Jump to topic:

Liberals?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 7:48:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have had a hard time listening to some tea party supporters who bash Liberals; they blame liberals for everything that went wrong in America and wish that they would fade out.

This seems extremely ignorant.

With out liberals, in the 60's, we would still be fighting against equality for women and blacks.

That is just one example in a list of many. The tea party people love to bring up the mistakes of Carter when discussing liberal presidents but "conservatives" make as many mistakes, Reagan being one of them. Is they anyone here that agrees with the premiss of letting the Liberals all die?

I hereby declare that conservatives have done as bad as liberals in running America to the ground.

Reagan was as bad as FDR, if not worse.
Bush (1) was as bad as Truman, if not worse.
Nixon was as bad as Clinton, if not worse.

Just ranting.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 7:50:46 PM
Tea Party Patriots can rarely hold their ground in a debate because their belief structures are based in catch phrases ad infinitum from talk radio.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 7:55:32 PM
At 8/10/2010 7:48:45 PM, comoncents wrote:
I have had a hard time listening to some tea party supporters who bash Liberals; they blame liberals for everything that went wrong in America and wish that they would fade out.

With out liberals, in the 60's, we would still be fighting against equality for women and blacks.

That is just one example in a list of many. The tea party people love to bring up the mistakes of Carter when discussing liberal presidents but "conservatives" make as many mistakes, Reagan being one of them. Is there anyone here that agrees with the premises of letting the Liberals all die?

I hereby declare that conservatives have done as bad as liberals in running America to the ground.

Just ranting.

My bad. Watching tv. Sorry.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 8:36:16 PM

That is just one example in a list of many. The tea party people love to bring up the mistakes of Carter when discussing liberal presidents but "conservatives" make as many mistakes, Reagan being one of them. Is they anyone here that agrees with the premiss of letting the Liberals all die?

Just ranting.

Seconded. And seconded of whoever pointed out that TPs' entire platform is based on phrases.

TPs don't know a damn thing about the period of US history they've built their entire group on. They don't know what a revolution is and they'd piss their pants if one happened.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 8:37:50 PM
At 8/10/2010 8:36:16 PM, Yvette wrote:

Just ranting.

Seconded. And seconded of whoever pointed out that TPs' entire platform is based on phrases.

TPs don't know a damn thing about the period of US history they've built their entire group on. They don't know what a revolution is and they'd piss their pants if one happened.

Guess what, Yvette, I'M BACK!!! ;D
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 8:41:18 PM
At 8/10/2010 8:39:15 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/10/2010 8:37:50 PM, cjl wrote:

Guess what, Yvette, I'M BACK!!! ;D

Must you announce it here? -__-

Sorry for interupting you INH.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 8:52:04 PM
The Tea Partiers should be more aptly named the Soundbiters, because most of them listen to the ten-or-fifteen second soundbites from Beck, Limbaugh, Gingrich and Palin, and think it's the Voice of God.

It's sad when a movement that could have done some good ends up being another stupid partisan political tool.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 8:53:25 PM
At 8/10/2010 8:52:04 PM, Volkov wrote:
It's sad when a movement that could have done some good ends up being another stupid partisan political tool.

Yep. I was so excited after the first rally, but in the second, it was apparent it was just a recruiting tool for the Republican Party and its affiliates.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 9:17:36 AM

By liberals, do you mean Democrats, or people with liberal/progressive tendencies, in general (or in key situations)?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 9:20:34 AM
At 8/11/2010 9:17:36 AM, USAPitBull63 wrote:

By liberals, do you mean Democrats, or people with liberal/progressive tendencies, in general (or in key situations)?

I think that they speak of democrats with the term Liberal.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 10:17:39 AM

Without liberals the 13 colonies would still be colonies.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 10:27:49 AM

Just ranting.

There is equal blame to go around, and the thin facade of labeling people as liberal or conservative is nothing more than keeping people divided so they can be conquered on a mass level. How significant is it arguing about conservatism, or liberalism when both parties are the ones in power they lie, steal, kill, start unjust wars to spark the economy. We need to reform the whole disparaging Gubernatorial system.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 12:45:39 PM

At 8/11/2010 9:20:34 AM, comoncents wrote:

Well, if you (or "they") feel "democrats" is synonymous with "liberal," then your statement about blacks and women is severely flawed.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 12:52:50 PM
At 8/11/2010 12:45:39 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:

At 8/11/2010 9:20:34 AM, comoncents wrote:

Well, if you (or "they") feel "democrats" is synonymous with "liberal," then your statement about blacks and women is severely flawed.

USA is correct, it was the democrats that were blocking the civil rights act in the 60's. Not to mention the bulk of the cold war was instigated and pushed forward by democrats.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 12:57:02 PM
At 8/11/2010 12:52:50 PM, innomen wrote:
USA is correct, it was the democrats that were blocking the civil rights act in the 60's. Not to mention the bulk of the cold war was instigated and pushed forward by democrats.

Well, you have to actually separate these discussions into two eras when dealing with them.

On the civil rights issue, the Democrats did indeed lead the charge against it. Or, at the least, Dixiecrats, who were the rump caucus in the Democrats at the time, but held enough power and experience to cause problems. It wasn't until LBJ that this tradition started to break, and the formerly fairly liberal Republicans started to become more reluctant to support civil rights (they got a new base + members).

On the Cold War, it was a bipartisan effort to pursue it. You can't lay total blame on either party for what happened during that era. Both the Democrats and the GOP did some not-so-pleasant things, and support some not-so-nice dictators.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 12:59:04 PM
At 8/11/2010 12:57:02 PM, Volkov wrote:
On the Cold War, it was a bipartisan effort to pursue it. You can't lay total blame on either party for what happened during that era. Both the Democrats and the GOP did some not-so-pleasant things, and support some not-so-nice dictators.

Furthermore, there was a heavy Democratic subset that tried (and usually failed) to push the Dems away from pursuing Cold War policies. That didn't exist at the same strength or passion in the GOP.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 1:10:55 PM
At 8/11/2010 12:57:02 PM, Volkov wrote:

I specifically said instigated and pushed. Truman - Korea, JFK & LBJ - Vietnam. Of course there was the Carter fiasco in his attempt at "detente". You're right the GOP were part of it too, but the point is that the dems weren't exactly peacenicks as their 'liberal' ideal would connote.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 1:13:29 PM
At 8/11/2010 1:10:55 PM, innomen wrote:
I specifically said instigated and pushed. Truman - Korea, JFK & LBJ - Vietnam. Of course there was the Carter fiasco in his attempt at "detente". You're right the GOP were part of it too, but the point is that the dems weren't exactly peacenicks as their 'liberal' ideal would connote.

Of course not, though the Republicans loved to point out that subset I mentioned, the ones who were "peaceniks," in an attempt to discredit them.

Plus, look what happened after LBJ was cast down - you got anti-war politicians like McGovern running as the party's standard-bearer.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 1:18:14 PM
At 8/11/2010 1:13:29 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/11/2010 1:10:55 PM, innomen wrote:

Of course not, though the Republicans loved to point out that subset I mentioned, the ones who were "peaceniks," in an attempt to discredit them.

Well that's just politics. There is such a thing as a prudent use of strength.

Plus, look what happened after LBJ was cast down - you got anti-war politicians like McGovern running as the party's standard-bearer.
Yeah, an unrealistic idealistic man.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:28:57 PM
Conservatives are the problem, and Liberals are the answer that doesn't fix the problem - indefinitely. Probably the only thing one needs to take away from politics.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:32:32 PM
At 8/11/2010 7:28:57 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Conservatives are the problem, and Liberals are the answer that doesn't fix the problem - indefinitely. Probably the only thing one needs to take away from politics.

Not necessarily. Actually, I may not agree with conservatives on most economic issues, but I certainly agree with them on social issues. Yea, my views are weird.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:14:12 PM
At 8/11/2010 7:32:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Not necessarily. Actually, I may not agree with conservatives on most economic issues, but I certainly agree with them on social issues. Yea, my views are weird.

Your profile says you're against the border fence, for civil unions and gay marriage, against the death penalty, for medical marijuana, for environmental protection, for euthanasia, for flag burning, undecided on gun rights, and against patriotism.

How do you consider yourself a social conservative?
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:17:11 PM

you're Pro social programs, social security, welfare, labour unions, minimum wage, flag burning ... and Con patriotism, and capital punishment. Maybe still conservative by Canadian standards, but in the US that pretty much makes you a flaming liberal.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 9:32:51 PM
At 8/11/2010 8:14:12 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

Your profile says you're against the border fence, for civil unions and gay marriage, against the death penalty, for medical marijuana, for environmental protection, for euthanasia, for flag burning, undecided on gun rights, and against patriotism.

Well to be fair, I am con on abortion.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 7:52:28 AM
At 8/11/2010 9:32:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/11/2010 8:14:12 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

Well to be fair, I am con on abortion.

People don't go Con on abortion to be fair, they go Con on abortion for exactly the opposite reasoning. You're no Sarah Palin, you're a hard-left Liberal in denial.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 8:14:48 AM
I have had a hard time listening to some tea party supporters who bash Liberals; they blame liberals for everything that went wrong in America and wish that they would fade out.:

That's because the term "liberal" has been hijacked. I'm a classical liberal, but far from modern descriptions of Big "L" Liberals/Progressives.

With out liberals, in the 60's, we would still be fighting against equality for women and blacks.:

Slavery ended like over 100 years before 1960, and the suffrage movement was about 40-50 years earlier.

Is they anyone here that agrees with the premiss of letting the Liberals all die?:

No, that's obviously ridiculously extreme.

I hereby declare that conservatives have done as bad as liberals in running America to the ground.:

Agreed. In my mind Liberals and Conservatives are flipsides of the same coin, and both are endemic of the overall problem.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)