Jump to topic:

Texas bans fracking bans

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 12:59:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, local communities no longer have the right to reject fracking within their jurisdiction. It's becoming increasingly difficult to argue that this country isn't steeped in corporatism.

http://www.wsj.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 1:02:25 PM
At 5/19/2015 12:59:19 PM, thett3 wrote:
So, local communities no longer have the right to reject fracking within their jurisdiction. It's becoming increasingly difficult to argue that this country isn't steeped in corporatism.

Hasn't it always been?
But, as a matter of pragmatism, how can you control underneath you? It's not like I can say the utility lines under my property are trespassing.
My work here is, finally, done.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 1:10:03 PM
At 5/19/2015 1:02:25 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Hasn't it always been?

Nope. Read the article: "The bill guts 100 years of traditional municipal authority to regulate oil and gas operations,"

But, as a matter of pragmatism, how can you control underneath you? It's not like I can say the utility lines under my property are trespassing.

Sure, mineral rights are tricky but there's a much stronger case for local authority having jurisdiction over them than random corporations. Are you seriously willing to defend that local authorities should have no say in massive drilling operations in their jurisdictions?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 1:24:20 PM
At 5/19/2015 1:10:03 PM, thett3 wrote:

Hasn't it always been?

Nope. Read the article: "The bill guts 100 years of traditional municipal authority to regulate oil and gas operations,"
No, I meant caving to business.

Sure, mineral rights are tricky but there's a much stronger case for local authority having jurisdiction over them than random corporations. Are you seriously willing to defend that local authorities should have no say in massive drilling operations in their jurisdictions?

I'm not sure what I will defend in this situation.
Saying they can't dig is different than regulating how they dig, though.
I think the more massive the operation, the more massive the jurisdiction.
If I spend millions of dollars to do X in a 50 mile radius, and then, next year, someone 10 miles away says I can't do this, it really does mess things up.
So, in this hypothetical, I'd say it should be county by county, as opposed to city or township. Do you get what I am saying?

As corporations get larger, for better or worse, they need some level of protection for their contracts.
My work here is, finally, done.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 1:27:20 PM
At 5/19/2015 1:24:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/19/2015 1:10:03 PM, thett3 wrote:

Hasn't it always been?

No, I meant caving to business.

I'm not sure what I will defend in this situation.
Saying they can't dig is different than regulating how they dig, though.
I think the more massive the operation, the more massive the jurisdiction.
If I spend millions of dollars to do X in a 50 mile radius, and then, next year, someone 10 miles away says I can't do this, it really does mess things up.
So, in this hypothetical, I'd say it should be county by county, as opposed to city or township. Do you get what I am saying?

As corporations get larger, for better or worse, they need some level of protection for their contracts.

I can respect the position that maybe a tiny, 3 square mile town shouldn't be able to derail a multi million dollar operation everyone else has agreed to. But to just outright ban local jurisdiction...it's shocking honestly
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 3:02:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King