Kids react to Cait Jenner

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 10:10:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
https://www.youtube.com...

Do you think this is staged? I mean, how often do you hear a bunch of 9 year olds use the word "empathetic" so casually?
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 11:11:07 AM
At 6/10/2015 10:10:59 AM, ben2974 wrote:

Do you think this is staged? I mean, how often do you hear a bunch of 9 year olds use the word "empathetic" so casually?

Well, it does not appear "staged" more than a video production already implies a given amount of staging. You mean "scripted"? No, I don't think so. It was just one girl who used the word empathetic. True, that is uncommon, but it is uncommon for a lot of adults to use it as well. This just means that her parents or teachers have used the word around her and explained its meaning to her. That is one of the many benefits of having educated parents.

Kids are quite open minded about these sorts of things until adults condition them otherwise...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 11:15:50 AM

I doubt the kids were coached, but yes staged in the kids they chose to interview. They surely didn't have a kid who hears his dad ranting about Caitlin in negative ways.

The other thing to keep in mind too is that kids in school consistently hear the message about individualism and uniqueness and that all should respect each other regardless of how different one is.

It is a great message for a society that values individualism rather than conformance. Those who preach the evilness or sickness of transgenderism are really preaching conformance and adherence to the norm. When you get down to it, it is for no reason that impacts themselves, but just to play a part in herding individuals to what they define as the norm.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 1:34:28 PM
At 6/10/2015 11:11:07 AM, Fly wrote:

Well, it does not appear "staged" more than a video production already implies a given amount of staging. You mean "scripted"? No, I don't think so. It was just one girl who used the word empathetic. True, that is uncommon, but it is uncommon for a lot of adults to use it as well. This just means that her parents or teachers have used the word around her and explained its meaning to her. That is one of the many benefits of having educated parents.

Kids are quite open minded about these sorts of things until adults condition them otherwise...

Yeah sorry I meant scripted. I was also surprised by how they spoke in general, and how everything they said had relatively deep thematic importance to the issue at hand. I'm not a kid but I don't remember myself being able to speak cogently at that age.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 1:53:10 PM
At 6/10/2015 11:15:50 AM, slo1 wrote:

I doubt the kids were coached, but yes staged in the kids they chose to interview. They surely didn't have a kid who hears his dad ranting about Caitlin in negative ways.

The other thing to keep in mind too is that kids in school consistently hear the message about individualism and uniqueness and that all should respect each other regardless of how different one is.

It is a great message for a society that values individualism rather than conformance. Those who preach the evilness or sickness of transgenderism are really preaching conformance and adherence to the norm. When you get down to it, it is for no reason that impacts themselves, but just to play a part in herding individuals to what they define as the norm.

I agree with everything pretty much.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 4:59:50 PM

Not 'conditioned', educated is the better word. Even if one is never taught about transgenderism, their view on it will probably change with education.

There is also a huge social pressure to conform to the pro-LGBT paradigm of modern society, where any anti-transgender opinion is shut out, demonised and accused of bigotry. Kids generally have opinions that fit in with their peers, especially if they are ignorant of the issue at hand.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 5:51:53 PM
At 6/10/2015 4:59:50 PM, Philocat wrote:

Not 'conditioned', educated is the better word. Even if one is never taught about transgenderism, their view on it will probably change with education.

There is also a huge social pressure to conform to the pro-LGBT paradigm of modern society, where any anti-transgender opinion is shut out, demonised and accused of bigotry. Kids generally have opinions that fit in with their peers, especially if they are ignorant of the issue at hand.

By conditioning, I mean being taught what to think, whereas education implies a more just the facts, draw your own conclusions approach.

Your second statement makes no sense; it is internally contradictory: even if one isn't taught, one's views will change with education?

You might want to rethink that one...
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:03:38 AM
At 6/10/2015 5:51:53 PM, Fly wrote:

By conditioning, I mean being taught what to think, whereas education implies a more just the facts, draw your own conclusions approach.

Your second statement makes no sense; it is internally contradictory: even if one isn't taught, one's views will change with education?

What I mean is, if a child goes through school but is never explicitly taught about transgenderism, their view on it will still probably change because their whole worldview will change.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 2:45:52 PM
At 6/11/2015 1:03:38 AM, Philocat wrote:

What I mean is, if a child goes through school but is never explicitly taught about transgenderism, their view on it will still probably change because their whole worldview will change.

Are you able to expand on that? As it stands, you are not really adding information. You are basically saying, "Kids' views evolve as they grow older." That is not profound. And taken in the context of what you said earlier, that there is "huge social pressure to conform to the pro LGBT paradigm," I REALLY do not know what you mean by kids' views changing... rebelling against that pressure, or becoming more passionate about it, or what...
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 5:15:44 PM
At 6/11/2015 2:45:52 PM, Fly wrote:

Are you able to expand on that? As it stands, you are not really adding information. You are basically saying, "Kids' views evolve as they grow older." That is not profound. And taken in the context of what you said earlier, that there is "huge social pressure to conform to the pro LGBT paradigm," I REALLY do not know what you mean by kids' views changing... rebelling against that pressure, or becoming more passionate about it, or what...

Kids generally don't know much about transgenderism and most don't understand the full implications of a sex change, which means 2 things:

1. They will have an over-simplistic take on the issue, not realising all the problems that come with it. To them, choosing to behave as a different sex is a simple decision, since they haven't gotten into puberty and began to realise the stark differences between men and women.

2. Because they don't understand the issue, they will assume that the socially-acceptable view (in this case, being pro-transgender) is right, and even if they have doubts, they will still probably align with the status quo because their peers are more likely to have that view.

When people grow up, three things happen:

1. People recognise more fundamental differences between men and women.

2. People become more free-thinking and less likely to fit their views with their peers'.

3. People will become more knowledgeable about the human body and sex, and hence recognise the problematic issues with transgenderism.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 7:20:17 PM
At 6/11/2015 5:15:44 PM, Philocat wrote:

Kids generally don't know much about transgenderism and most don't understand the full implications of a sex change, which means 2 things:

1. They will have an over-simplistic take on the issue, not realising all the problems that come with it. To them, choosing to behave as a different sex is a simple decision, since they haven't gotten into puberty and began to realise the stark differences between men and women.

2. Because they don't understand the issue, they will assume that the socially-acceptable view (in this case, being pro-transgender) is right, and even if they have doubts, they will still probably align with the status quo because their peers are more likely to have that view.

2. People become more free-thinking and less likely to fit their views with their peers'.

3. People will become more knowledgeable about the human body and sex, and hence recognise the problematic issues with transgenderism.

How does any of that conflict with the sentiments the kids expressed about another person's freedom of choice?
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 3:00:51 AM

I honestly don't care if it's staged... that video actually made me mad. As in physically mad. The children said nothing useful. They spouted vapid bromides that have no actual depth or rigor. If you want to make a logical argument, sure, but trying to make a point by saying "oh, look at how these little kids have emotions" is the stupidest way to debate in the world.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 7:55:33 AM
At 6/11/2015 7:20:17 PM, Fly wrote:

How does any of that conflict with the sentiments the kids expressed about another person's freedom of choice?

Because they don't understand the gravity of the choice that is being made. Everyone accepts that people have a freedom of choice, but depending on what the choice is.

The deal is, there isn't really much of a visible difference between pre-pubescent boys and pre-pubescent girls, so deciding to switch genders isn't really a big deal to children. Furthermore, most kids don't realise the bodily alterations that have to be undertaken by people like Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.

But once puberty happens, the fundamental differences between the sexes becomes more apparent, and the role of sexual relations becomes more prevalent. Once kids go through this stage, they will realise that transgenderism is far more problematic than simply deciding to dress up as the opposite sex.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 8:41:50 AM

Whenever there is conformity pressure to allow individuals freedom, especially when an individual's pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness does not impact another s ability to pursuit life, liberty, and happiness that is a great thing.

In other words pressure to conform to a standard of liberty does not equal to pressure to conform to gender standards. One is good and the other is bad.

If you want to argue that trangendersim is an affront for your ability to pursuit life, liberty, and happiness then go for it.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 12:06:07 PM
At 6/12/2015 7:55:33 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 6/11/2015 7:20:17 PM, Fly wrote:

Because they don't understand the gravity of the choice that is being made. Everyone accepts that people have a freedom of choice, but depending on what the choice is.

The deal is, there isn't really much of a visible difference between pre-pubescent boys and pre-pubescent girls, so deciding to switch genders isn't really a big deal to children. Furthermore, most kids don't realise the bodily alterations that have to be undertaken by people like Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.

But once puberty happens, the fundamental differences between the sexes becomes more apparent, and the role of sexual relations becomes more prevalent. Once kids go through this stage, they will realise that transgenderism is far more problematic than simply deciding to dress up as the opposite sex.

So, even knowing that it IS a big deal for the person making the choice, how will that substantively alter the views of the people interviewed in the video? I still do not see the conflict you are proposing between knowledge and acceptance.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 1:34:51 PM
At 6/12/2015 8:41:50 AM, slo1 wrote:

Whenever there is conformity pressure to allow individuals freedom, especially when an individual's pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness does not impact another s ability to pursuit life, liberty, and happiness that is a great thing.

In other words pressure to conform to a standard of liberty does not equal to pressure to conform to gender standards. One is good and the other is bad.

If you want to argue that trangendersim is an affront for your ability to pursuit life, liberty, and happiness then go for it.

Well, we're a social species. We view communities as part of our individuality; they help to define who you are and shape the culture you help to define and live by. So when you have someone that does something like this, it can certainly affect your pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness (and whatever other arbitrary "pursuits" one may have). If your community is part of what drives your pursuit of these goals, then what others choose to do with their bodies is a problem.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 1:53:03 PM
At 6/14/2015 1:34:51 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 6/12/2015 8:41:50 AM, slo1 wrote:

Well, we're a social species. We view communities as part of our individuality; they help to define who you are and shape the culture you help to define and live by. So when you have someone that does something like this, it can certainly affect your pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness (and whatever other arbitrary "pursuits" one may have). If your community is part of what drives your pursuit of these goals, then what others choose to do with their bodies is a problem.

I actually don't accept my argument here lol.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 2:19:57 PM

That was likely staged.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 8:11:46 PM

Not necessarily. They probably deliberately chose kids indoctrinated with liberalism, but I wouldn't say the video was necessarily scripted. Empathetic isn't a very difficult word either; at least, I can my 9-year-old self saying it, or the Chinese word (tonglixin / tung lei sam).
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 8:17:34 PM

I'm inclined to agree with that.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...