Jump to topic:

Huckabee defends admitted child molester

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 2:19:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Josh Duggar, executive director of the Family Research Council's political arm, as resigned and apologized for molesting several underage girls, including several of his sisters, while he was a teenager.

Huckabee has rushed to his defense, saying that the claims were 'sensationalized', and that "Josh's actions when he was an underage teen are as he described them himself, 'inexcusable,' but that doesn't mean 'unforgivable'."

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

This sort of hypocrisy is just stunning to me. I really can't wrap my head around how someone could be so demented as to say that incestuous, pedophilic sexual assault isn't a deal breaker, but we've got to stop those gays from marrying or adopting kids.

Want to take bets on how long it will take for his campaign to implode?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 2:24:23 PM
At 5/22/2015 2:19:03 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I hope he gets the nomination.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 4:06:10 PM
Josh Duggar, executive director of the Family Research Council's political arm, as resigned and apologized for molesting several underage girls, including several of his sisters, while he was a teenager.

Huckabee has rushed to his defense, saying that the claims were 'sensationalized', and that "Josh's actions when he was an underage teen are as he described them himself, 'inexcusable,' but that doesn't mean 'unforgivable'."

This sort of hypocrisy is just stunning to me. I really can't wrap my head around how someone could be so demented as to say that incestuous, pedophilic sexual assault isn't a deal breaker, but we've got to stop those gays from marrying or adopting kids.

Your intellectual dishonesty and zealotry is almost stunning.
TruthS4yer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 4:57:42 PM
Good to see one of them is guilty of exactly the type of thing that they inaccurately attempt to link to homosexuality.
Please avoid quoting all of large posts - it needlessly means we have to scroll through them to navigate a thread.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 9:57:53 PM
At 5/22/2015 4:06:10 PM, Objectivity wrote:

Your intellectual dishonesty and zealotry is almost stunning.

Lol, intellectual dishonesty? Coming from a block of people who constantly use the excuse that they want to prevent a slippery slope towards the acceptance of pedophilia, or look out for the interests of children, that is rich. If that were the case, this man would have been disowned utterly and irrevocably when it came to light that he had molested his own sisters. Instead, we see a string of tepid condemnations and finger-waggings, and in Huckabee's case a re-framing of the case which casts the predator as a victim. Please.

And I'm hardly a zealot. I've voted for more Republicans at this point than Democrats. I just know stunning hypocrisy and moral cowardice when I see it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 10:58:04 PM

There is no hypocrisy here.
Josh Duggar's behavior was dealt with and he did, with the help of his parents, undergo efforts to reform his behavior. And he did, unless evidence emerges to prove that he's still doing it. 12 years after he stopped, the fact that he did it at 14 years old was exposed, and he acknowledged that what he did back then was wrong.
That is, he is a former pederast (though technically he was also underage) who repented of his behavior and stopped.
(Also, not to defend Josh Duggar's past behavior, but what was described sounded relatively mild as far as sexual assault goes.)

Basically it's no more hypocritical than defending the reputation of a man who did marijuana for a time many years ago and regretted it while pushing for a marijuana ban (setting aside the question of whether or not marijuana is bad). That is, it's not hypocritical at all.
Essentially this thread is but another "Let's Bash the GOP" thread, a pastime of choice for Liberals these days it seems.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 11:00:15 PM
At 5/22/2015 10:58:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Josh Duggar's behavior was dealt with and he did, with the help of his parents, undergo efforts to reform his behavior. And he did, unless evidence emerges to prove that he's still doing it. 12 years after he stopped, the fact that he did it at 14 years old was exposed, and he acknowledged that what he did back then was wrong.
That is, he is a former pederast (though technically he was also underage) who repented of his behavior and stopped.
(Also, not to defend Josh Duggar's past behavior, but what was described sounded relatively mild as far as sexual assault goes.)

Basically it's no more hypocritical than defending the reputation of a man who did marijuana for a time many years ago and regretted it while pushing for a marijuana ban (setting aside the question of whether or not marijuana is bad). That is, it's not hypocritical at all.
Essentially this thread is but another "Let's Bash the GOP" thread, a pastime of choice for Liberals these days it seems.

Considering that a pretty trustworthy and intelligent Liberal member of DDO made a thread like this, I cannot help but wonder whether or not most of the criticism of the GOP out there is based on misrepresentation and faulty logic...

The DDO Blog:

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 11:20:17 PM

I'm not even a liberal, first of all. And I'm not bashing the GOP, just a wacky group of people who are associated with them. The fact remains that a man who is a previous molester, worked extensively with an organization which pushes the ridiculous and harmful idea that gay men are somehow inherently pedophilic (http://www.frc.org..., this point was aped in this piece: http://www.frc.org..., and then applied to the boy scouts in this piece, during Duggar's tenure: http://downloads.frc.org...) while himself being a former child molester. This isn't about Duggar, it's about the position which he was in, and the views which the organization that he helped to direct promulgated during his tenure, and how he was guilty of the very thing which he was using as an excuse to smear gay men as dangerous to children. That is a textbook example of hypocrisy. Someone who is possesses an ounce of moral integrity and is a 'repentant child molester' does not help to spread the idea that innocent people are dangerous to children because they might molest them, and that children should be removed from their care for this. He lost his right to accuse me, YYW, bsh1, Harder, and brian of being a danger to children to the point that we should be denied the ability to care them when he fondled a child during her sleep. The fact that you can't see this is just sad.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 12:18:46 AM
At 5/22/2015 11:20:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I'm not even a liberal, first of all. And I'm not bashing the GOP, just a wacky group of people who are associated with them. The fact remains that a man who is a previous molester, worked extensively with an organization which pushes the ridiculous and harmful idea that gay men are somehow inherently pedophilic (http://www.frc.org..., this point was aped in this piece: http://www.frc.org..., and then applied to the boy scouts in this piece, during Duggar's tenure: http://downloads.frc.org...) while himself being a former child molester. This isn't about Duggar, it's about the position which he was in, and the views which the organization that he helped to direct promulgated during his tenure, and how he was guilty of the very thing which he was using as an excuse to smear gay men as dangerous to children. That is a textbook example of hypocrisy. Someone who is possesses an ounce of moral integrity and is a 'repentant child molester' does not help to spread the idea that innocent people are dangerous to children because they might molest them, and that children should be removed from their care for this. He lost his right to accuse me, YYW, bsh1, Harder, and brian of being a danger to children to the point that we should be denied the ability to care them when he fondled a child during her sleep. The fact that you can't see this is just sad.

Still, if the idea that gay=pedophile were in fact true, then he would still have a valid point; he stopped being one but gays (who in this analogy equaled pedophiles) are still gay. It's like the former alcoholic telling the current alcoholics they need to control themselves; since he did in fact stop he does have a right to speak against current pedophiles. In fact, his better understanding of it (him having been in their shoes at one point) may even give him a better ability to address current pedophiles.
Still, I do disagree with homosexuality being considered synonymous with pedophilia, though I do consider both behaviors to be immoral (though not on the same level). He's not so much a hypocrite as he is incorrect.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 12:20:02 AM
At 5/23/2015 12:18:46 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Still, if the idea that gay=pedophile were in fact true, then he would still have a valid point; he stopped being one but gays (who in this analogy equaled pedophiles) are still gay. It's like the former alcoholic telling the current alcoholics they need to control themselves; since he did in fact stop he does have a right to speak against current pedophiles. In fact, his better understanding of it (him having been in their shoes at one point) may even give him a better ability to address current pedophiles.
Still, I do disagree with homosexuality being considered synonymous with pedophilia, though I do consider both behaviors to be immoral (though not on the same level). He's not so much a hypocrite as he is incorrect.

Now, if he were STILL molesting children then he'd definitely be a hypocrite.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 12:23:15 AM
And to be fair, that a 14 year old boy does something really retarded is more acceptable than a 55 year old man doing it.

The DDO Blog:

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 7:26:49 PM
You would hate Jean Valjean.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 7:50:32 PM
At 5/23/2015 7:26:49 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
You would hate Jean Valjean.

I would hate Jean Valjean if he went on to found an organization dedicated to exposing former thieves and denying them employment while hiding his own past. He didn't do that.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 7:57:53 PM
At 5/23/2015 12:23:15 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
And to be fair, that a 14 year old boy does something really retarded is more acceptable than a 55 year old man doing it.

This isn't getting stoned once or twice, or underage drinking, or any other crime in which the victim is only oneself. He fondled several of his sisters and other young girls, the youngest sister being five years old at the time. His sisters told his parents, and they covered this up until the statute of limitations expired. That is a heinous crime, both of the son and of the parents, which likely damaged the girls permanently. Both the actual violation, and the fact that their parents, when the victims confided in them, chose to send their son to work for a friend of the family in construction instead of seeking therapy for either the injured party or the molester and then allowed the son to continue to live with them upon his return. This isn't 'really retarded', it is a horrendous violation of trust and decency which would deeply disturb any morally grounded person. Just the thought of doing that to one of my younger siblings, who look to me for protection and guidance, disgusts me utterly.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 8:04:07 PM

That's not an accurate analogy at all. He didn't found a pedophilia support group, or seek to expand psychiatric treatment, or fight to bring these issues to light, or do anything which requires an ounce of moral courage, goodwill, and integrity. He buried his own transgressions and then dedicated his career to an organization which regularly smears 9 million innocent citizens as a danger to children. That's like a former alcoholic covering up his past and then devoting his life to denying adoption to Native Americans on the justification that they're statistically more likely to have alcohol abuse issues.

One can be both a hypocrite and incorrect. I'm not accusing you of hypocrisy.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 8:21:29 PM
At 5/23/2015 8:04:07 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

That's not an accurate analogy at all. He didn't found a pedophilia support group, or seek to expand psychiatric treatment, or fight to bring these issues to light, or do anything which requires an ounce of moral courage, goodwill, and integrity. He buried his own transgressions and then dedicated his career to an organization which regularly smears 9 million innocent citizens as a danger to children. That's like a former alcoholic covering up his past and then devoting his life to denying adoption to Native Americans on the justification that they're statistically more likely to have alcohol abuse issues.

Since he considers gays and pedophiles to be pretty much the same thing, it's more the equivalent of a former alcoholic devoting his life to denying adoption to alcoholics, or at least a group of people who he thinks consists almost entirely of alcoholics. While Josh Duggar definitely should've admitted to what he did, he technically is no longer (as far as we know) engaging in pedophilia. Now, if he were to say "anyone who has molested a child should be killed" while keeping his past a secret, that'd be hypocritical for sure. But if his intent is trying to keep kids safe rather than to punish those who he considers pedophiles (setting aside the question of whether or not homosexuals are actually pedophiles), then it's not necessarily hypocritical; he is no longer a danger to children (in theory, anyway) and he's trying to protect children from people who currently are (or so he thinks).
I still don't really see the hypocrisy.

One can be both a hypocrite and incorrect. I'm not accusing you of hypocrisy.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 8:24:47 PM
At 5/23/2015 7:57:53 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

This isn't getting stoned once or twice, or underage drinking, or any other crime in which the victim is only oneself. He fondled several of his sisters and other young girls, the youngest sister being five years old at the time. His sisters told his parents, and they covered this up until the statute of limitations expired. That is a heinous crime, both of the son and of the parents, which likely damaged the girls permanently. Both the actual violation, and the fact that their parents, when the victims confided in them, chose to send their son to work for a friend of the family in construction instead of seeking therapy for either the injured party or the molester and then allowed the son to continue to live with them upon his return. This isn't 'really retarded', it is a horrendous violation of trust and decency which would deeply disturb any morally grounded person. Just the thought of doing that to one of my younger siblings, who look to me for protection and guidance, disgusts me utterly.

He didn't blatantly force them down and have sex with them; rather, he touched them (presumably with his hands) in private areas of their bodies. It's certainly humiliating, but I don't see (forgive me if I'm wrong) how that would scar someone permanently.

The DDO Blog:

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 8:32:18 PM
The man is an utter moron, but I don't think he's a hypocrit in the true sense of the word. A hypocrit is someone who engages in the very behavior they denounce. Since the man committed those crimes before he became active in politics, and since he admits they were immoral, he's not a hypocrit. You're only a hypocrit if you act in a way that is contradictory to your *current* beliefs. Although, I'll admit that it is exceedingly silly for an ex-pedophile to be lecturing us on the dangers of homosexuals.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 8:38:07 PM
At 5/23/2015 8:24:47 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/23/2015 7:57:53 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

He didn't blatantly force them down and have sex with them; rather, he touched them (presumably with his hands) in private areas of their bodies. It's certainly humiliating, but I don't see (forgive me if I'm wrong) how that would scar someone permanently.

I agree that it doesn't *seem* like it should scar someone for life (same goes for rape) it certainly can and often does. Do you realize what percent of serial killers were molested as children?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 10:07:43 PM
At 5/23/2015 8:32:18 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
The man is an utter moron, but I don't think he's a hypocrit in the true sense of the word. A hypocrit is someone who engages in the very behavior they denounce. Since the man committed those crimes before he became active in politics, and since he admits they were immoral, he's not a hypocrit. You're only a hypocrit if you act in a way that is contradictory to your *current* beliefs. Although, I'll admit that it is exceedingly silly for an ex-pedophile to be lecturing us on the dangers of homosexuals.

It's spelled "hypocrite".

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 12:51:50 PM
At 5/23/2015 10:34:55 PM, TN05 wrote:
How does Lena Dunham still have a TV show and job?(http://www.mediaite.com...)

What's even more disturbing is that the person in question is a woman.

The DDO Blog:

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 12:55:46 PM
At 5/23/2015 10:07:43 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/23/2015 8:32:18 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It's spelled "hypocrite".

Oops lol
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:01:34 PM

A deal breaker for what? I don't see the hypocrisy.
Also, what are underaged girls? He, himself, was underaged, wasn't he?
My work here is, finally, done.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:10:41 PM
At 5/25/2015 1:01:34 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Apparently, Duggar can head an organization which says that gay people shouldn't be allowed to adopt children because they might molest them, and Huckabee is fine with this, they're 'protecting the family'. So attacking 9 million people and insinuating that they are dangerous pedophiles is a-okay.

But call an actual admitted molester a molester, and oh, that's completely uncalled for. It's being sensationalized.

On Duggar's part, accusing homosexuals en masse of dangerous pedophilic tendencies and arguing that they should be denied the age of children while yourself raising children as an admitted child molester is such an egregious case of hypocrisy that I question the honesty of anyone who refuses to see it.

And then I point out that this is blatant hypocrisy on both counts, and I'm a rabid, intellectually dishonest liberal.

He was fourteen, and he molested his five year old sister (the youngest of the girls that I know of). Four years is the standard age gap. Is that behavior acceptable to you?
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:19:08 PM
At 5/25/2015 1:10:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Apparently, Duggar can head an organization which says that gay people shouldn't be allowed to adopt children because they might molest them, and Huckabee is fine with this, they're 'protecting the family'. So attacking 9 million people and insinuating that they are dangerous pedophiles is a-okay.

But call an actual admitted molester a molester, and oh, that's completely uncalled for. It's being sensationalized.

On Duggar's part, accusing homosexuals en masse of dangerous pedophilic tendencies and arguing that they should be denied the age of children while yourself raising children as an admitted child molester is such an egregious case of hypocrisy that I question the honesty of anyone who refuses to see it.

And then I point out that this is blatant hypocrisy on both counts, and I'm a rabid, intellectually dishonest liberal.

He was fourteen, and he molested his five year old sister (the youngest of the girls that I know of). Four years is the standard age gap. Is that behavior acceptable to you?

Wait; it actually listed who his victims were?

The DDO Blog:

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:20:01 PM
At 5/25/2015 1:19:08 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

All of his sisters except for the oldest ones, I believe.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:21:15 PM
At 5/25/2015 1:20:01 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

But isn't he the oldest kid?

The DDO Blog:

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:31:29 PM
At 5/25/2015 1:21:15 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/25/2015 1:20:01 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Here's the relevant page of the report. Four victims lived in the home with him, and he had five sisters at the time, ages 12, 11, 10, 9 and 5.

The original source of the rumor (during the Oprah taping) claims the the oldest girl was never touched, so PoE leaves the other four.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:32:08 PM
At 5/25/2015 1:21:15 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Woops, forgot the link

http://imgur.com...
- Hilaire Belloc -