Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

What Liberals think about the Amtrak crash?

AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 2:05:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Due to a tough semester in school, I have been out of the political loop for about a month. I read about an Amtrak derailing in Philadelphia, and I noticed something about Liberals blaming the Republican House for cutting its funding. Can someone explain how this is more their fault than the driver himself? How can they tie this incident to a lack of funding towards infrastructure?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 2:18:40 PM
At 5/16/2015 2:05:39 PM, AdamEsk wrote:
Due to a tough semester in school, I have been out of the political loop for about a month. I read about an Amtrak derailing in Philadelphia, and I noticed something about Liberals blaming the Republican House for cutting its funding. Can someone explain how this is more their fault than the driver himself? How can they tie this incident to a lack of funding towards infrastructure?

More funding = higher pay = better drivers
Was the issue the driver or the track? If the latter, the funding issue should be obvious.
My work here is, finally, done.
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 2:38:02 PM
Was the issue the driver or the track? If the latter, the funding issue should be obvious.

Interesting point with the higher pay = better drivers, but hasn't it been confirmed that he was rounding the curve far too fast?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 2:44:57 PM
At 5/16/2015 2:38:02 PM, AdamEsk wrote:

Interesting point with the higher pay = better drivers, but hasn't it been confirmed that he was rounding the curve far too fast?

I have no idea.
And that is a true point, but one that is more of a talking point than anything else. Kind of like the better pay = better teachers. It doesn't pan out.
My work here is, finally, done.
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 3:11:46 PM
I have no idea.
And that is a true point, but one that is more of a talking point than anything else. Kind of like the better pay = better teachers. It doesn't pan out.

What is your opinion on that? Do you think the government should fund public schools more? What if the government backed out and allowed private schools to take over on education? I don't think I am experienced enough to know for sure, but I would assume if you left education to the free enterprise system, private schooling would fix that problem substantially.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 6:38:26 PM
At 5/16/2015 3:11:46 PM, AdamEsk wrote:
I have no idea.

What is your opinion on that? Do you think the government should fund public schools more? What if the government backed out and allowed private schools to take over on education? I don't think I am experienced enough to know for sure, but I would assume if you left education to the free enterprise system, private schooling would fix that problem substantially.

The private sector would never take over amtrak
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 6:46:54 PM
At 5/16/2015 6:38:26 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/16/2015 3:11:46 PM, AdamEsk wrote:
I have no idea.

The private sector would never take over amtrak

Sorry. I got side tracked. I was talking about public education.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:02:58 PM

I live in Philly, and it's all just bloviating. The train was rounding the corner at double the normal speed limit. There was already a solution in place; a sensor system which would automatically correct speeds to keep them within speed limits. That system hadn't been put online yet when the crash occurred, so it was just really bad timing + human error. Paying people more doesn't make them perfect; that's dumb.

Accidents happened. This one really sucked. We've already fixed it. The end.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:07:14 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:02:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I live in Philly, and it's all just bloviating. The train was rounding the corner at double the normal speed limit. There was already a solution in place; a sensor system which would automatically correct speeds to keep them within speed limits. That system hadn't been put online yet when the crash occurred, so it was just really bad timing + human error. Paying people more doesn't make them perfect; that's dumb.

I agree. I was confused on why the GOP was being blamed for a random tragedy.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 9:03:40 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:07:14 PM, AdamEsk wrote:

Scapegoats and diversions. Don't you know politics by now?
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 11:11:48 PM
At 5/16/2015 9:03:40 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Scapegoats and diversions. Don't you know politics by now?

They always do this. I was just confused on how they could possibly politicize this.
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 11:50:52 PM

I fail to see what this tragedy has to do with liberals, conservatives, or politics in general.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 12:52:27 AM
At 5/16/2015 6:11:45 PM, YYW wrote:
I think that politicizing tragedies is unethically opportunistic and unacceptable.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 9:59:59 AM

it is not a random tragedy. The argument is that the GOP cut funding which slowed the deployment of the Positive Train Control system. PTC is deployed in a majority of rails in the north east, but it was not deployed in that part of the track where this accident happened. PTC would have slowed the train down and eliminated engineer error. One engineer is not enough redundancy to eliminate accidents such as this. PTC or deploying a two engineer system would greatly reduce accidents like this.

It however is not "random". It is a calculated risk and we know that without PTC and only one engineer these types of accidents will happen. That is why congress that mandated PTC on all rails including freight