs and making the commute every day.

Geographically and geologically speaking, the Pine Ridge Rez is awesome. It is just south of the Black Hills area of South Dakota, down in the southern corner of the state, so the weather is not as cold as further north; and certainly not as bad as in North Dakota.

There is some interesting sandstone rock outcrops and features, mixed with wide open prairies and grasslands. Wide open spaces, baby. The Big Emtpy. I found it very spiritual at times, especially at night with the moonlight on the rocks. Lots of wildlife, too.

But the poverty is depressing. The utter desitution and unyielding sense of hopelessness that seems to permeate so much of the populace there. I always found it ironic that white tourists pay money to go visit places like the Black Hills on vacation, to enjoy the natural beauty, and then here you have the Lakota Sioux who live right there, but they do not appreciate it and even seem to dislike it and would rather live in Rapid City or somewhere where they can go to the bars all the time.

About the alcoholism: when I was there there was a big movement going on, a sort of protest among BIA people and other N.A. advocacy groups, who were trying to get alcohol sales banned in the nearby town of White Clay, Nebraska, where all the Indians went to buy booze. (Of course there are no alcohol sales on the Rez.) The White Clay is about a half hour drive away.

I once heard that 98% of White Clay's liquor sale come from the Pine Ridge denizens. And that one year they sold 4 million cans of beer!

So....the rez gets downright weird--almost surreal on payday night, which is on the first of the month usually. If you go driving around the Rez that night, and for the next three or four nights--until the Sioux have spent all their government $$ on booze--you will have to stop your car several times to keep from hitting drunken Indians who are literally staggering across the road. The Rez jails get filled-up. ER visits. Domestic violence. Feds have to come in from outside to help the Tribal Police handle it all.

It's like a zombie movie--like a plague has afflicted the whole Rez and they stagger around like the undead.

I reckon the word "plague" is fairly accurate in this case.

It's a shame, really.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 5:19:27 PM
I saw plenty of this first hand. I know that cop in the first pic...his name is Tony Kawallis and he used to work for the VA police.

http://www.msnbc.com...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 5:23:49 PM

Extinction.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:14:13 PM
At 5/19/2015 5:23:49 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Extinction.
Joking right?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:15:35 PM
At 5/19/2015 8:14:13 PM, Dilara wrote:

Extinction.
Joking right?

What do you think?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:59:44 PM
At 5/19/2015 8:15:35 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:14:13 PM, Dilara wrote:

Extinction.
Joking right?

What do you think?
Hmmmm. I don't know.... Lol I know your joking.